“Don't let the name fool you” 4 of 5 stars

The Olde Mill Inn
225 Route 202 (Morristown Road), (I-287, Exit 30B), Basking Ridge, NJ 07920   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Basking Ridge
Tampa, Florida
“Don't let the name fool you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I got booked here by our travel department as the conference center was full. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in. The place had a nice charm to it. The rooms were quite spacious. The staff at the reception were very friendly and there were some great dining options available. If you are in the area you have to try the The Grain House Restaurant which is located on the property. The Coppertop Pub is a perfect place to end the day with a nightcap. The benefit of staying on the ground floor is that each room has a door with direct access to the parking lot. I woud definitley stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground level floors have access to the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

...about the way the guest are treated.
The $15.00 plus for a drink is a joke.
They need to light the parking lot. They skimp too much on things to save money. An unsafe, dark parking lot while it seems is saving you a few bucks will cost you much more when there's an injury, or worse. There is a problem with staff being unkind. We were routinely informed, however, that it's not their fault-- that the owners are not interested and once you hear this from too many staff members too many times, and see too many "cut backs" that look like ways to plaster over problems or save a few bucks at the expense of safety, comfort, and plain old-fashioned hospitality, you get the idea-- go to a regular hotel , a regular chain hotel in the area-- you'll pay less and get more.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
oldemillinn, Manager at The Olde Mill Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
I'm sorry your stay was not enjoyable. I am not aware of any $15.00 drinks however there is a minimum room service order of $15.00 which may be what you are referring to. The parking lot lighting is not the type you may find at a mall or a sporting event, it is a bit more subtle as to not effect guest rooms at night. We have not had any incidents in the parking lot but will take your comments into consideration. We do have outdoor cameras and we are patrolled by the local police department. As I am not sure what cut backs you are referring to it would be difficult for me to address those concerns. What I can tell you is the owner ship is very proud of the company and makes every effort to constantly put money back into the property. Starting in early September we will be installing new carpet in all the public areas of the hotel, and just finished installing our new guest room key system. We also recently moved to Satelite TV with HD Channels, and upgraded our Wifi system to a 50mbps pipe last year. We also have Keurig coffee makers in every room. There are many other projects we are currently working on, as we strive to be the best hotel in the area. As always please feel free to email me directly or call me with any and all concers so I can get more details to better resolve any issues you may have had during your stay.
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Obviously a major wedding venue and it's pretty much set up for that. Good rooms, excellent service. The AC in my room was very noisy so had to switch it off at night. The place is isolated so good for a quiet weekend away. Nice pub and restaurant on site as well. I travelled as a single so found it a little quiet for my taste.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I attended a family wedding here in July and it was amazing! The staff were very attentive all night. They were very quick to clear plates from cocktail tables, and we always making sure the bride/groom and the parents of the couple had food.The food was amazing, everything was delicious.

The rooms are clean and nice and very well done. Our room had a Keurig coffee maker with k-cups which was a nice convenience. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The grounds of this hotel were nice. The staff was prompt and attentive. I wasn't fond of the room I stayed in. It opened to the outside which I do not care for. It smelled musty and you could hear the traffic. I left the AC on to drown out the noise. I did enjoy the breakfast and the Grain House restaurant that shared the parking lot. It's nice to have the 24 hr fitness center but no pool. Overall the room was slightly below average, and the grounds were above average.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I wrote this review when I had stayed at The Old Mill Inn this past December, but never submitted it. Coming across it again today made me realize how much I should have!

This past weekend my boyfriend and I stayed at The Olde Mill Inn for my cousin’s wedding which was also at the hotel. Anticipating the stay, looking at the website, everything looked beautiful and it was! Although a little old and historic (which is part of the charm), it is clean and updated. Walking around the hotel during the holiday season has magical with its Christmas trees and other decorations. The room was nice, large and comfortable and had a balcony overlooking the courtyard. Although I am picky about hotels, what really blew me away about this one was the customer service. Obviously not every employee in every place is wonderful, but considering we had a problem in our room that was slightly controversial, they took care of it completely, free of charge. One man at the front desk even said "just try not to think about it today, you have enough to think about with the wedding." They literally took the stress away. The only downsides were that some employees spoke literally no english. I wasn't uncomfortable but I felt badly when I had to explain things multiple times.
Overall, the 2 night stay was very nice, and when it got stressful they were enthusiastic and helpful which I feel is rare.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wadsworth, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I attended the wedding of a close friend's son last weekend. Everything was first class, especially the food. The inn is a charming older hotel, immaculate and tastefully decorated. Our beds were extremely comfortable and we really appreciated the Keurig coffee maker; request for decaf coffee was promptly filled. The front desk was helpful and informative. The wedding discount was very generous. At the reception, the initial cocktail hour included at least fifty selections of appetizers. Every one we tried was yummy, especially the eggplant parmesan. The dinner menu included Chilean sea bass, chateaubriand, and chicken breast in a lemon sauce. No pre- select here. We had the beef and it was fabulous. The accompanying vegetables were crisp tender and flavorful. The wedding cake was topped off by a visit from the Delicious Ice Cream Company, consisting of a 1950 & 1954 beautiful antique ice cream trucks with attendants in Good Humor man uniforms produced a menu of about 15 ice cream treats. The next morning, the wedding guests were treated to an omelet bar in addition to the normal weekend breakfast. We would have been fine with the hotel offered breakfast, which had a nice selection of fruit, juice, cereal, and pastries. The coffee was excellent. If we ever come to Basking Ridge again, we would definetly stay here even at the regular price.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the courtyard are pretty, but may be too noisy on the weekend if you are an early to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Olde Mill Inn? Share your experiences!