“a wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hurley's At Holgate Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hurley's At Holgate Inn
4804 South Long Beach Blvd., Beach Haven Inlet, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Beach Haven
Warrington, Pennsylvania
“a wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I love to stay at Hurley's. The location is fantastic only steps from the beach. We enjoy riding our bikes around the end of the island. We cannot say enough good things about Mike and Marianne they are both very accomendating and friendly people. We make sure we visit this lovely and quiet motel whenever we can! Sonny and Susan V.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Croton on Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

"The Hurley's are lovely people and their motel is sweet, comfy and cozy, I love that when we have stayed at the motel Mike and Marianne treat you like family. My husband and I have been going to LBI for many years,we love Holgate and love the Hurley's. It's nice to see a family run business and we would much rather give our business to a nice family rather than to investors in a big hotel that don't even know you or care about you. It's nice being away from the hustle and noise of Beach Haven too! The rooms are roomy and always sparkling clean. It's so close to the beach, just across the street and right up the path. Hurley's is very pleasant, quiet and peaceful! For sure we will be staying with the Hurley's again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our family just returned from our yearly weekend retreat at Hurley's. The owners, Mike and Marianne, are wonderful and couldn't make us feel more at home. The room accommodation's are clean and cozy with TV, fridge, and WIFI access. With a balcony set with picnic tables, chairs, and umbrella's for each room surrounded by beautiful plants and flowers and you feel right at home!! The location of Hurley's is perfect for our family. The beach is located right across the street and the park is just down the other end of the street on the bay. We found everything we needed just a short drive away including shopping, miniature golf, water park, arcade, rides, etc..We couldn't ask for a better place to stay! Can,t wait 'til next year!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Booked Hurley's on short notice for 2 night stay for a quick mid-week getaway. There are positives and negatives. Located in great part of the island, just past Beach Haven, quiet and quaint. Place is right across from path to beach. Parking is plentiful. Beach is awesome.

Most motels on LBI are horribly musty and our room had no such issue. Room is very simple with bare essentials. Small fridge and small TV worked fine. Upon closer inspection we had hair on the bed and the toilet was dirty. The toilet seat was old, beat up, stained and weathered and makes me wonder why they do not spend 20 bucks for new one. Shower barely has enough water pressure but we managed. Design and decor is not a priority here.

The queen bed was fine and comfortable as was the pillows. The biggest problem was the loud, old air conditioner just about 4 feet across from the head of the bed. Whoever sleeps on that side will both catch a draft and get a ringing in their air. It made sleeping difficult.

For the money, about a buck and a half a night, it was cheap enough compared to island rates, and OK for a nighter. We went home late the second day to for a quiet and comfortable sleep.

We ate dinner at Engleside Inn restaurant and it was fabulous and more elegant than most places. Too far to bike into town, but just a few minutes to drive. So in a pinch or on a tight budget you could do much worse than this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Maire7, Owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
You contacted me about 5 minutes after you checked in complaining about the toilet cover, and I went upstairs to check it out and reclean if if necessary. The stain on the cover is from a previous guest who spilt nail polish remover on the cover, and which we can not remove with all the cleaning equipment you could muster. Yes, it will be replaced. I wrote you a note and left it in your room explaining that, but apparently, you don't read messages. You never once complained about hair and had you, your bed would have been redone immediately.I did notice that on my first trip to your room regarding the cover, you had the covers completely pulled back on one side of the bed but never stated a problem with it. I am glad you commented on the mattress which is approximately 7 weeks old, and should have also noticed that they are all covered in bed bug proof covers. The only thing you did was call 2 and 3x's a day requesting additonal towels, which you were provided with. The only thing the cleaning staff found strange is that the new towels were alwlays piled up unused on the dresser or chair!! As for the air conditioner, there are fins on it which can be moved upward, downward and to the sides - if you didn't know how to do that, you could have asked me in one of my towel delivery trips to your room.Although ac's can go bad quickly, this one is only in its second season . You also never once mentioned about the shower head, just needing more towels in a shower that you claim was inadequate......and when I saw you and asked if everything was okay you never responded with additional problems and had you, they would have been handled as quickly and professionally as we try to do. In fact, I gave you the info on checking out the evening before your departure, and you never said a thing. Why go home and vent your problems when they could have been addressed right there and then. Also, thank you for mentioning that the room did NOT have a MUSTY smell.
Mahwah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I cannot understand how there are so many positive reviews of this motel. The first room we checked into smelled musty and the shower didn't work so they moved us to another room. The second room was even worse as far as the musty smell was concerned. It was so bad my son had trouble breathing when in the room. The shower curtain rings were all rusted. The faucet in the bathroom sink was corroded and the refrigerator in the room smelled. The overall musty smell in the room was so bad we couldn't stay there. When I complained to the owner and asked for my money back, the son of the owner rudely said "just get them out of here". I do appreciate them giving us our money back under the circumstances and we were able to find better accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Maire7, Owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
I am going to try and be as civil as possible here because this couldn't be further from the truth. The gentleman checked in and paged us that his shower head was not providing a reasonable flow. I agreed and offered to exchange it but he said he was in a hurry so I gave him another room.His family checked in and then left for about an hour and then came back. He again paged us and complained the room smelled and his son had a hard time breathing. He asked for a refund which my husband gladly gave him. Under normal circumstances I would have told him that I would only return his money if I could rent the room. I knew I could rent it in about five minutes with the amount of demand we have had this summer so I just did not want to deal with this man because I could sense he was going to be a problem. One family that witnessed the scene said they wanted to rent the "smelly" room instead because it had a little more natural sun protection than their room. The mother walked in said she couldn't smell anything. I told her they would have to wait a few minutes because my departing guests had the audacity to take showers in the room before they complained. Well my new guests had no problems whatsoever and promised to return. As far as the rust on the faucet, I am sorry but this can't happen because the faucets are chrome plated. Rust on the shower curtain rings is also untrue because they are plastic. The refigerators are cleaned with bleach before new guests arrive so that is also not true. The musty smell, I don't think so. Perhaps he smelled the moisture of the free showers he got. My rooms are cleaned thoroughly daily and I stand by them.
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My mother and I were looking for a nice place to stay for a weekend with my little brother along. I found Hurley's through Tripadvisor and I'm glad I did! Just a couple steps away from the beach and located just a short drive from the hustle and bustle Hurley's was a nice place for a quick getaway. It's charming, very clean, and the staff and owners were helpful and friendly. There was ac, fridge, and a tv inside a beach themed room. It's not a brand spanking new place, and the decor is a little dated, but it was lovely all the same. The bathroom could have used a little work but it was fully functional and clean. Outside was a pretty painted patio with chairs, table, and umbrella. Bonuses: It was pretty quiet away there and you can hear the ocean at night with the windows open. It also wasn't outrageously priced. All in all, I hope to go back someday!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

All round a lovely place to stay with friendly staff and just a stones throw from the beach. Room was comfortable and well equipped, although would have loved a coffee machine. Overall a highly recommended place for that quiet getaway either for the weekend or a longer stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hurley's At Holgate Inn? Share your experiences!