“Beautiful restoraton of a grand hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Spring Special
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
nashua,nh
“Beautiful restoraton of a grand hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The restoraton of this place is great. It's nice to see a grand hotel from the past that got save from the wrecking ball. The place is very well staffed & they were very friendly & helpful. There are lots of things to do to keep the kids entertained. Pools & kid activities.The restaurants are the only area that needs some work. I'll go into detail on this. They do need to bus the tables more quickly in order to prevent waiting times. I know it's not always easy, but perhaps a few bus boys instead of the waitstaff doing it, could speed things up a bit. I'm a bit of a tradtionalist when it comes to these types of hotels..I like to dress up for dinner. The Mt. Washington relaxed their dresscodes recently to allow almost anything now. They now have "chef stations" Owning a catering company, this to me still means a buffet. We do this all the time, but hey, I like formality when fine dining. The Mountainview does have a small more formal dining room, along with the "WineCellar". No kids here,which is nice.The WineCellar was a very intimate dining experience. The food was very good, bordering on truly excellent. The only issue we had was the 3 hour plus dinner time. I like a fairly long formal dinner, but this was definately too long. Two hours would have been fine. Staying at the hotel, we dealt with it fine, but were eager to finally depart. I'd hate to be a couple who travelled some distance to the hotel for dinner. That being said, the Mountainview is a beautiful place to stay. Rooms were nice, especially the bathrooms. Really enjoyed the nightly "turndown" service with little chocolates, reminds me of our trips on Cunard cruiseline. Nice attention to detail here.The only downsides to the rooms, I like a FIRM bed. I'd love something not so soft in the future.You also need better curtains to block the early sun. The blinds really don't do the trick. All that being said I'd definately be willing to stay here again for it's ambience & charm.

Room Tip: Ask to be in an area without childeren nearby if you want more peace & quiet. Lower level floors...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear keithmNashua_nh,

Thank you for your feedback and compliments to our staff. We appreciate you taking the time to review and for your suggestions. We're glad you were able to enjoy a dinner in the Wine Cellar and that you are looking to return. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Christoper Diego
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
North Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Each year the Mt View Grand has made our vacation a special one. From the kids club to the club house staff we always feel comfortable here. This year both Logan at the club house and Ms Baker were exceptional. The carnival was perfect for the three twelve year olds as well as the 44 year old in the dunk tank and at the laser tag area. Mr Kennedy at the golf course also was someone that made one of our daughter's experience special. Thank you so much for a great vacation.

Room Tip: We choose the rooms with a balcony. Gorgeous views and lots of privacy.
Dear Kristine M,

We appreciate your review! We're glad to hear you and your family enjoyed our Labor Day Carnival. Thank you for your kinds words. We look forward to seeing you around the resort again in the future!

Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights mid August for part of our family vacation. The views from the property of the 57 mountain peaks are breathtaking! Our children loved the pools, gameroom, s'more making, and the farm tour. Besides the scenery, the best part of our stay was the axe throwing competition. This was fun to watch, and Ms. Baker was very enthusiastic. She had my husband and the other competitors performing Karate Kid moves and reciting lines from Braveheart. Although a little small, our room was very clean and the breakfast buffet was a good value. We went on the history tour which was interesting and allowed us to see the beautiful Wine Cellar. I recommend trying their famous blueberry sunset spritzer poolside or on the gorgeous front porch.

Dear Amy L,

Thank you for reviewing. It's great to hear you and your family enjoyed your time with us and were able to enjoy Axe Throwing and our History Tour. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Concord NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We are seasoned travelers having traveled in the US, carribean as well as Europe and have stayed in some Fantastic resorts. One of our Favorite resorts here in NH is the Mount Washington at Bretton Woods. Our hope was that the Mountain View would be just like the Mount, but on a smaller scale. Our first Impression of the resort was lunch in the Country Club Restaurant - It was an early lunch as we had arrived before noon. They seem very "disconnected" from the main Hotel. The Waitress served the Seafood chowder with the chowder slopped all over the side of the bowl and on the doily - Big No-No on a supposedly high end resort restaurant. We also asked her if the Hotel was privately owned, or part of a chain - She said she didn't know - EXCUSE ME? We asked how long she had been there - she said 3 months - she should have known this - so there is an employee orientation issue. The main reception area is excellent and high points to the Bell hops and front desk - The Tavern was excellent for dinner. The Food very well prepared. I was really disappointed that there were no robes for the rooms - My expectation in a "luxury" Hotel is that the Rooms - or at least the upgraded rooms should have Robes hanging in the closet - I was told that was not an amenity of the hotel - Wow! especially when there were robes available in the Spa - The other issue, which is beyond your control, we understand that - and the problem is the number of spoiled, obnoxious children running rampant thru-out the hotel with little to no parental supervision. Really puts a kabash on what was supposed to be a relaxing overnight trip to check out your hotel to see if we wanted to stay for an elongated period of time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tropicalconversion,

We appreciate the feedback of all of our guests as it helps us know what needs to be improved upon. Your concerns regarding the Country Club staff have been shared with Mr. David Roberts, our Director of Food & Beverage. Additional training has been implemented in the hope that your concerns will be amended.

Thank you for taking the time to review and for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the resort in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Went here on the recommendation of a co-worker and couldn't have been more pleased. A big old NH hotel, vacant and unused in the 90's then reno'd and reopened in 2002, it maintains its old feel (lodge like decor) with many modern amenities. Huge front porch lined with Adirondack chairs, it's great sitting out there in the evening sipping a cocktail.

