“Romantic Evening on Long Beach Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gables

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beach Haven
The Gables
You added The Gables to your Saves list
212 Centre Street, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008 (Formerly The Green Gables Restaurant & Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Beach Haven B&B and Inns
Pennington, New Jersey
“Romantic Evening on Long Beach Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of spending an incredibly romantic stay at The Gables Inn and Restaurant in Beach Haven on Long Beach Island in New Jersey. Although I'm a seasoned beachgoer, and fully appreciate the simplicity that a Jersey Shore get-away can hold, I've also had the pleasure of traveling extensively and hold in high regard fine accommodations, sumptuous meals and attentive service.

I was surprised and overwhelmed. The Gables is a meticulously appointed Victorian guesthouse replete with a restaurant to rival any New Jersey rumored four star establishments. The staff is easy and friendly-anything but stuffy-and attentive to every detail.

The meal was truly memorable. Far from the standard shore fare, The Gables restaurant embraces the farm to table experience, "slow food" at its freshest and finest. We began with mussels steamed with saffron, served with crostini and followed by a salad of local micro-greens dressed impeccably with a surprising vinaigrette. My companion had the duck breast with fresh grilled Jersey peaches and I was fortunate enough to have chosen the lamb chops, with an apricot and curry glaze, prepared perfectly medium rare and accompanied by a Moroccan couscous.

We were as comfortable as we could have imagined, all the while feeling pampered, catered to and completely and ultimately sated. We plan to return time and time and time again, knowing we will feel the same about each and every visit

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hoboken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

This was the second time I've been to The Gables for dinner. We had a party of 10 that "could only be seated at 6:30 due to our size." We arrived and not one table was full in the restaurant... Stayed this way until after 8 pm. So we sit down and three people at our table are sitting with their heads in hanging plants... Which were not moved by staff, so we picked up the table and moved it ourselves. We were crammed into a table for 8. I had the mussels app and lamb entree. Lamb portion was small and very overpriced. My wife had 3 scallops for $40. Total rip off. Worst part of night was our waitress. She was ridiculously rude, poured extra random glasses of wine and left them on the table which was odd. Worst yet, she tried to upsell our whole table into a round of gnocchi and then was visibly angry when we did not buy in. Everyone at our table agreed that the waitress was obnoxious and was clearly not deserving the automatic tip of $150+... But due to the size of our party a 20% gratuity was fixed. We ave our credit cards and waited for 10 minutes for our cards before went looking for her. We will not be returning in our next visit to LBI

• Stayed August 2013
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have never stayed at The Gables but I had heard wonderful things about their restaurant. A friend of mine would take her mother there for tea and was just delighted with everything. We decided to go on a recent Saturday night and while the restaurant itself is lovely...lively porch seating, antiqued filled room w/a nice piano player in the foyer...the dinner itself was a huge disappointment.

First, the goat cheese salad. I would call it more of a strawberry salad as there were 3 small sliced strawberries in the salad and a miniscule sliver of goat cheese.

Second, the scallop dish...3 roasted sea scallops atop an 'ok' risotto...nothing to really get excited about...$40!!! I would have expected a few more scallops and a creamier risotto for that amount of money.

Third, the Chilean sea bass...two mouthfuls and the fish was gone. You were left with an over salted (with soy sauce) sticky rice/bok choy side.

The best deal of the evening was the homemade gnocchi. It was very light in a delicate Bolognese sauce...delicious!

I can't say that we will ever go back to The Gables or recommend it but we were all in agreement that we were extremely happy we did not take the Tasting Menu for $100 per person!!!

If you do decide to try The Gables, bring your own wine! They do offer a red and a white but they are undrinkable!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Gables is a wonderful bed and breakfast and restaurant. Walking up the front entrance, past all the beautiful flowers and landscaping is breathtaking. Then, the minute you walk inside, it's like you've come home. The staff treats you like family and are extremely hospitable and friendly. Our room was decorated perfectly and everything was outstanding. Since we were only walking distance from the beach, they were also kind enough to supply beach badges and chairs for our use. At night, it turned into a fabulous restaurant with great atmosphere and amazing food. Next time we come to LBI, we are definitely returning to The Gables.

• Stayed July 2013
South Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a 7:15 reservation on 8/10, we arrived 8 minutes early and you were clearly not ready. We were jammed into a table, we didn't complain. One of the spoons at my setting had food cooked on to it which the buss boy removed after I suggested it would be a good idea. It was not replaced and the server was not informed. The table was a 4 top turned into a six, nothing was level due to worn out leafs (good thing most plates were rectangular). The menu did NOT match your published menu and the item I was set to order didn't exist. I asked if there were specials and the server frowned at this as though specials were inconsistent with what you guys think is a superior product. I wanted the set up from one selection to replace another and was barked at. You think you have things under control? This is where you are mistaken! Your restaurant is mediocre at best. The price value relationship is horribly skewed towards price. In plain NJ words I can only say this "are you kidding me?" You need to get back in that kitchen and fix some of your problems. Which are; pre plated food which is causing wilting of greens, inconsistent temperatures, loss of integrity of vegetables mixed with starches, breakdown of sauces, loss of flavor's. Specifically: the starch with the lamb dish was mush, the beans with the salmon cause the protein to be swimming in liquid, the arugula was warm and wilted in the strawberry salad (by the way...whole macadamia nuts thrown on the plate?) and an overall sense of assembly line food service. I'm not here to help you fix the problems, but you have them. Perhaps you need to slow things down and stop trying to do too much. Greed translates to poor service, packing tables makes it impossible to provide the experience that you may think is being provided. I seriously felt like I was at Willy's pancake house, at least at Willy's the staffs dirty finger nails, wiping of nose with sleeve and deep exhales can be understood. I'm not ashamed of what I've said, but you should be embarrassed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Gable last week for 3 nights. I have got to say this place is just beautiful. The room we stayed in was The Chapel. It had everything we needed with a marble bathroom with tub and shower as well as central air, a flat screen HD television and a very comfortable queen size bed. The bed by the way is very high so they provide you with a small step ladder if you are small to climb into it. The building is surrounded by flowers and the place beams with relaxing music throughout. The lobby is decorated as if you were stepping back in time with gorgeous paintings and a lovely planked antique floor. There is an open air porch where you can have their gourmet breakfast, which is part of the room fee. When they say gourmet, they mean gourmet. You sit at a beautifully set table with fresh flowers and have your choose of 4 to 5 items which come with bacon or sausage, free fruit and other things along with fresh orange juice, coffee and tea. The breakfast is so large it was hard for us to finish the whole plate. There is also a fantastic restaurant later in the evening where you can choose from many delicious entrees in a pleasant relaxing atmosphere with soothing background music. The owner Sondra, could have not been nicer to us. She makes you feel as if you are family, not a hotel guess as does the whole staff. So if you are looking to relax in a beautiful setting run by caring people, book a room here. You won't be disappointed, we weren't.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Chapel where was just great for us. There are also 4 other rooms to choose from de...