“Great service, excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
minnesota
“Great service, excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I felt like a valued guest from the moment that I arrived. I arrived well before 3pm checkin time, and they were able to let me in early. Clean rooms. Convenient and tasty bistro.. I would certainly stay again when I am in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Scuba_MN,
Our goal is to make everyone welcome to our hotel as we value all of our guests. It is good to see that you enjoyed the amenities as well. Please come and see us again in the near future.

Scott Selby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm in town on business and am very pleased with the accommodations here. The TV has HD and that's a big plus since I want to watch the Olympics. The room is spacious, ample parking space. I've not really taken advantage of all the other amenities such as the pool and gym or the bistro downstairs - but from what I saw, they all looked very clean, updated, accommodating. Will stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
gap4jason,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We have great 42” LG TVs in all of our rooms so you do get a great TV viewing experience – happy to hear you were able to enjoy the Olympics from our hotel. Hope to see you soon.

Bridgewater, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

BEWARE: STAFF IS NOT TRUSTWORTHY!!!!!!!! Manager Scott Selby has the worst management skills and trains his staff to provide horrible customer service at this hotel!! He is never available to talk to , does not return messages, and happens to never be at the hotel when needed. My daughter and I stayed at this marriott in basking ridge in November ( 2013 ) to celebrate her 14 th birthday,...she brought along 2 long time best friends. We have done this every year for the past 7 years for her birthday at different Marriotts. This year we chose the basking ridge location. Somehow every year something gets left behind at the room by one of the girls even tho I always try to check before we leave. This year my daughter left her iPad in the nightstand drawer accidentally. We called the hotel as soon as we got home and she noticed she didn't have it. I called immediately and was told by a front desk person that it was there( which I figured it would be) and then he put me on hold. He came back to the phone, I believe his name was Devon or David, and proceeded to tell me that now NO,...they did NOT have it. I asked him kindly to please go check the room and told him exactly where she left it. I got a call back saying they did not locate it. To this day ( almost 4 months later ) no one at this Marriott has called to try and make good on the " missing " iPad. We were told with certainty that no guest had entered that room after we checked out but that 2 hotel employees HAD. That was all the information we were given. This to me was extremely obvious that the iPad was in the hands now of a hotel employee. I did call Marriott headquarters to no avail. I have exhausted all avenues ,..with a veryyyy upset teenager( even tho she was at fault for less ing it behind ,in her state of sleep deprivation and distractions) and NO HELP WHATSOEVER from the Marriott management and front desk team. My daughters father visited the hotel numerous times asking to speak with Scott who conviently was " never in " . We both called the hotel and left message after message asking that someone please call us back to let us know if they had found anything during the supposed investigation they were going to conduct. No return phone calls. I have never dealt with such horrible customer care and have decided to NEVER stay in another Marriott because of this horrible service in Basking Ridge. What a dissappointment . If anyone stays here,...if you have anything of value,..do NOT leave it in your room even if you leave to get a bite to eat or go to work, THIS STAFF CAN NOT BE TRUSTED!!!

Stayed November 2013
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Beachbum 680,
I am sorry we were not able to neither locate your daughter’s iPad nor resolve the issue to your satisfaction. I want to assure you we did everything we could to recover the iPad: we immediately searched the room when you initially called and the iPad was not in the room, an internal and police investigation was conducted where both of the employees who entered the room were interrogated, and we turned the incident over to Marriott’s Corporate Claims. I did have the opportunity to speak with your daughter’s father on two occasions and I let him know the actions the hotel had taken, provided the corporate claim number and informed him corporate claims would be his point of contact for further inquiries. Once again, I am sorry for the loss of the iPad and that I fell short of your expectations in handling the issue.

Worcester, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night on business. We arrived just as the roads were icing up around 3pm so we decided to stay in. We were extremely bored, counting down the minutes until 5pm when the Bistro opened for dinner so we could at least get a drink.

We grabbed a couple drinks a little after 5, a short cranberry vodka and a Stella Artois. The bartender got it for us and we told him we would pay then instead of opening a tab...then he walked away and got on the phone at the front desk without saying anything. Someone else rung it up for us. It cost about $14! Unreal.

For dinner I ordered a turkey BLT that came with two sides. I asked for a quinoa salad and chips and my husband a turkey burger. The waitress didn't even know they had a turkey burger on the menu...we had to point it out to her. Then she returned over a half hour later to tell him that they didn't have any turkey burgers! So...he asked for a regular burger. Around another half hour later she returned with his burger (which had no cheese on it so he had to call her back when he realized it to get some) and my sandwich. She informed me THEN that they had no quinoa salad. She didn't bring out the bag of chips either so I had to remind her. I asked for "veggie sticks" instead which was basically a couple carrots and some celery, sopping wet, on a wet plate with no ranch or anything. She walked by my husband at least 7 times while his beer was empty and never asked if he wanted another. I guess they don't want tips here. All this time, there were a total of 6 other patrons that came and went and some weren't even ordering food. She claimed they were backed up... I suppose some hotel guests may have ordered room service but the place was dead. There were probably 10 cars in the whole parking lot. The sandwich and burger tasting good were the only redeeming quality at the Bistro. It was terrible, smoky from the kitchen that must not have very good ventilation and kind of expensive considering everything.

