“Repeat Visitor” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bay Head
Chicago, IL
“Repeat Visitor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

I have stayed at the Grenville on a few occasions at different times of year from New Years to August. All of my stays were very pleasant. The food is excellent! I especially love the homemade desserts at brunch. This is an older building, so the rooms are smaller than modern facilities. But that adds to the victorian charm which is what the Grenville is all about. If you are looking for sleek modern-this isn't it. If you want cozy, you found it. There are obvious improvements everytime I stay, new drapes, carpet. It is a work in progress. And the architect in me appreciates that they are keeping with the style as much as possible. I love eating on the veranda morning, afternoon and evening.

• Liked — Cozy
  • Disliked — small TV
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
EDISON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We were going to attend my best friends wedding and were told about the Grenville. I also read the reviews and was a bit nervous to go there. To my surprise We had a wonderful time. The Wedding was there and the staff was very nice. The rooms are not large by any means, but they are clean and well kept. I did not find any dirty shower. The sheets were clean. Yes, it is not the Ritz but they are not charging The Ritz prices. Let's be resonable! I think they are doing a very good job. Probably during the summer people may be expecting too much for the shore prices. None the less, I would stay there again, the beach is terrific and the food at the Grenville is sensational!!!!!!. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ some people are just sour and cheap!

• Liked — QUAINT AND HISTORIC BUIDLING, NOT THE RUN OF THE MILL
  • Disliked — NO POOL
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

I'm not a B&B type of traveler so let that be known up front. I've stayed in a couple of them and a few Inns, but it would never be my preference. I would never, for example, say, "hey let's go away for the weekend, and find some cute B&B".

Actually, when my girlfriend told me the White Sands (Point Pleasant) was under renovation I just figured the Grenville was comparable. I didn't pay much attention, I knew it was a busy weekend, and this was pretty much a place to sleep.

So when we pulled up and went in, I tried not to be overly shallow and critical and try and compare this to a Ramada, or a Hilton, or even the White Sands, whatever.

Here's my review:

Check in, fine. Girl was pleasant, it went fast.

Elevator, fine, came quickly, was new.

Floor. Sorta dirty, I also found it weird that the rooms that weren't in use, they left the doors open. Some were unkempt, some had crap piled in them. Just kinda weird. It smelled like pot up there so I figured maybe they were airing out the room.

My room-We were on the 4th floor. I think it was the largest room in the place. At first glance, for someone like myself who's not used to an older place like this, I found it kinda charming. The 4-post bed was fine and the sheets were fine, I don't know what that other person is talking about.

The room was relatively clean, the bathroom, older, with a somewhat newer shower, was pretty good. Teeny bit dirty. Plenty of towels. Nothing terribly wrong, except that you need to close the door and turn on the fan when taking a shower or else you set off the fire alarms. Annoying yes, but I figured this was part of the B&B experience (you experienced B&Bers would know better than I would).

The TV was teeny, weeny but I adjusted. It's tough to listen to, because like others said there's a portable heater on one side of the bed, and I guess a gigantic dehumidifier on the other side? People have already commented, it is very loud, but didn't really bother me except for constantly adjusting the volume on the TV. Plus they could have done something nicer that the 2x4's they have it resting on. But whatever, I'm not picky.

Anyway, put it like this. Down the shore, in this area, I have stayed at stinky, smelly, motels that were scary. I've stayed at the White Sands in PP that I thought was real nice for a "beach" hotel and this place. To sleep, this place was fine. Better than some stinky motel, but not as nice as say the White Sands. We paid $179 a night in the off season. No idea what the Summer rates are, but I wouldn't want to pay much more although if it was comparable in cost to other Shore places, than yeah, I'd pay it if I wanted to be in this area.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

Definitely believe the reviews that are on this site. Let's put it this way....our dinner in the dining room was very good and we had a great time down in Bay Head. The unfortunate thing is that this hotel doesn't do all the little things you would expect from a classic inn. I didn't mind the size of the room but the open space heater/AC is so annoying. It's loud and just looks awful. The sheets are like sleeping on sandpaper. I mean really....invest in some high quality sheets for the guests. The staff is average. They were nice but didn't really go out of their way to welcome the guests. Also, I'm not sure why they have two large wine refrigerators in the lobby. I must say I was disappointed in the Grenville. I don't think they are far from being a great spot but they need to do the little things better. If the manager would spend more time going the extra mile at the inn instead of writing rebuttals to bad reviews on this site the place would be well recommended.

Stayed November 2007
Newburyport, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor we were somewhat worried about what we'd find. On the plus side, our dinner in the dining room was wonderful, even though ours was the only table occupied, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms, however, left something to be desired. Decor is decidedly shabby, pictures were missing from the wall - nails remained behind, furniture is worn and has seen better days, and the portable air conditioner was large and noisy (we called it the nuclear power plant). Although the outside is attractive, the lobby has a hodge-podge of functions - reception desk, bar, large ugly cold drink machine, and a couple of old chairs. The Grenvile needs a facelift!

Stayed October 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

We booked a room at the Grenville in March of 2006 for Oct.2007. Just before leaving home I checked out the trip advisor site to see what the reviews were like. Some of them were not very complimentary and I was a little nervous because we had recommended the Grenville to other family members.
I am happy to say we had a great experience. The rooms were clean and charming. The staff was very friendly . The beach was right around the corner.
We stayed for 5 days and did upgrade to a larger room.
If you are looking for THE RITZ this is not the place for you. If you are looking for something different and quaint you will not be disappointed.

Stayed October 2007
wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

The Grenville looks like a charming B&B from the outside, but inside this purple firetrap looks, feels and smells more like a dark, raunchy roadside motel. Sure, the tattered carpets, bargain basement furnishings and dusty rose tones weren't to my taste, but when my infant's bottle rolled under the bed I threw up in my mouth. The only thing historic was the decades old dirt and crumbs... oh yeah, and the thin, pilled sheets. To top it off, a poor hotel employee came to our door at 10pm to change the batteries on the smoke detector. C'mon, owners! Very classy. For two itchy nights I dreamt of bedbugs scrurrying away from a ghastly hotel fire. Do yourself a favor, stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Nice exterior and decent location
  • Disliked — Interior is dirty and worn down in a 1970s klnd of way. Not historic.
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Grenville? Share your experiences!