Two things brought me to the Windward for a one-night stay on July 1: 1) My daughter's friend was performing at the Surflight Theater as "Annie", and 2) A livingsocial coupon that made the cost reasonable.
Upon our arrival around 12:30 PM our room was not yet ready (understandable since check-in is at 3 PM). They kindly offered us beach badges but we were getting ready to see the 2 PM matinee so we were at least able to get our things out of the car & inside. The location was perfect - just a half-block from the beach, diagonally across a grassy park from the theater, and just two short blocks to the main street where all of the shops & restaurants were. And FREE parking - didn't know that still existed in a beach town.
We stayed in room #4, which has a comfy queen-sized bed and an extra chair of about twin-bed-sized width which unfolds into a slightly-sloped sleeping space - probably only good for a smaller person. The room had a set of 6 small drawers, a separate A/C unit with a remote control and a decent-sized mini fridge with room to store several ice trays and a couple of freezer packs. There was also a decent microwave in the room (on top of fridge), but there was only one outlet in the immediate area that was used by the fridge, so I unplugged the fridge temporarily to use the microwave. There were other outlets, but I wasn't sure if I should use them for the microwave. The bathroom was small but certainly clean and nicely appointed & more than met our needs. The "closet" was in a space shared by the fridge & mircrowave - not a lot of space for hanging clothes, but you probably won't have many hanging clothes anyway...
Overall the room was cozy & comfortable - they even provided a souvenir beach bag with a tall bottle of smart water & sunscreen. No phone in the room, but these days, who needs one?
The property was very quaint & cozy - I could see spending several days there. Everyone from the owners to the cleaning staff were very friendly and accommodating . After coming back from the beach (after check out the next day), we were able to use one of their private outdoor showers, with towels provided & enough room to leave your clothes & get changed.
As for dining, we ate at Fred's (typical diner, nothing special), the Sea Shell hotel (typical hotel beach bar food) and Carmen's (great food, very uncrowded at lunch time). For dessert we ate Show Place (Big servings, but delicious), adjacent to the Surflight Theater. The employes in Show Place made you sing and dance by the kind of the ice cream you order.
Lastly, loved the beach - the surf is mild & my 9-year old could actually be in the water by herself!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 200 steps to white sand of LBI, Windward at the Beach in Beach Haven, NJ, exudes a beach/surf vibe. Relax, unwind, rejuvenate - it's the Pure Jersey Shore! Many lodging options, including studios, efficiencies and two room suites with full kitchens - children welcome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Windward at the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windward At The Beach Hotel Beach Haven
- Windward At The Beach Long Beach Island, NJ - Beach Haven