“Very happy with my stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
Staten Island, New York
“Very happy with my stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for New Years Eve night because we attended a party close by. We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It's a perfect stay for a night or two. Very clean and kind of trendy. They even have room service! Room service was not available for us because it was new years eve but the front desk gave us the phone number to a Chinese food restaurant and a pizzaera who both delivered to the hotel.
My only extremely minor problems were their blanket on the bed was so thin I was cold but my husband called the front desk at 3:00am and they brought me a heavier blanket right away :), there's no refrigerator in the room and the hotel is in a pretty desolate (rich) area..but there is a hidden 7/11 a few yards away in a gas station.
When you book, you have the option to add breakfast for 2 for just $5.00 more. DO IT. The quality of the food is basically like diner food (which is better than your typical free hotel breakfast), and our bill came out to $30.00 for the two of us, so we were really happy we added the breakfast for $5.00.
If you're looking for a quick stay, definitelyyyy stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Amanda T,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard at Basking Ridge to bring in the New Year!! I appreciate the kind words with respect to the cleanliness, décor and amenities of the hotel – we are very proud of the product we offer to our guests! I agree with you regarding the breakfast included rate, it is a great value. Please join us again in the future!

Scott Selby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Brick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stay a many Marriott hotels and happened to stay two separate times in December of 2013 at this one in Basking Ridge. I was not overly impressed with the rooms which are starting to show wear and tear, plus are pretty compact but functional. What bothered me the most is the lobby and bistro area are kept in the dark and what I mean by this is little to no lights. I have to confirm that the bar area was even open and found it just strange that the staff was also working in the dark. Not sure if this is the "look or feel" they are going for but when you have to ask if it is even open then it is not working in your favor. They do not offer any coffee in the morning as you leave unless you once again stumble over in the dark and pay for a cup. I opted to leave and visit a local Bistro. The location is good if you need to be in this area for business or pleasure.
I did not use the Pool or gym so cannot comment on those amenities.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Life is a Cabernet,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, your feedback is important to us as it allows us to improve service to all of our guests. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations with respect to renovations, lighting and coffee service. We are starting to plan on our room’s renovation and we should be updating them late next year or early 2016. Our last rooms renovation was five years ago and the rooms are still very clean and fresh. We do keep the lighting down during dinner service as do most restaurants but I will double check the lighting to ensure the staff is not turning it too low. I am surprised to hear you felt the mornings were dark as well as we turn the lights up completely for breakfast service. On occasion we have served people in the dark as some people tend to wander in prior to us opening in the morning. Courtyard by Marriott has an agreement with Starbucks to sell coffee in the morning in the public space but we do have complimentary coffee in each guest room. I hope you will join us on your future trips to Basking Ridge.

Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was another of out 'Staycations'. We were at a nearby attraction and decided to stay the night instead of going back home. What a great decision. The hotel was first class as was the staff. They have a great mid-sized pool with a exercise/weight room/gym. The room service was fast and tasty! The breakfast was actually better than most diners. It was always quiet even though the parking lot was full to the brim. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
NewarkScubaDiver,
Thank you for writing such a complimentary review. I am so glad you chose our hotel for your “staycation” and were able to enjoy the amenities we offer. We will be upgrading our pool in early 2014 with new decking and furniture to make this area even better. We do offer an added amenity above most Courtyard’s by Marriott by offering in room delivery of our dinner menu from the Bistro. I am happy you found the food “tasty”. Please join us again!!

Avon, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Recently stayed at hotel 10/28-10/30 for business. Positively, hotel clean and staff friendly.

Negatively, fire alarms went off on 10/28 around 1015 PM. Had to stand outside for an hour plus in lobby for another ~45 minutes or so getting back to room closer to midnight. Turns out there was something triggering smoke on 4th floor and fire department had to deal with this, air out the place a little, and do inspection. Made for a poor night sleep.

Did not see hotel go out of there way to make up for a poor unforseen event. After traveling all day and working and being exhausted, thought they could have offered up something proactively besides finally giving out water in the lobby and some chips.

Also, disappointed that this hotel has stopped offering coffee in AM. Can't even get a cup in lobby anymore until cafe opens. Understand need of hotel to make a "dime", but really? Every other courtyard and fairfield I've been too offers this.

Net out I would have to rate the overall experience as poor. 2nd night was a little better, but then again hard to really mess up when you get to room 8PM and leave by 630AM.

While I am in area often, this hotel is not my 1st choice and is generall ok, albiet a little over priced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Steve P,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I do apologize for the fire alarm as we had a motor in one of the air distribution units seize and subsequently, a rubber belt started to give off smoke causing the alarm to go off. I also apologize for not compensating during the emergency we will try to react quicker next time. As far as the coffee, this is now a corporate mandated standard of the Courtyard brand which offers the Bistro concept to not offer complimentary coffee. Reason being, the Bistro proudly brews Starbucks products and we have an agreement with Starbucks to sell coffee. I am sorry this was such a poor experience and I hope you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you next time.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a shopping trip...nice lobby...pretty business person oriented...front desk person just kind of blah....no coffee in lobby was most disappointing...rooms very nice...decor very pleasant....would stay again but not overly impressed

• Stayed October 2013
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Nikki R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as your feedback is very important to us and it allows us to improve service to all of our guests. Sorry we did not make a great impression with you as we strive to make all of customers happy. The removal of the complimentary coffee is now a mandated standard of the Courtyard brand but we still offer free coffee in the guest room. I hope you stay with us again and give us the opportunity impress you.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I recently stayed for 1 night here on a trip over to the US from the UK. Didn't get into the hotel till about 8pm and left early the next morning. My overall view of the place is that the room was extremely comfortable, exceptionally clean and I had a good nights sleep.
It is a perfect place for an overnight stay. My only negative comment would be that the amenities on offer are a bit on the expensive side. $7 for a beer seems a bit steep!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
JonPSmith,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and commenting on the comfort and cleanliness, we take great pride in our product and it shows. We recently replaced all of the mattresses in the hotel so I am sure this helped you get a “good night’s sleep”. We do try to price our food and beverage competitive with the other restaurants and hotels in the area.

Thank you and we hope you will stay with us once again!!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had our wedding on October 5th and had approximately 25+ rooms booked at the Courtyard Marriott.

- First off, kudos to Kelly, the Property Coordinator for her amazing follow up and communication with me. You made my months and weeks leading up to the wedding that much easier and stress free. Your professionalism is certainly one to also be commended! I did not have to worry about anything as a bride.
- The hotel was great to our guests. I was afraid as i walked in on Friday with all the weddings and bar mitzvahs they were having, that our guests would be overwhelmed and no attention would be taken to them. I was wrong. The staff their handled it all so very well. The hotel is located in a very nice area of Basking Ridge and within walking distance to an amazing little strip mall with Starbucks, a great place for breakfast or lunch (Urban Table) and a few other spots.
- The rooms were great, beds were comfortable and the food that was delivered to our room was delicious!
- Only thing that was a disadvantage of the property was that you could not turn left out of the property but being from Jersey, I totally understand why they do that.

But again, I could not have gotten any of this done without their wonderful and prompt communication of Kelly. Thank you tons to their staff too for making our guests feel welcomed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
cyne1021,
Wow, what an amazing review!! We are so proud of Kelly and the job she does each and every day and are grateful to have such a professional on our staff. I will ensure she gets recognized for her efforts. Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to write this review. I am so glad we could be a part of your wedding and hopefully made it a little more special.
Congratulations and thank you,
Scott Selby

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!