“Comfortable and reasonably priced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hurley's At Holgate Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hurley's At Holgate Inn
You added Hurley's At Holgate Inn to your Saves list
4804 South Long Beach Blvd., Beach Haven Inlet, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
“Comfortable and reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We decided to visit LBI as a side trip to Easton, PA (a long story.) Hurley's was found online and a reservation made easily. My wife had visited the Holgate area many times since her childhood, and she wanted to go back after not being there for almost 15 years. We were there near the one year anniversary of hurricane Sandy. Hurley's has recovered pretty much physically from the 1st floor level being destroyed - pushed up into the 2nd floor as described by the owner. Our room was fresh and comfortable. Only problem was the Internet service, which was being worked on during our visit. The off-season rate was quite reasonable, and the location is great to see the end of the island community.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Back in August, my husband and I decided to take a vacation to LBI we both grew up in Toms River and had always enjoyed going to LBI even when we moved away to Stroudsburg, PA. We have stayed at many places around the island, from ship bottom to Holgate. On our vacation last year, we stayed at the Jolly Roger because we both loved the quite picturesque area and decided we wanted to revisit Holgate but didn't want to spend as much money. On our internet search, we came across the Hurley motel and we were attracted to its homey quality and that it was a family run business. The rooms are rather old and out of date, the refrigerator took a lot of tampering to figure out for the on did not mean on, you simply have to turn it until it bursts loudly to life. Although it says no smoking, it smelled a little musty under the scent of heavy febreeze. The showers were yellowed and the water pressure was low. The view was what really made the hotel so endearing though, that made everything else inconsequential because all I was looking for on this trip was to be close to the beach. However, what I could not ignore was the family that ran the motel. From booking to check in, we noticed how disorganized and confused the owner was. He was very funny, sincere, and endearing so it wasn't he who we had a problem with. One of the three days we stayed, my husband and I returned to our room from the beach and all of the sudden there was screaming and arguing on our floor. My husband went outside to see what was happening, and the owners wife was arguing with her daughter who also works at their motel. Even in my room, I heard an abundance of curse words and hurtful comments coming from both mother and daughter. My husband and I were so taken back by the argument we returned to our room and stayed there until the screaming stopped. I didn't want to say anything to the owners in fear of being laughed at for overreacting, as the owners have their years. It was very unprofessional and it was the deciding factor of our decision to pay the extra money for Jolly Rogers.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Maire7, Owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
First, I must apologize to you to have to witness this diva like argument which was definitely unprofessional. However, I would like to clear up the fact that it was not between the owner's wife (me) and my daughter, but between my daughter, who requires tip-top cleaning and servicing of the rooms and my 14 year old "drama queen" grand daughter. I am sure that most females can relate to something like that in their lifetimes. Nevertheless, it should not have happened, and it was unprofessional to say the least. My husband brought her back to me within 10 minutes, and the matter was dealt with in the privacy of our home where it should have been handled in the first place. The only thing I am guilty about regarding that fight is that I should have asked if anyone was upstairs, and if they knew that, then an apology would have been extended to the guest personally and immediately. I had no idea that you and your husband were hiding out in your room for fear!!! It is a little late, but I offer you my apology right now for this debacle and if you would like to contact me on my email (you can get that on our web site - Hurleysinn.com),and provide me with your email or whatever, I will have my grand daughter contact you directly in writing. We all do things in life we regret and do not want to be reminded of; however, since this incident was brought to the public table, it is something she will be reminded of for an awful long time. I would be surprised to know that our paths even crossed during your stay as I am usually with the younger children and taking reservations. There is mentioned a problem with booking and that would be me, however, the problem was never clarified as to what it was?
This is first complaint we have received regarding water pressure in 18 years, and as far as the 'college size' fridge, they were checked again this week after we saw this review. It is a small knob, that goes from off to high, you just turn it. If anyone has a problem, the 6 year old, who loves to help people, could have gotten it on. It also makes no 'bursting' sound when it is turned on and if it did, then I assume the noise would last the whole time it was on and I surely would have been receiving complaints about that, and again this is a first for a refrigerator. The showers were also not yellow; however, we did realize back in the Spring that these rooms now needed some updating. This inn was devastated by Sandy and we had to gut and replace our entire first floor, while the second floor was not touched. We, however, replaced "all" of the furniture in "all" of the rooms, mattresses included, and added new TV's, but with time being of the essence further redecorating would have to be postponed until after the season. The top floor was closed early this year, and the bathrooms were updated, rooms painted and redecorated, new entrance doors on all of the rooms and a new second floor deck as well as all new electrical outlets. The rooms look great, although you will not see them, thankfully, since you are returning to the Jolly Roger. Now don't get me wrong as the Jolly Roger is an excellent motel and I know that Judy and Mary Ann will treat you wonderfully. The most important thing is that you return to Holgate and support the community which has been to hell and back in the past year. However, in your spare time do review the new rooms on our web site around April 2014...they are fantastic if I say so myself.
As I stated this inn took a fantastic hit from Sandy, and when we first saw it on November 9th, we wondered would it be back. After engineering studies, we got the go ahead and by the middle of November we had our contractors in place --the first being the sandman who removed 2.4 million pounds of sand from the property. My husband promised all of us, it would be up and running by Memorial Day and better than ever. It was. If it was not for his fortitude and courage to get the show on the road we probably would not have been one of the first places back in Holgate. The contractors (many) and their workers (most of whom were probably half his age) who worked with us, couldn't get over his stamina and strength, and more so his determination. I cannot believe someone would refer to him as confused and disorganized and both of us as with our "years". I never even met you. It was stated that this was not a problem, then why bring it up? Believe me after what we went through from our visit with Sandy nothing could have been brought to our attention that would have rattled us. We would have done our best to solve it.
Yes, every summer is a reunion here as our children and grandchildren come back to Holgate and I wouldn't have it any other way. There was a problem with a teenager (14) who is still feeling out her and our limitations. Working with one's mother is not easy, when the Mom is the boss and probably not the best arrangement and so, after reviewing this, she will not be working at our motel this season but already has offers for other jobs. She really is a great kid, just had a diva - drama queen day and haven't we all.
Croton on Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Over Labor Day Weekend my husband and I went down to LBI for a little R and R. We had the pleasure of staying at the Hurley's Inn. We have stayed there before and just love this family run inn. The Hurley's have worked very hard to restore their quaint little inn after Hurricane Sandy hit the island and all their hard word is certainly evident. It is so nice being able to spend a few days at the beach at an almost brand new place. Mike and Marianne did a fabulous job and if you are in the area stop by their place. I can't say enough nice things about this family inn, who treat their guests like family! Love you guys!

