“Overnight stay with family dog” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beach Haven
Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Save Saved
You added Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
207 Third St., Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Beach Haven B&B and Inns
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
“Overnight stay with family dog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Island Guest House offered clean accommodations, great location, good food, delightful outdoor shower, and great opportunity to share our mini-vacation with the family dog. We also appreciated use of facilities after check out for a nominal fee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My boyfriend visited Beach Haven every summer as a kid; it was my first time. For us both, Island Guest House was a great place to stay. It's a stone's throw from the beach and just around the corner from The Chicken and The Egg, a popular diner that's open 24 hours (They're famous for their wings and their French fries were perhaps the best I've had.) Mini golf, Bay Village and Fantasy Island amusement park are all within a 4-minute walk of Island Guest House. It's as central as it gets. Plus, the breakfast and afternoon cakes were well thought-out and delicious. The owner, Joanne, and her husband makes themselves available if you have questions or concerns, but stays out of your way. They're great hosts who just want you to have a comfortable time. I've already begun recommending Island Guest House to friends and coworkers and will be back again soon.

Room Tip: The Rose room was JUST big enough for me and my boyfriend, but it was reasonable considering the pri...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

As a rather last minute reservation, this B&B worked out for us. The location is perfect -- not too far from the beach or many of the major restaurants in Beach Haven. I appreciate the bikes, use of beach chairs, outdoor patio, afternoon treats, and beach badges. I also loved the outdoor shower (as weird as it might have been for the family having drinks and snacks right outside the shower door).

Unfortunately, as previously noted, the walls are paper thin. We heard the couple next door's private moments and I'm sure they heard ours. Their TV and conversations were also heard throughout the evening. Being that all the guests recognized each other, it was uncomfortable to try to make any remarks to the innkeepers about the noise level. Then again, we had slim pickings with which room we preferred so that may be why this was the first time we had an issue w/ noise at a B&B (previous times we had booked far in advance and booked rooms more private and separated from the others).

Joanne was friendly and kind to us. I also loved having the kitty around!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Voorhees, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This B&B has a "if you don't ask, you won't get" policy. Their supposedly new hot water system is defunct; i had 2 days of cold showers. The owners never apologized. instead, only after we told them we let the water run 15 minutes and still no hot water occured (because they alluded it was our fault), they told us how much the system cost & said that maybe someone changed the setting by mistake.

On the second night, we had a sleepless night due to the hot room temp.

Between cold showers and no sleep we approached owners in the morning and they refused to refund us the 3rd night when we said we didn't want to stay. The owner pointed to a paper that was in our room and said that if we were uncomfortable, we had the responsibility to call them. Really?!? We certainly were not going to call at 2am and turn on the AC! Its summer, they should have set the AC on their own, not wait for a complaint.

Their reactive stance applied to room cleaning as well. Sheets and towels are only changed upon request. Our room's trash can wasn't even emptied.

Breakfast was below par when compared to other B&B's that pride themselves on making it a highlight. This B&B makes a casserole egg dish or a cobbler (represented by them as blueberry french toast) on alternating days. They place the pyrex on a table without heat under it as part of a meager buffet...that includes one cut up fruit option and bagels. Coffee comes from a convenience store style machine 24-7. They don't brew real coffee in the morning.

In a B&B, you expect comfortable sleeping, a hot shower and a decent breakfast. None were offered here. In better facilities, if AC and hot water aren't running, most would allow you to leave and refund you the unused night. This place refused and only after some words, they acquisced to refunding a small portion that didn't even cover the tax.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
islandguesthouse, Owner at Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We are really sorry that we were unable to engage you enough to give you a good experience at our Inn. We worked hard through the winter to get things in tip top shape for guests. Even though most of the B&B was not seriously damaged by Sandy, we did a lot of upgrading to systems including putting in a really good tankless hot water system so guests would never run out of hot water.

