“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club
You added Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club to your Saves list
10 S. Atlantic Ave., Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The location is great. The pool is nice to go to for the day as a change of pace from the beach. But this place is not in any way, shape or form a family friendly place. It is a motel with a tiki bar attached. I stayed here almost 15 years ago with girlfriends when I was single and it has great nightlife. Would never stay here with my kids. One would hope that they do not bill themselves as a family resort because if that's what they are doing it is no wonder why so many families leave unhappy!

Stayed July 2013
TJH1957, Owner at Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you fr your recent review. However we are a bit confused, the reviewer states that she stayed here in July 2013. It is now June 2014. Why would anyone wait so log to submit a review, it seems a bit odd. We are in fact very family friendly. The majority of our summer visitors are families. We get glowing reviews everyday from our families and guests. In reading this review, there is little for us to address as the reviewer has not offered any clear reasons for her "average" review, except for the fact that we have a Tiki bar. Yes we do, we also have a great salt water pool, beautiful private beach, two great restaurants, a martini lounge and wine bar and new for 2014, a sushi bar, also a completely renovated hotel, in fact everything is new since Hurricane Sandy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I spent the night at the Sea Shell Resort for a friend of ours wedding this past Saturday. Check in is 3pm, but I had called the night before and they told me they would try to get me in early, if at all possible, however, we were more than welcome to use the facilities!!

Rooms were very nice, view was great. We decided after being told by the hotel and the bride that we would stay in a regular room (not oceanfront) to avoid the noise coming from the restaurant that turns into a club until 3am.... They were nice and clean, roomy. There was only two of us, but had a room with 2 queen beds that would've comfortably slept four people.

The staff upon arrival were very friendly. Bonnie the woman at the front desk (which is also the person that I spoke to the night before about early check in) greeted us and explained that the room wasn't ready, however, to come back in an hour. With such a beautiful beach day, we stayed on the beach for 2 hours and then went up and our room was ready.

The wedding arrangements were awesome! The Bride and Groom was very satisfied as well as all the guests that I spoke to about the location of the wedding, the cocktail hour and the buffet dinner were all excellent. I will tell you, I have been to three destination weddings and the only thing I didn't like is that the ppl from the resort were literally steps away from the ceremony... So if you are getting married and looking for a little privacy this might not be for you...
Now, don't get me wrong, I understand ppl like to watch and see what is going on, but usually there is more of a boundary, so to speak.

We ate lunch while waiting to get in our room and had a panini sandwich which was outstanding.... The Tiki Bar has a variety of things, but was a little caught off guard when I paid $7.50 for a frozen drink that literally took me about four sips to finish. It was in a 7oz cup, it seemed like....I don't mind the $7.50, just give me a little bit of a bigger glass...

All in all though, everything was very nice.....

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask away!!!

Room Tip: Like I said, if you want quiet, do not get a room oceanfront or close to the restaurant, my friends...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed in Ocean view room. Great view, clean room, nicely lit, tasteful tropics-style decor and clean washroom. Was informed in advance of music / party until 2 am on Thursday night - not issue for us. Friendly staff. Nice property with heated pool, pool chairs, tiki bar, and beach chairs.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I just wrapped up our amazing wedding weekend at the Seashell. It was everything I could possibly ask for and more! The property looks amazing post sandy Reno. My out of towns guests thought it was adorable, the food was amazing, the staff was super attentive and the wedding planners were fabulous!
The night before my wedding the staff warned me the rooms above the bar are super loud so they booked me on the parking lot side to get a good night sleep. There were torrential rains on my "beach wedding day" and the wedding planners worked hard to ensure everything indoors was perfect! The rain was irrelevant by the time the ceremony started bec everything looked beautiful and went off without a hitch! I can't say enough good things about this place and the staff. I've always loved the shell for a drink or happy hour but now having worked so personally with everyone for the last ten months I feel like we couldn't have made a better decision about where to host our wedding! I can't wait to come back after the honeymoon for a drink by the tiki bar!

Stayed May 2014
Acworth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The Seashell has a clean and good looking property and the catering for the wedding was great, bartenders are quick and attentive. The room was modern and clean but there are drawbacks. Wifi is provided but they don't guarantee coverage to all rooms. The premium ocean front rooms don't get a signal so if I wanted to check email I had to walk down to the lobby with my computer. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE in 2014. They spend the money on motion detector lights to conserve energy but not run an RJ45 wire for a wireless access point? This needs to be rectified as I don't think one should have to leave their room to check email. Also, the oceanfront rooms are not for folks wanting a quiet and relaxing getaway. Expect loud noise all night long, we didn't and as a result had very little sleep. Because of the age of the place you must go outside to get to your room and with luggage and in the chilly off season, a negative. If the music and wifi were addressed it would get a higher score but I'm being generous with this score.

