“Lorry's Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lorry's Island End Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lorry's Island End Motel
23 Washington Avenue, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in Beach Haven
new york
“Lorry's Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

A last minute decision to stay overnight on Long Beach Island brought us to Lorry's. The review on Trip Advisor were good and we were basically looking for a clean, reasonably priced room so that we didn't have to drive all the way home. This was reasonably priced considering the other options available (all over $225 dollars) on the Island.
Lorry's is a MOTEL - not a hotel. It is 2 stories, the doors open to the outside, not a lobby and it genuinly has a seaside beach feel to it in a good way! There is no pool but you don't need one because you are very close to the beach.
Spoke to Bill on the phone and he was very pleasant and accomodating. I told him we'd be arriving around 3pm to check in. We ended up getting to the motel around 5pm because we were having such a great day on the beach. Bill met us outside the motel, introduced us to some of the staff who were busy painting and maintaining the motel, and showed us to our room. We were on the first floor and the room was obviously recently renovated since Sandy. Bill explained the state the room was in prior to renovations and they did a great job renovating. The room was large with a king bed, very large refrigerator, cabinets for storage, flat screen TV and a couch and loveseat. The bathroom was small and clean and there was a seperate area for showering, which had storage space for towels and clothes. We also had a second bedroom which had a full size bed and bunks.
The courtyard was really lovely, quiet and clean with 3 large new barbeques, tables and chairs and a gazebo. It is much nicer than it looks in the pictures. Yes, there are ashtrays everywhere as some of the other reviews noted but I would much rather see that than cigarette butts all over the nicely maintained grounds. The ashtrays were clean, by the way, not piled with cigarette butts. We didn't use the area but if we stayed longer, we would have. We were very happy with our selection and will definitley return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor have been renovated. We stayed in room 3.

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed in one of the small queen bed rooms for one night last week to celebrate my birthday. The room was very small, like we expected, but was clean. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were soft and clean. I LOVED the location - just perfect! So close to the beach and the bay. We plan on going back again and bringing the whole family.

I do wish the towels were nicer. They were VERY thin. Also a couple hand towels would have been nice. I think that next time, we would bring our own towels.

I also think that having a light-weight blanket on the bed would be nice. It was just the sheets and the bedspread. We'll bring a blanket next time too. Not because the temperature was too cool - the temp in our room was just right. We just don't like sleeping with just a sheet.

We really liked having the ceiling fan in our room and the fridge and microwave.

Paying $5 for beach badges at the beach is easier than having an extra $50 in cash for the deposit and then you don't have to worry about it.

No frills at this place - but we weren't expecting any. If you compare it with camping, it is much better and more comfortable! We have camped at the beach before and this was much nicer. Our room was very clean and the people were friendly. And the location is perfect!!!!! We loved our time there and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had never been to this end of the island and it was beautiful!! We stayed at Lorry's Island motel and it was close to the beach and very reasonably priced. It is nice and quite. There are plenty of places to go to eat or shop a few miles up the road. We would stay there again

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having returned from yet another wonderful beach getaway and visiting my favorite little quaint motel on the island! I was unsure what to expect from the island after Hurricane Sandy, Lorry's was exactly as before the storm. She survived and the owner, was able to make her look like nothing ever happened! Our room was perfect for my husband and I, and the staff were fantastic as always! The location is perfect for walks to the beach and sunsets on bay. The neighborhood is as always family friendly and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Westchester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at Lorry's from July 12-15 for a long weekend getaway with my best friend. We are both on a tight budget and chose this place because of the price. Based on our conversation with Bill when we booked the trip, and looking at the website, we knew it was not going to be a 4 or 5 star resort. I was actually pleasantly surprised as I had expected it to be much more rinky-dink than it was. If you are expecting luxury, you WILL be disappointed! I don't feel sorry for the people who wrote negative reviews because they make it very clear on their website that this is meant to be a budget motel. They give you all the necessities and not much more. Let me break the whole trip down with some pros/cons.

