“Insensitive Service” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Somerset, New Jersey
“Insensitive Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have enjoyed the meals I've ordered at Origin, especially the duck. This time it was dry. Although the atmosphere is pleasing, the service is not. Each time we have been hurried through our meal. The focus seems to be to get people quickly through the meal so the table can be cleared for the next group. This works if you have limited time like a lunch hour. It does not work when you want a relaxed dining experience. This last time was the worst. I will not be back again.
If there were more restaurants in the area, I'm sure their business would suffer because of this.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Plymouth, Michigan
“Excellent French-Thai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were brought here by fellow foodies we were visiting in Basking Ridge, and were very glad they chose this venue. Located in a strip mall, the exterior gives no clue to the upscale, interesting interior. Billing itself as "French-Thai" cuisine, Origin's menu offers a wide assortment of offerings. We started with Steamed Mussels ($12.00), served in a lemongrass and Thai basil broth. This app was superb, probably the freshest mussels we've ever had. Maybe that's because New Jersey is on the coast and close to fresh fish markets? Whatever reason, no rubbery mussels here! We so enjoyed the broth that we asked for bread so we could sop up more of it. (Surprising that no bread was served, as is usual in most restaurants.) For mains, two of us selected Wild Boar ($24.00), one chose "Original Duck Tamarind" ($24.00), and our fourth diner had another app for her main course, Somtum (Green Papaya Salad, with roasted garlic, peanuts, lime, vinaigrette and sticky rice crouton, $8.00). The wild boar (sauteed tenderloin) was interesting and very good, less gamey than I actually expected, a little firmer than regular pork. It was served with chili peppers, Thai Basil, shiitake mushrooms, and bok choy. We enjoyed this, but having experienced it, no need to order it again. The winner at the table was the Original Duck Tamarind, ordered by my wife. This came to the table as one half duck, boneless, roasted crisp, served with Asian eggplant, kiwi, and tamarind sauce. It's not often that my wife raves about an entree, but this one hit the bullseye! By the time she put her fork down, she declared this to be one of the best entrees she'd ever had. This from a gourmet cook.......'nuff said. I tasted the duck, and have to agree
-- it was fantastic. We finished with a "Trio Ice Cream" ($8.00), which featured Mango Sorbet, Peach-Ginger Sorbet and Coconut Gelato. I'd guess these were house-made, but don't know that as a fact. In any case, this was a perfect ending as the four of us shared the one dessert. Bottom line, Basking Ridge is probably not on anybody's radar as a fine-dining mecca, but Origin provided an excellent dining experience in a very nice setting. Give it a try!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Good thai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

With the somewhat limited choices in Basking Ridge, this is one of the restaurants I always go to when in town on business. Good thai food at reasonable prices.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Average food ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The food was nothing special, a bit generic and bland. Service was a bit aloof, and apathetic as well. About like eating at a mall food court, but with higher prices.

Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Motley menu choices, over done main courses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was looking forward to a decent Thai meal and was a little disappointed. While the service was very good, the food was mostly dull and overdone.
The raw papaya salad (normally one of my favorites) seemed watered down, literally. I am guessing that there was some water left in the ingredients which pooled at the base of the dish drawing all the flavors to the base. One had to spoon said "water" onto the rest of the salad to get some sense of the peanuts
For my main course I ordered the Thai flat noodles with chicken, squid and shrimp. I think the chef may have forgotten the squid, but more importantly, the dish was so fire hot that I burnt my tongue with the first bite. I could not taste the Thai basil(another of my favorite flavors) because I guess the extremely hot oil must have killed it.
My colleague ordered the Bangkok Duck which was described in the menu as crispy. Read overdone and rubbery. I have a feeling that this duck breast is pre-cooked and then re-heated with the specific sauce before being plated which results in a rather "left-over" experience

• Visited April 2013