We also put new shower rain shower heads in your shower the same morning that you checked in. I didnt realize that these come with an energy efficient part in them that makes less water come out. With that part in there there is not enough flow of water to tell the hot water heater to turn on. Once you told me that you were not getting hot water and everyone else in the Inn was, we knew to take the part out, which was literally a 2 minute job. I know we see this point differently, but if you really would have told me that you needed service immediately, it would have been adjusted within 5 minutes and you could have continued on your very important time away with a continued positive impression.

Your comments about having to be responsible to let us know is something I am glad to talk about even though we disagree. It speaks of something most of us as Innkeepers worry about...how to make our guests comfortable enough to tell us their needs.

Having owned this B&B for 19 years, and being involved with a number of Innkeeper associations, we have gone to lots of inn-keeping conferences over the years. It seems that all innkeepers really do tend to have the same issues, concerns, and worries about how to give that "perfect" experience. One of the most frustrating things we seem to have in common is how to make our guests comfortable enough to let us know their needs. At a hotel, a guest would not think twice about calling the desk to request that the air be made cooler or warmer, or if a neighbor was noisy. But people at a B&B feel bad about bothering an innkeeper, especially in the evening, no matter how much we tell them it is ok. So if a guest needs something, we don't find out until later, and the guest is already upset. For example, we keep our air conditioning at 71 which seems to be the most comfortable for all of our guests as a whole, but there are people who run warm, and others who feel a chill more easily. I cannot know if their preference is different than my set temperature unless they let me know. I will most willingly and immediately try to accommodate them. We make no bones about telling them that we would rather be "bothered" and have happy guests! (it is the very first line in capitals on our "welcome" paper...And we have them sign a form promising to let us know if they need service). It is frustrating problem to gently try to override a guests reluctance to ask for a simple thing that will keep their hard-worked-for stay perfect, and once they feel uncomfortable it almost always leads to to a snowball effect wherein the guest has a decreasingly enjoyable time, and starts seeing each item in a day from a negative instead of a positive perspective.

I do just have to touch on some other comments, which I hope are a result of this snowball effect. We really do try each day to do the best we can. I had given you a nice discount when you made your reservation, so it was already discounted to the point that, except for what I refunded in addition at the end, the third night was free. The small discount that was referred to as "tax" is the amount that did reduce his third night to free. You also commented on our room service. You were in our pet friendly room with the outside entrance. We do not tidy rooms unless the owners take their dogs out so we can come in. It is just safer for our staff because pets can get nervous in a strange place. Our housekeeper kept checking back for you to go out, and when you did you only gave her a 10 minute time slot, because she came to me worried that she would not be done with her other room. By the time she was finished she had to rush to get your room done. We give fresh towels every day, but have a note just like "the big hotels" that to conserve, we replace towels you place on the floor but you will use those left hanging for another day. I like doing that, but am sorry you were inconvenienced. I know the chamber maid felt a little rushed and nervous and very well could have forgotten to take the trash. We apologize for that.

