“LBI in November” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Spray Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Spray Beach Inn
You added Spray Beach Inn to your Saves list
24th St & Ocean Front, Spray Beach, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
Woodland Park, New Jersey
“LBI in November”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Typical shore type motel-nothing fancy, but served the purpose. Was clean and quiet. A bit far away from the town of Beach Haven-so not so easy to walk to things. I'm sure it would be different in the summer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Freeport, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I can't believe this place has any good ratings. I read about their "Bait and switch", promising a room on the back side of their hotel and then placing you across the street in their annex. It is 1AM as I write this, I've been trying to get my family to sleep since 11, we have called the office 3 times, they came over one timem the walls a paper thin, not only do we hear the conversations as if we were at a keg party in a college frat house, we hear every toilet flush, every footstep and every noise from every room around us. We even heard the knock of the manager after the first call to the desk, they obviously ignored the subsequent calls.

Pros: None

Cons: Baiti and switch room booking, they don't tell you about the building across the road
paper thin walls - I can hear the toilets flush in the rooms next to us, below us and on each side of the rooms below us
Management ignores these problems,

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
flippo147, Manager at Spray Beach Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Guest referred to "bait and switch, promising a room on the back side of their hotel and then placing you across the street in their annex". Guest booked on-line, where the room description reads: "Standard rooms on the 1st or 2nd floor in the Atlantic Avenue Building which is steps away from the main building and beach." The night manager went over after the first call, and asked the offending party to close the windows and quiet down. After the second call he went back over, stood by the window and listened to them talk. Because they were only talking at normal volume levels, no further action was required.
Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night over the Columbus Day weekend. We had a third floor room, not far from the elevator. The room was very clean and updated. The front desk was extremely helpful and customer- friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant (only customers) and it was fine. The bar tender was friendly and talkative. The waitress was attentive. Free continental breakfast was in the restaurant and although limited, was fine. Someone checked on us from the front desk to be sure we were taken care of. Although the place was pretty empty, I would recommend it and if we need to return to the area in the future, I would certainly stay there. The cost was very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Clinton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Enjoyed everything, start to finish...from arrival, the front desk was most helpful , then dinner At the Spray Beach, both Friday and Saturday nights , was excellent. The view from the comfortable bar and dining room, was awesome. Dining in the oceanfront patio was spectacular. We all had asked our waiter to send compliments to the kitchen..our meals were great. Breakfast on the patio could not be beat! The staff is outgoing, friendly and very professional. We had been here during the summer, and some even remembered us. the ambience and friendliness is hard to beat. We shall return!

Room Tip: 3rd floor oceanfront is the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My adult daughters and I stayed in early September. We were on the third floor right next to the elevator and I was worried it would be noisy, but I only heard the elevator once. The room had no outside area but we were happy with that because it felt very private. Gorgeous view from our window right out onto the ocean. The bathroom has been recently redone and the rugs and bedspread were new as well. We ate breakfast in the restaurant twice and the food was very good. We had great drinks at the outside bar looking onto the beach. Yes, the beach is a cliff so getting down and up was a bit of a pain, but even with my arthritis I was able to do it. The pool is shallow but we didn't mind . It was Rosh Hashanah so I worried the restaurant and pool would be crowded but even though the hotel was full it never felt crowded. I am very very picky and not easy to please but we had a great time and want to go back next month !

Room Tip: Poolside deluxe with queen beds and great ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Albany, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had a great ocean front room but they are asking way too much for this place. The place sorely needs to be redone. I agree with the smell of mildew in the carpets and just the general decay of the building. Even the outside bar was closed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I tend to always start off with the positive and always try to make lemonade when I'm given lemons, so I will try my best here as well. The best thing about this "Inn" is its proximity to the beach. That's it. For the rates it's charging, it should be 100% better. ANd they can play the Sandy Card as much as they want, many other hotels were hit but are not in such need of upkeep and repair as this place (as if Sandy had anything to do with the old phones, old tv, must smell and dirty carpets....). For starters, lets talk about our "Deluxe" - that means we paid a premium-- room on Atlantic Street... I guess it's all relative to what they deem deluxe. The smell of dirt and mildew in the room was enough to knock me off my feet, the offensive odor coming from corners of the carpet, and the smell of urine coming from the bathroom are clear signs that this place is not a clean place. The dark rooms and carpets (probably to hide the dirt and mildew) just add to the shabbiness of the "Inn". The beds weren't even correctly made... the sheets weren't folded down -- I literally had to dig under the blankets to find the missing top sheet. The bottom sheet was placed inside out, and the bed spreads were a bad '70's dark floral print -- again, to hide the stains and dirt. The pillow I was given to sleep on felt about as comfortable as a brick... I think a brick would have worked better. Gross! Gross! Gross! We came for a quick weekend with our kids, and lucky for them, they manage to have fun anywhere don't notice details, and enjoy really greasy unhealthy food. Now, let's talk about the pool...Half of the pools is about 18" deep a few feet are 4 ft deep and then the rest is shallow again. It is nicely heated and I actually saw a maintenance person putting chemicals in, and the jacuzzi was warm (three other positives). Why the pool is configured this way... you tell me. In my opinion it's cheaper to fill and heat a shallow pool than to fill and heat a normal size pool. The music they play at the pool is '60s and '70s which can get old very fast... I don't know... it's almost like the owners, managers and staff don't really care what guests like or are feeling, or that as a society we've moved into a different millennium. They are pragmatic, and staid...it's as if they were void of any sense of humor. If you're in the hospitality business, then be hospitable and certainly clean up your Inn. My husband and I did a quick recon of neighboring hotels and granted nothing is perfect, but at least they didn't smell of mildew and dirt and offered more than a few better options than the Spray Beach Inn did. Next year we will be going elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Spray Beach Inn? Share your experiences!