“adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
Abington, PA
“adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

This place has lots of rules, but that also keeps it clean and quiet. It's not exciting and you'll need a bike or car to get into the center of Beach Haven, but it's okay. Short walk to beach. Pool is warm. Lots of families with kids.

All rooms are non-smoking, which is great, but there are plenty of smokers who sit in front of the rooms and puff away, making opening your door or walking out of your room or down the outer corridors unpleasant.

• Liked — close to beach
  • Disliked — smokers right outside our door
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hockessin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

Paid with check ahead of time and was unable to make the trip due to death of Aunt and desired refund 5 days ahead of stay.
Did not repay and I am suing to collect 842.00 as we were never told of 30 day no refund and reservation was with in 30 days but no mention on phone to us. "Caveat Emptor" said Harry Befumo the mgr of Sea Spray.

Stayed July 2007
New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

The motel was very clean. The little spaces where dirt collects were spotless. We were happy about that since our 18 month old likes to eat and lick everything. The grounds are equally as pristine.

The location is great as we could hang by the ocean, swim in the pool, bbq, and then catch a great sunset over the bay. Being across the street from the beach made going back to the room very easy. The bbq is a nice touch and you should plan to use it.

While very clean, this is still a motel, so things like the noisy air conditioners and an average bed should be expected. There are tough rules like being in the room by 10, but the adherence to the rules is what keeps this place a quiet family spot. Never the less, I still felt a little monitored during my time there.

I would not recommend the motel to people who want to party. This seems like a place to enjoy LBI and come back to your room to sleep. This would not have been the place for me two years ago, but now that I have a kid, it is ideal. Older travelers who appreciate quiet will also appreciate this motel.

• Liked — Clean motel
  • Disliked — rules
ny,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

I just got back yesterday from 5 days at the Sea Spray. We had a group of 4 families, 6 kids total, some of whom had been there the previous year (we had not).

On the positive side - the place is very clean. The BBQs outside and the picnic tables were spotless and we used them several times over our stay. With so many kids on different schedules, it was much easier to do that than to go out for our meals. We even ordered pizza and ate there one night instead of BBQing. The cleaning staff was very nice and accommodating - they showed up to our room when our baby was sleeping and at our request came back later after he woke up. Another positive is the location - right across from the beach, love the pool, like that wasn't right in town but just a short car ride away.

On the negative side - as many people have already noted, the manager is just not nice. It really is an oxymoron to have someone so inhospitable in the hospitality industry. It's hard to argue with the rules because at the end of the day, the place is spotless and family friendly. But, there is probably a nicer way to speak and interact with the guests. Also, I wonder if there is any room for flexibility. They were pretty strict about no late checkout, for example. I asked if I could come in the morning and if my room had not been rented out for that night, could I maybe stay an extra hour since check-out time was right in the middle of my son's nap time and was told "absolutely not." That wasn't Harry, but clearly from someone he had trained.

Aside from that, so other negatives, are the room sizes. Most of the one bedroom efficiencies are this tiny room - very different from what was shown online. My friends with a regular 2 bed hotel room had much more space and only gave up a stove - they still had a microwave and a fridge. I wish we had rented that. Instead we moved to a 2-bedroom apartment across the street, also owned by the hotel. Space-wise, it was fantastic. We did have to pay 2x as much, but as this is the only vacation we had planned for the summer, we decided to go for it. Maybe its just because they just took over that apartment, but there was no telephoen in the apartment so our friends could only reach us by our cellphones, not through hotel phone. Also, we didn't have cable and the regular broacast TV only had ABC, CBS and CW. Finally, a different group had rented out the apartment on top of ours and they were extremeley noisy - running around at night and you could hear every footstep at night. We never complained about it, because at the end of the day, how are you going to stop those kdis from running around if they are not allowed out after 10pm, but it was annoying.

Overall, I think our group plans to come back and I'd recommend the Sea Spray for families, but just be prepared for some snarliness on the part of the staff there. It is what you get in exchange for a clean, quiet, well-located place to stay.

• Liked — naer beach & had pool
  • Disliked — the manager & staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Woodbridge, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

I have spent many summers on Long Beach Island and have never come across a more discourteous hotel/motel staff. Hospitality is not a word in their vocabulary apparently. I made a reservation for one night and came across a problem immediately. They were reluctant to even allow me to rent the room for only one night. When I finally was told that I would be able to get a room, there was an extra charge for the single night rental. (Mind you it isn't even season yet; I would think that one night is better than that room staying empty.) When I had to cancel the room because of a family emergency, I told them I was aware that there would probably be a cancellation fee. I had to call them several times to even get a straight answer form the receptionist as to if a refund would be obtainable. Surprisingly, they refused to accept my cancellation and charged my card, without my signature, with the full amount of the room. The staff was both extremely rude and argumentative. I was told that I would receive a call from the manager as I requested, but never heard from him. I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel and having to deal with the rudeness I encountered.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — The service.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
wilkes barre
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2006

The Sea Spray saved us from a very dirty, horrible hotel at the end of the island. The Sea Spray is the cleanest place I have ever stayed. I prefer the "rules" that others have complained about. My husband and I enjoyed the fact that we could get a good nights sleep without loud chatter or people partying all night. I liked that the owner runs a tight ship. I feel cleaner, safer and can have a more relaxing vacation. This place is perfect for us and we will return again. In fact, we recommened it for another couple with their young daugher and they had a great time and loved it.

• Liked — VERY CLEAN and Quiet
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Tips/Secrets — book early
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
honieexoxo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed for a long weekend in August (18-21). I was a little hesitant to book at the Sea Spray based on past Trip Advisor reviews, but decided to give it a chance. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at Sea Spray. We could tell it was recently renovated and the property was clean and well maintained. We did not have any problems with the "Rules" - if anything we appreciated the quiet outside our room since there were'nt people hanging around after 10pm being disruptive. We felt we had adequate privacy - we did not notice motel staff keeping an eye on us or anything. The beach was accross the street and super easy to access. The pool was great to swim in and grilling at the picnic area was fun (also saved us a bit of money on food). The staff was pleasant and the housekeeping girls were very nice and respectful. We were extremely happy with our stay at Sea Spray and intend to stay there for all future trips to LBI.

• Liked — Clean & well maintained condition of overall property and rooms.
  • Disliked — Picnic tables could use some shade - like umbrellas... No biggie, but was a bit hot to eat lunch at when sun was out in full force.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early =)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sea Spray Motel? Share your experiences!