I also really love our breakfasts! We have a big positive response, so I have always felt that we were doing a good job. We are friendly with lots of other innkeepers from all over who have lovely Inns, and we love to swap recipes. I hope that if you were not already unhappy you would have loved it too. Generally the norm in a good B&B is a breakfast which includes fresh fruits or parfaits, a starter course or starter station of breakfast cakes, maybe even bagels and breads and hard cooked eggs and cereals, and a main course which includes stuffed french toast with berries, bubbly egg casseroles with meat and a vegetarian option, pancakes or waffles, sausage, ham or other sides, maybe a frattata, eggs Benedict or cheese blintzes. I like to garnish things with mint, and light candles all around. But any negative comment deserves attention, and I will look around with different eyes to see ways to make our breakfasts even better, and also to keep vigilant to all guests needs.
Liberty, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We just got back from Beach Haven and a wonderful stay at the Island Guest House..didn’t want to leave..we felt right at home..met Joanne ,the owner, so warm and friendly! We arrived without reservations, taking a chance on a spur of the moment trip, they were very accommodating..She and the young couple who are inn keeping for her, Lindsey and Frank, were ready to meet our every need…
It’s a historic building, has that old charm.(brought back memories of staying at my grandparents' place near the beach) We stayed in the Sunflower Room which has the added perks of its own bathroom and a balcony. Also we appreciated the TV and wifi. It was just a block from the beach. They do provide bikes, but we had brought our own..there was a bike rack to lock them up. There is a nice patio ,with tables and umbrellas to sit outside…we did a few times..once with the lovely afternoon snack they provide: a home baked good and ice tea. (starting next week, people using the beach will need “beach badges”, don’t worry the Island Guest House will provide them)
There is coffee 24-7, so we could get a cup early as we like to..breakfasts were quite good, lovely ,bright dining room!
When we arrived home, I realized, I had left my beach bag and another bag there..in a panic, I called ..got Joanne who immediately calmed me down..no problem..she’ll send them to me!
It is like others have said: you feel right away like you have found friends. I look forward to going back!
Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I cant tell you how much a "pat on the back" means to us as the service givers! It just makes me realize how rewarding it is to have helped to make a positive experience for another person. Very much appreciated. -joanne
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

First off, I want to start off by saying this was my first time staying in a B&B. I am so glad I decided to stay at the Island Guest House. My boyfriend and I had an awesome time! The owners were super friendly, and treated us like we were friends forever, even after just meeting them! We felt very welcomed, and didn't feel at all out of place. We stayed in the room called Christina's Room. It had purple walls, a double bed, TV, drawer space, huge double shower, and a great view from the windows. The house is just awesome in itself, and set up really neat. Kinda of a victorian feel, but still keeping the beachy vibe. It's in the perfect location... just down the road from the beach, Bay's Village, Fantasy Island, and lots of great places to eat like Chicken or the Egg. Outside of the Island Guest House is a patio with lots of seating areas and tables. We enjoyed sitting out there in the evening because it was all lit up and everyone seemed to mingle with each other. We also had access to the cruiser bikes (which we took full advantage of!) and beach chairs. The breakfasts were great, and homemade. Woke up each morning with the smell of coffee, bacon, or cinnamon! How lovely! Made me get up a whole lot quicker. Around 1pm they'd also put out a tray of fresh baked cookies or brownies, with lemonade. Very nice touch! I honestly could on and on about how awesome and welcoming this place is. Cannot wait until our next stay there!

Room Tip: we stayed in Christina's Room, and loved it! Perfect room for a couple.. and at a good cost!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, your review really made Mark and I proud! I am so glad you found us to be a positive part of your experience here on LBI. We do hope you return often as a part of our B&B family. Thank ypu, Joanne
Lebanon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

we can't say enough great things about this place! we had a small wedding here in May and after 6 months of patient and endless help from the owners we had a beautiful intimate wedding party in their garden patio area. the sound system was totally perfect for the occasion, their house caterers provided delicious food. the owners' willingness to accomodate made the planning so easy and fun. i stayed in the sunflower room before the wedding and it had a glorious bathroom with a cute balcony. the breakfast was fantastic (be sure to try the creme cake- a family recipe that is heavenly!) and the innkeepers were so sweet and eager to please. the assistant they provided us for our wedding was absolutely irreplaceable. the owners have struck a perfect balance of being professional while still making you feel right at home. they are unobtrusive and offer as much privacy as you want, but i promise you will want to stop and chat with them as much as possible. they are truly great people with a gift of hospitality. thank you joanne and mark and victoria- we can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: i stayed in the sunflower room- very bright and comfortable- great bathroom and a cute little balcon...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind words! It was an absolute pleasure working with you, and you are a wonderful couple. I am glad that we were able to help to make wonderful memories on such an important day! - Joanne

Been to Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!