“A great place for a getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beach Haven
Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn
207 Third St., Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Beach Haven B&B and Inns
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“A great place for a getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife booked this place for my birthday. We got there around 9 PM and found the key to our room waiting for us with a paper with enough information to answer all of our questions. We woke to the delicious smell of breakfast cooking downstairs and were not disappointed at all with the maple sausage,french toast, bagels, juices and freshly brewed coffee, especially since we had the option of eating in the dining room or outside on the patio. We had a nice room with a private bath and soft towels. We were provided with beach tags and beach chairs plus the option of using their bikes if we wanted to take a ride. The owners were very pleasant and accommodating. After returning from the beach, we found homemade orange cake and brownies in the kitchen ( We loved the orange cake!). Great location for restaurants. The Chicken or the Egg about a block away, had the best Manhattan clam chowder on the island with an added bonus of amazing chicken pot pie. Our overall experience was very pleasant and would definitely consider staying there in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
islandguesthouse, Owner at Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. They say 90 percent of people who dont like something review, but only 1 percent of positive review get written. That just means so much more to me that you enjoyed your stay enough that you went out of your way to write! Cant wait to see you again somtime.

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
princeton, nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family spent several days at the Inn (2 adults, 2 kids). Let me start with the positive: yummy breakfast, kind and accommodating staff, good intentions, location that is about a block away from the absolutely packed beach in front of Engleside and SeaShell Resort so you were removed from that craziness. It also has a great location near the fun in Beach Haven. Now, I am a big fan of the jersey shore and understand the difficulty of trying to maintain a business that only generates income for a couple of months a year but people deserve to hear different perspectives. Although some may use the word "charming" to describe certain B&Bs, I would describe this Guest House as old, tired, and quirky. At over $400 per night, we didn't expect to have windows covered by old, worn fabric, beds with bedding that must be over 30 yrs old (1980s), and dusty storage hidden in the corners of the room. Our bathroom door did not close properly and the sink fell off the wall (which my husband easily hung back on again). We were in the Hideaway where there is no stand up shower. It was a bit awkward taking a shower outside(one shower for the inn) and then running up several flights of steps (entering the dining area from the side or else the front door). It wasn't just one major thing that put us off but MANY quirky or yucky things. Again, the staff was very nice which is the only reason I am giving 2 stars. If you close your eyes and only want a bed as a means to the beach then this place is fine. But for the money? Not so sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I never write reviews, but I just had to for this place. I booked a week long stay for my family for our summer vacation at the Island Guest House. I have 2 small kids and the room was advertised as 1 king size bed or 2 full beds (as I was hoping to get). When we got to the place we were given a room which was MAYBE suitable for 2 people (not even). It was a tiny room with a king sized bed, a TV from the 80s and a tiny bathroom which you couldn't even take showers in. When we asked if there was a better room that would accommodate 4 people we were told there was a suite available for extra $200 a night (we were already paying $300!). Our room was right next to the kitchen and every morning I could hear the staff starting to cook before 7am - they had to regard to people sleeping 2 feet away from them. Overall it was just a horrible experience, I would not recommend for anyone to stay at this place. And on top of everything I just found out my daughter got LICE while staying there. Are you [--] kidding me? HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
islandguesthouse, Owner at Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We take allegations of blackmail or threatening behavior by guests against us very seriously. This activity is strictly against Tripadvisor's guidelines and may also be illegal in many locations. A new tool has been launched to help us with this type of clientele.
Monmouth County, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I booked a room here with a shared bathroom months ago - we did our research in advanced based on this innkeepers response to a previous bad review, and the room we booked was the only room in our price range for a week-long stay that we thought would be great for us. After calling TWICE to confirm our reservation (because we still didn't receive a confirmation email two weeks after booking), imagine our surprise to arrive and learn that we'd somehow been booted from our room and booked in another that was really not our cup of tea. Apparently a computer glitch - we're STILL waiting for an apology.

Rather than give us the room we reserved (the other people had not yet checked in, and our confirmation emails from early July - we had two because we were charged the wrong rate initially) we were told we booked the other room (which clearly we did not), and finally were offered an upgrade to the Hideaway Suite for two nights. We would have to move to the room we did not like for the rest of our week long vacation. The innkeepers were not onsite and the staff, while very friendly and nice, were not empowered to help us and played middleman on the phone the entire time. That first day we'd asked about possibilities of moving into different rooms (something I think we should have been offered at the get go) but didn't hear anything back on this until it was time to check out of our "upgrade" and we asked again (The comped upgrade room was really big but, not so nice - the B&B's storage area was out in the open, there was sawdust in the bed, and no shower curtain on the bathtub - which was lovely).