Room Tip: Make a reservation, it's a small inn not alot of rooms, that's what's great about it.
Mohegan Lake, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have vacationed on LBI for over 20 years and always rent a house. After marrying our daughter this summer, the house rental was just a dream but we really needed our LBI fix.
We found Hurley's and booked a long weekend in early September. What a treat! It was like being on vacation from our vacation! Marianne was great to deal with. Michael made us feel very much at home.
In the morning, we sat on our deck, listening to the waves while having breakfast. Then, we would take a quick skip across the street and be on the beach. When you're here, don't miss out on the sunrise in the morning and sunset in the evenings. What a treat!
Our room was clean and tidy and suited us perfectly.
Thank you for making our get away SO very special.
We highly recommend Hurley's for your next getaway!

Morris Plains
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I entered a triathlon in the area and only needed reservations for one weekend night. Hurley's to the rescue! Just across from the beach and away from downdown, this place is a gem. Other establishments are still rebuilding from super storm Sandy but Hurley's was completely operational and clean. The first floor was entirely rebuilt.

The staff were fantastic. I injured myself in the triathlon. Staff noticed and within 5 minutes of me returning to the motel someone was at my door with an icebag for my leg and ibuprofen. What a caring crew! Thanks so much!!

• Stayed September 2013
Warrington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hurley's is the best kept secret on the island. My husband and I stayed for two nights as a get away in September and enjoyed every minute of our stay. It is always clean and quiet. Mike and Marianne are very friendly and most accommodating. We would definitely recommend staying at Hurley's to any of our friends! Sonny and Susan

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our experience at Hurley's was marvelous. We stayed in room one, which was recently renovated and it was beautiful: hardwood floors, huge bed, VERY clean shower. The owners are both super sweet and accommodating.

We rented bikes and biked into town which is about 15 minutes, perfect distance for a bike ride. We didn't have to wear shoes because we were that close to the beach. Overall, great location.

I would HIGHLY recommend staying here - we will definitely be staying here again, thanks Mike!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hurley's At Holgate Inn? Share your experiences!