The hotel itself was just ok. As I stated before it was dead in that place. A loud guy whose voice I recognized from the bar was in the room next to ours! Why? The place is huge and it was empty! We could hear him talking on the phone or something. The walls are paper thin and the room echoed when we talked.

Alas, it's a Marriott. I didn't expect any frills and I sure didn't get any. But it was worse than I expected it to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor only because the parking lot can be loud on the first floor where we stayed...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Joyce V.

I am so sorry we provided such poor service in the Bistro during your stay in our hotel. I assure you this is not indicative of the service we typically provide and is not acceptable. I had the opportunity to research what had happened during your visit. Due to such low occupancy in the hotel right after the holiday, we chose to have an off property post-holiday party for the entire staff. We brought in outside labor from a sister hotel and the staff was not completely knowledgeable of our menu and facility. This should not be so apparent and once again I apologize for our failures. Hopefully, you will join us in the future and give us the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for New Years Eve night because we attended a party close by. We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It's a perfect stay for a night or two. Very clean and kind of trendy. They even have room service! Room service was not available for us because it was new years eve but the front desk gave us the phone number to a Chinese food restaurant and a pizzaera who both delivered to the hotel.
My only extremely minor problems were their blanket on the bed was so thin I was cold but my husband called the front desk at 3:00am and they brought me a heavier blanket right away :), there's no refrigerator in the room and the hotel is in a pretty desolate (rich) area..but there is a hidden 7/11 a few yards away in a gas station.
When you book, you have the option to add breakfast for 2 for just $5.00 more. DO IT. The quality of the food is basically like diner food (which is better than your typical free hotel breakfast), and our bill came out to $30.00 for the two of us, so we were really happy we added the breakfast for $5.00.
If you're looking for a quick stay, definitelyyyy stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Amanda T,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard at Basking Ridge to bring in the New Year!! I appreciate the kind words with respect to the cleanliness, décor and amenities of the hotel – we are very proud of the product we offer to our guests! I agree with you regarding the breakfast included rate, it is a great value. Please join us again in the future!

Regards,

Brick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stay a many Marriott hotels and happened to stay two separate times in December of 2013 at this one in Basking Ridge. I was not overly impressed with the rooms which are starting to show wear and tear, plus are pretty compact but functional. What bothered me the most is the lobby and bistro area are kept in the dark and what I mean by this is little to no lights. I have to confirm that the bar area was even open and found it just strange that the staff was also working in the dark. Not sure if this is the "look or feel" they are going for but when you have to ask if it is even open then it is not working in your favor. They do not offer any coffee in the morning as you leave unless you once again stumble over in the dark and pay for a cup. I opted to leave and visit a local Bistro. The location is good if you need to be in this area for business or pleasure.
I did not use the Pool or gym so cannot comment on those amenities.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Life is a Cabernet,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, your feedback is important to us as it allows us to improve service to all of our guests. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations with respect to renovations, lighting and coffee service. We are starting to plan on our room’s renovation and we should be updating them late next year or early 2016. Our last rooms renovation was five years ago and the rooms are still very clean and fresh. We do keep the lighting down during dinner service as do most restaurants but I will double check the lighting to ensure the staff is not turning it too low. I am surprised to hear you felt the mornings were dark as well as we turn the lights up completely for breakfast service. On occasion we have served people in the dark as some people tend to wander in prior to us opening in the morning. Courtyard by Marriott has an agreement with Starbucks to sell coffee in the morning in the public space but we do have complimentary coffee in each guest room. I hope you will join us on your future trips to Basking Ridge.

Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was another of out 'Staycations'. We were at a nearby attraction and decided to stay the night instead of going back home. What a great decision. The hotel was first class as was the staff. They have a great mid-sized pool with a exercise/weight room/gym. The room service was fast and tasty! The breakfast was actually better than most diners. It was always quiet even though the parking lot was full to the brim. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
NewarkScubaDiver,
Thank you for writing such a complimentary review. I am so glad you chose our hotel for your “staycation” and were able to enjoy the amenities we offer. We will be upgrading our pool in early 2014 with new decking and furniture to make this area even better. We do offer an added amenity above most Courtyard’s by Marriott by offering in room delivery of our dinner menu from the Bistro. I am happy you found the food “tasty”. Please join us again!!

Regards,
Scott Selby

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!