The innkeeper was still not onsite, so we basically spent half a day of our vacation haggling through a middleman (in the public breakfast space), packing, moving and unpacking. During this time we were basically lied to about the price of the "upgrade" for the other room; we were told the room was going to be another $100 per night, when the price listed on the site (while we spoke with her) listed it at $40/night more than we paid on weeknights and $89 more on weekends. Still no apology, and we were pressured to make decisions right away. We expressed our discontent even further with the staff onsite, and she was able to get us an additional $50 discount. woop-de-do. but we took the room because we didn't want to be in the room we hated and knew we wouldn't get any refund based on discussion other guests were having with the middleman in public. i even told the staff person that at this point i was so upset about the situation that i wanted to check out and get a refund.

The more expensive room we moved to was fine, though the private bath was not so private (there were closet doors separating the room from the bathroom, so you could hear everything going on in there... ) and i get the sense that there was a cat in there (or so my allergies and black pants covered in animal hair suggest). Word to the wise, The Heritage Room gets a little noisy in the mornings with breakfast, despite the fan in the room; I suspect is attempted noise cancelling. My husband and I concur that this room - to us, at least - was not worth the price we'd paid. We didn't complain because we felt we'd already caused enough trouble and seemed to get nothing but excuses when we expressed discontent in general. They did come to service the room regularly; though we returned twice to find our door unlocked with all of our valuables inside (it was a bit tricky and needed to be pulled to click shut, which is understandable, it happens with older homes).

It also made me uncomfortable that the inn charged our credit card the new balance we had to pay for the upgrade without our authorization. We planned to pay this in cash. We returned home to discover that the balance that we paid in cash in person when we arrived onsite was also charged to our credit card. We had difficulty reaching the innkeeper via phone or email for a while. Eventually and thankfully this was resolved within 24 hours, but we wish that errors like this weren’t made in the first place.

All in all, this is not a great experience for us. We any not typically hard to please - I’ve never written a poor review in my life - and we understand how tricky it must be for a small business B&B on LBI right now - we do, and that's why we decided to vacation in NJ this year despite it being much more expensive than an all inclusive resort in Mexico. But this level of incompetence is just unacceptable. We won't be coming back to the Island Guest House ever. Good customer service and customer care goes way beyond being friendly and nice. When you make a mistake - whatever the reason - you need to fix it right away - the onus is on the person providing service.

To end on a positive note: Breakfasts and tea were OK - nothing gourmet, and a lot of Betty Crocker going on, but the egg dishes were very nice and there was variety every morning; again the staff was friendly; they include wifi, beach passes and have chairs and bikes on site that you can use. Loved the front porch area and there's a nice outdoor seating area where we were able to sit with some visitors in the evening. Very close to the beach and all the good stuff in Beach Haven.

Nonetheless we wouldn't recommend this place. We didn't let it ruin our time in LBI - we ate our weight in fresh scallops and peanut butter ice cream, visited the lighthouse and state park, hung out on the beach, and we even saw dolphins while we were there. :) Come to LBI, but think twice about this B&B.

Room Tip: Rooms by the kitchen are very noisy starting 7 a.m. daily - don't recommend if you're not a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Island Guest House offered clean accommodations, great location, good food, delightful outdoor shower, and great opportunity to share our mini-vacation with the family dog. We also appreciated use of facilities after check out for a nominal fee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My boyfriend visited Beach Haven every summer as a kid; it was my first time. For us both, Island Guest House was a great place to stay. It's a stone's throw from the beach and just around the corner from The Chicken and The Egg, a popular diner that's open 24 hours (They're famous for their wings and their French fries were perhaps the best I've had.) Mini golf, Bay Village and Fantasy Island amusement park are all within a 4-minute walk of Island Guest House. It's as central as it gets. Plus, the breakfast and afternoon cakes were well thought-out and delicious. The owner, Joanne, and her husband makes themselves available if you have questions or concerns, but stays out of your way. They're great hosts who just want you to have a comfortable time. I've already begun recommending Island Guest House to friends and coworkers and will be back again soon.

Room Tip: The Rose room was JUST big enough for me and my boyfriend, but it was reasonable considering the pri...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

As a rather last minute reservation, this B&B worked out for us. The location is perfect -- not too far from the beach or many of the major restaurants in Beach Haven. I appreciate the bikes, use of beach chairs, outdoor patio, afternoon treats, and beach badges. I also loved the outdoor shower (as weird as it might have been for the family having drinks and snacks right outside the shower door).

Unfortunately, as previously noted, the walls are paper thin. We heard the couple next door's private moments and I'm sure they heard ours. Their TV and conversations were also heard throughout the evening. Being that all the guests recognized each other, it was uncomfortable to try to make any remarks to the innkeepers about the noise level. Then again, we had slim pickings with which room we preferred so that may be why this was the first time we had an issue w/ noise at a B&B (previous times we had booked far in advance and booked rooms more private and separated from the others).

Joanne was friendly and kind to us. I also loved having the kitty around!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!