“Quaint little secluded place” 4 of 5 stars

Spalding Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   199 Mountain View Rd, Whitefield, NH 03598   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Whitefield B&B and Inns
Melrose, Massachusetts
“Quaint little secluded place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

A couple months back I saw a groupon for this place and decided to buy it for a long-weekend get-away. We live in the Boston area, so it was about 2.5 hours north of us. We were able to take 93 almost the entire way, making it relatively easy/direct. It's about 20 minutes off the highway, into the mountainous countryside.

The grounds were beautiful, and the Inn was very nice. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to attend to our needs. My wife and I ate at the 2 Kings Restaurant at the Inn, and we were very pleased we did. The portion sizes were very generous, and the prices couldn't be beat. The continental breakfast was just fine, it would have been nice to have some fresh fruit (even just apples or oranges), but they had plenty of bread-stuffs there.

My wife and I took a walk along the road abutting the property, where they were going to build condos, but funding apparently fell through. It's a relatively short but nice walk. We saw several different types of birds, including a gaggle of turkey's, and a long-tail deer that just stared at us as we walked by.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a "typical New England get-away".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Newmarket, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Spalding Inn is exactly what they say it is on the web site. You get the real thing. People are apparently expecting something like a 5 star resort when they come to the inn. Its a historic inn people... what part of that don't you get? There's going to be noises and creaks and it's going to look like grandmas house when you walk in. The staff is impeccable and most of the guests truly appreciate what it stands for and what it is. I just wish some would just take a step back and smell the fresh mountain air, put their phones away and just relax...that is what it is there for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mansfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

A good place to be "unplugged" as you have no tv and just a playstation area for the kids. As if you were back in the 1950's...fine for me, but not exactly what we expected. My teenagers would have been bored if they weren't so tired from spending the day at Franconia Notch.

Dinner was really good and well priced, but maybe someone didn't show up for work that night, since it took forever to get service and only two people were working. I think one was the front desk clerk! The chicken parm was HUGE and delicious and the salmon was great.

Room Tip: some rooms are supposedly "haunted"..we slept fine in one that had no ghosts
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Didn't even stay the night. The room was very old and dated. One window was rotting and mildewed with water stains on the wall below. The mattress of the twin beds that were put together was clearly ancient and was filthy. The bathroom---really, update a little. Floor was dusty and clearly hadn't been cleaned. The tub and sink were clearly originals with stains and even a spider in the tub. The hall carpet was stained and dirty. Creepy all around. Not into the haunted thing, so the place creeped me out. The lady at the desk was very nice and offered another room or a cleaning(but I don't think they could change the mattress or replace the window!). No tvs in rooms, no a/c or refrigerator. If you are into rustic(old and creepy), then you'd be fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this inn as he had purchased a groupon, Amazing groupon deal, but the inn was not so amazing. The staff at the front desk were friendly enough. We had the opportunity to look at two rooms, just in case we wanted to stay another night. We ended up choosing a room on the first floor which was much quieter than the alternative 2nd floor room right across from a family with kids. The rooms were slightly different though. Whereas the 2nd floor had no AC, but a fan, the first floor had an AC. The king bed were two twin beds placed together which was annoying. We knew already that the rooms did not have any TV so that wasn't a surprise. I didn't have a problem that the inn was old, but I was surprised that it was not kept like it should have been. Some of the furniture had peeling paint, the sitting chair in the room we stayed in had a loose leg, and the bathroom lighting was terrible. After being on "Ghost Hunters" and being placed on the map, I would think that the rooms would have been a little nicer. Maybe they didn't want to change too many things because of the ghosts? I'm not sure. The prettiness of the outside front porch and the main building does not fit the look of the rooms. We were glad that we only booked this place for one night. The Spalding Inn was more like the Sputtering Inn. This place has great potential but is quite away from it as yet. On a good note, the grounds are nice and so are the views.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor as well as the carriage houses are said to be haunted. Nothing happened when we were o...
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary weekend in the White Mountains and stayed in Room 15 of the Carriage House at the Spalding Inn. We loved every minute of our stay there. Although we went as a couple, we would love to go back and take our sons there - it's very family friendly. The staff is AMAZING - so friendly and unfailingly helpful. The food in the main dining room was delicious - I had a bourbon sauce salmon with maple glazed carrots and wild rice, my husband had a beautiful chicken fettucine alfredo. The service was very good and the chef has prepared a wonderful menu. Later in the weekend my husband won the 2 Kings Pub (also on the premises) hot wing challenge and got his photo on the "Wall of Pain." Lol - the staff made an event of this and it will remain a fond memory. Our room was clean and cute (we had no paranormal activity, although I don't doubt the premises are haunted) and spacious. We had one problem with the shower, and the staff was all over it immediately to get it fixed. The continental breakfast is a nice feature and a great way to start a day of hiking or sight seeing. I have seen reviews for this inn that complain that its condition is not fancy or polished enough, but it was evident to me that the owners have been making substantial and costly improvements to the structure (new standing seam roofs perhaps the most obvious) and that time will bring more. I've stayed in fancier and more "elegant" (and more expensive, let's not forget) hotels and never had as enjoyable a stay as this one. At the Spalding Inn you will feel immediately at home in a warm, relaxed environment. It reminds me of all the old time classic inns that pepper the landscape in the White Mountains, the Adirondacks and the Catskills. In a word, it's wonderful. Just go. :)

Room Tip: We loved the rooms in the Carriage House - they are large and apart from the main inn - a little mor...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

we stayed at this inn because we had a groupon. The inn is quite old. our king bed was actually two twin beds joined together and the beds were quite creaky. we could also hear all the noises around our room, thus disturbing our night sleep. The room is bright and neat, but does not have many amenities- like no A/c, no hair dryer, no wi-fi or tv (not complaining coz its a great opportunity to spend more time with family)

Its an okay place to stay if you are not planning to spend a lot of time in your room. Like in our case, we would go out early in the morning after breakfast and come back late after dinner around 10 pm. Essentially our room was used to sleep and to use the bathroom.

The breakfast included is not great - toast, bagels, waffles, cereals, tea and coffee everyday. i guess this is sufficient for a good start to the day and is convenient coz you dont have to go looking for a restaurant early in the morning.

The staff are really good and are also very helpful. The inn is clean and well kept, although it could do with some revamping.

And please, dont go by all the paranormal activity thing. There is no such thing there !

Room Tip: Any room is good. just remember to make a mention about the air conditioner incase you need one. All...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Spalding Inn? Share your experiences!