Room Tip: ocean views were great, but no wifi and loud noise detracted.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
TJH1957, Owner at Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
We thank you for your recent review and would like to address your concerns. We do not offer WIFI in our rooms, and do not even suggest that their is coverage there. There is wireless internet access, along with a public office computer station available in our resort's lobby. Being an oceanfront property we are built to a very high structural standard, the entire building is solid cement. WIFI in the rooms would be impossible without direct wiring. Some other properties do this, but they also charge for it. We feel that most vacationers these days are accessing their email from their smartphones, perhaps this might be an option for you in the future. Regarding the noise in your room that night; Yes, indeed we are sure you heard the DJ, that was working the wedding reception that you were attending. We strongly warn all guests that those six rooms that are directly above the banquet room can be loud. If we neglected to warn you properly, we are very sorry. Truth be told we have never had a wedding guest complain about the music coming a wedding that they were attending. Perhaps you just turned in early, and again we are sorry if it was a bit loud for you. A resort by definition offers it's guests a vacation that allows them a wonderful experience without needing to leave the property. This is done by providing excellent accommodations, food and beverage, entertainment and activities. The Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club does all this in a most excellent manner. When you arrive at the Sea Shell, there is no reason to leave until you have to go back home. We are the definition of a resort. Again, thank you for your feedback.
Schenectady, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went back to Beach Haven, NJ not quite knowing what to expect after Sandy. We were there the week of September 9th. We had gorgeous weather! The Sea Shell which was badly damaged looked fantastic. They had all new outdoor furniture which was far better than the plastic chairs and tables they used to have. And as usual, the room was very clean, the staff, really nice. You could see the new plantings in the new dunes and it's still a really great vacation spot.

We took a ride around and could see where houses were missing and alot of re-construction going on. That was sobering but the people in the stores and restaurants were so optimistic and seemed genuinely glad that tourists didn't "give up on them". I had heard that the numbers were down about 25% but we wanted to put our money back into the place that's given us so much joy over the years.

Room Tip: Love the 2nd floor facing south, even though you aren't in an ocean front room, the view is stil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We live close by (less than an hr) so we thought we would stay here as a romantic weekend get away ( family had visited with their kids and liked it.) They did tell us abt the dining room that turns into a club room at night so we planned our trip in Sept during the off season. Well little did we know that they hold weddings here in Sept.! We were awoken the first night (Fri) from 11p.m. on, with rowdy obviously drunk party people, cursing as it was obvious they were having problems unlocking the door to the rooms with the ridiculous magnet door swipes! We were sober and had a difficult time as did other guests we spoke to. When I had called the resort the end of July to book I asked for one of the Ocean Deluxe rooms I was told none were available, that should have been a hint that something was going on.So as we make our way to the tiki bar to have a cocktail with friends who came down to join us for the day, we were disappointed to find the wedding was in full swing, occupying a tiki bar and with signs that read "Private Party" on the dining room doors. Also the heated outdoor pool had signs around it saying something like "no splashing in this area". Really? Anyway, we won"t be going back. We will rent a house for a week, or stay down in CAPE MAY!

Room Tip: Oceanside rooms in the summer are noisy at night, club is below.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TJH1957, Owner at Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We are so sorry you were disturbed during your stay. Regarding your issue with our locking system; they are radio frequency locks, the absolute state of the art system available. We literally cannot remember anyone having problems with this system, it is so very easy, you simply hold the card key in front of the lock and it opens, SIMPLE. We use this system because our doors are exterior and it does not allow sand to enter the lock like other systems. The night in question, we did have guests from the next days wedding having drinks at the Tiki Bar, cannot imagine your issue with that, they are simply customers like you, and there were only about fifteen of them. There was a wedding going on in our banquet room, and yes there is a sign on the door saying "private party", again not sure why this is an issue. Regarding the sign at the pool that says "wedding in progress, no splashing", that sign goes up for about 20 minutes while our couples are exchanging vows on the beach, so there are no accidental cannonballs. Hoping you will give us another try.

Been to Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club? Share your experiences!