Pros:
-LOCATION! The motel is almost at the bottom tip of the island. There are maybe two or three blocks to the end. It's one very short block to the beach. We had an *almost* view of the bay out our window- as in, we could crane our necks and catch a glimpse of the sunset. Nothing to write home about, but still cool. The area is very quiet. It's a 5-10 minute drive from where the stores and restaurants start.
-The staff. Everyone was SO friendly and kind. I could tell that they were all bending over backwards to make it a good experience for their guests.
-Bikes. We loved having them available. There's a bike lane all the way up the main road (maybe not all the way but we didn't get quite that far). Really nice way to explore the area. The bikes are old and rusty, as some other reviews have said. They work just fine but I hope they consider upgrading soon.
-Full sized refrigerator. We did eat dinner out but saved money on lunch by bringing cold cuts. Also nice to be able to have space to bring back leftovers from dinner and store fruit, cheese, soda, beer, etc.
-The courtyard. It's way nicer than it looks in the pictures. It has a nice backyard feel with trellises, picnic tables, and 3 gas grills. We didn't use the grills but we ate lunch outside every day and it was really pleasant.
-Complimentary breakfast. Yes it's just bagels and coffee. There was also OJ. Coffeemate, milk, sugar, butter, cream cheese, etc. And if they run out of something just ask for more; they have backup in the office.

Cons:
-The room was old and dingy. We were in room 8 on the 2nd floor- not one of the renovated rooms. Not horrible. We didn't spend too much time in the room anyway.
-Wasn't expecting housekeeping service, but I do wish they changed the towels at least once. The towels were old and worn out so they felt dirty quickly. I asked for a couple extras on the last day and they gave them to us without a problem, so no huge complaint there.
-Tiny shower. Seriously tiny. Perfectly functional, just tiny.
-Ash trays everywhere. On the table outside each room, on every picnic table in the courtyard. So even though there's no smoking in the rooms, you probably will smell smoke on the property anyway. I didn't appreciate going to get my bagel as people in the rooms right next to the bagel stand were sitting there smoking.

All in all we both enjoyed our stay and would absolutely choose Lorry's again!

I just wanted to add, that as a completely non-religious person, I was little put off by the "worship" section on the website. I was half concerned that they would somehow push their religious views on us as part of the stay. Not at all! So if anyone else is put off by that, don't be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We recently returned from a getaway to LBI where we stayed at Lorry's. If you have spent any time on the website you can see it is a hotel that is dearly loved and tended to. When you arrive, you will not be disappointed - the pictures are very accurate on the internet. The hotel is vibrant, clean and the staff is extremely accommodating.

The hotel was damaged in the storm, and they have worked hard to have it up and running for the summer season. I would like to offer just a few tips and gentle suggestions for the folks at Lorry's and for those planning to stay there:

1. I was traveling with a large party and was a bit disappointed as the outdoor showers are still not operating. Although the rooms are decent size, and the efficiencies enormous, the bathrooms are small. It would have been nice to been able to shower outside.

2. The sofa in the efficiency is NOT a pull out as mentioned. So if you are planning on that for a sleeping space (as I was)- plan accordingly. There is PLENTY of room to bring an air mattress and set that up as a substitute.

3. The Free Beach Badges are a wonderful perk. You must have an extra $50 cash per room to leave as a deposit though. Understandable, but just be sure you have extra money with you to putdown. NO credit cards accepted on this.

3. Please Lorry's....get mattress pads STAT. Nothing separated the mattress from the sheet, and consequently I felt like I had slept on a sofa all night.

4. I am not one to shun people who smoke at all. A few ashtrays placed around your grounds would be sufficient. There was an ashtray on every eating table and side table which seemed excessive. Nothing against smoking, but it takes away from the beauty of your beautiful Courtyard seeing ashtrays EVERYWHERE. Maybe you can designate a particular area within your Courtyard for that??

All and all- it was a fair price for a charming beach hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have just returned home from our mini vacation to LBI. We had the opportunity to stay at Lorry's Island End Motel for 3 nights. We really enjoyed our stay here! It is not a 5 star Ritz Carlton hotel but it is a 5 star family oriented motel. Everyone was so kind and made us feel like we were staying with family. The rooms were newly remodeled and very clean. We had a full size refrigerator and sink in our room which we definitely took advantage of. The courtyard was an added bonus. We were so close to the beach and not far from the action in Beach Haven. It was so quiet at night I didn't realize the motel was full! My husband and I would definitely stay here again with our kids.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lorry's Island End Motel? Share your experiences!