ALL staff were very friendly and courteous. It's chock full of stuff to do for the whole family. Where do I start? Farm on-site for kids to explore, outdoor pool, nine holes of golf, tennis courts, hiking trails, movie theater, a great game room, s'more's in the evening and mini-camps for the kids, organized sports games, etc. Most activities included with your room fee (not sure about golf, didn't do that)

Of course I have to mention the Axe throwing lessons with Ms. Baker (Director of Activities). One of the more unusual things I've experienced. It was fun to do (as you can see by the title of my review...) and she is quite enthusiastic and could have possibly been in the military in a prior life... :-)

I'd like to focus on the attentive staff though. Front desk, meals, and the young people running the activities were all very polite, personable, and engaging.

Ms. Baker runs a tight ship with her activities crew, but the result is a good experience had by all. My son participated in the mountaineering club session, and was eager to 'do it again' next year. During the campfires in the evenings, I had some nice conversations with the folks tending to the fire about the area, etc.

You won't be disappointed if you go the the Mountain View Grand. Be sure to take advantage of all the activities they offer. (did I mention the Wine tasting?)

Dear E-Dog73,

Thank you for your considerate review. Your kind remarks about Ms. Baker and about all of our staff are appreciated and have been passed along. We hope to welcome you back for a return visit in the future!

MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night while coming to visit Santa's Village. First the positive-the outdoor pool was very large with lots of space to play. The barn was fun to visit and the staff there was very knowledgeable. We loved picking a movie and watching it in the theater with popcorn included. Nice touch. The front porch offers amazing views of the mountains and grounds and we loved sitting there and having our afternoon snack. Room service for dinner was quick and enjoyable. Breakfast buffet was delicious and plentiful with lots of great choices.

Now the negative-The rooms are small and somewhat dated. Our room had a loud window air conditioner. The staff were hit or miss. Some were very kind and chatty (the waitress on the veranda) and others seemed to not care that we were there. We checked in at 3 and were hoping to participate in the evening children's program but were told that you had to sign up by 12:30. Not sure how we could have signed up if we hadn't checked in.

My biggest complaint had to do with the accessibility of the resort. My son broke his leg before our trip and was in a full leg cast. I called and requested a room with a walk in shower or at least one with a seat and hand held shower. I was told that the only room like this was $297. The regular rate with triple A for a standard room was $188. It did not have an accessible shower and they would not offer the accessible room at the same rate. The only elevator at the hotel is a charming cage door crank elevator. Great for nostalgic purposes but incredibly slow when you have to have an elevator and it has to run by a bell hop. The hotel kindly gave us a wheelchair to travel around the grounds but the only way out was a tiny service elevator that was only big enough for the wheel chair. The grounds themselves are beautiful but not great for accessibility. There are very few paved paths-the pool was down a grassy hill that was impossible to navigate.

Some good things here and had we not been in the situation we were in, I may have had higher praise but was disappointed that the reservation manager did not accommodate our needs at a more reasonable rate. Ultimately we chose the less expensive room because we were on a budget and had to skip the shower.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear vacationplannerMa,

Thank you for speaking with me today regarding the details of your visit. I appreciate you taking the time to help us better understand your experience.

As we discussed, I have meet with my staff to discuss your specific needs regarding your son’s broken leg and our guestrooms this afternoon. While the resort does meet the necessary accessibility codes, more consideration could have be given to your unique situation and that you were on a budget. We have created a process to evaluate requests such as yours in the future.

I was glad to learn you enjoyed other aspects of the resort and visiting Santa’s Village. We look forward to welcoming you back to the White Mountains in the future and wish your son a speedy recovery.

With best regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Well, where do I begin to describe a place that charged us $425 a night (before tax, tax, and tax), and made us wait for 6 hours to check in? And also billed us not only the $55 for three buffet breakfasts, but also an additional $70 "tip" without explanation or apology (and would not have done anything had I not caught them)? This is a very nice physical plant--building, rooms, amenities, but completely over the top and out of balance. For example, there are 6 valets out front to take your car, but one person behind the check in desk. This is the middle of northern New Hampshire--there are maybe 6 cars per hour, max. Service in the restaurant? It really depends--if you don't have a trainee, you may be in luck.

The property is kept in very good condition, and most things seemed to work just fine. There was free internet that worked well, and the bathroom worked well--no stuck drains, weird toilets or anything. It attracts a clientele that seems evenly balanced between goombas from New Jersey in their quadra-knit lime green tuxedos, there for a wedding, and a slightly insecure Boston crowd that are quick to explain why they prefer this hotel to the more grand and more established Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods. The pool is excellent, as is the spa and indoor pool.

You really need to convince yourself that you would prefer to spend $450 a night here than $100 a night just 300 yards away at the Spalding, which has a very much lower key, but charming, appeal.

Room Tip: Make sure to check your bill carefully before signing the chit.
Dear suitcasepro,

Thank you for your review.

I have attempted to contact you to further discuss your comments, but you have not responded. I was hoping to learn more about your visit and address your concerns.

I was able to identify your reservation and evaluated our service at the time of your visit. You checked in at 3:40PM. Our published check in time is 3:00PM. The staffing at the time consisted of four bellmen, two Front Desk agents and the Front Office manager. The State of New Hampshire only assesses one occupancy tax, which is 9% of the room rate. We did make an error in processing your breakfast charge, which was corrected when brought to our attention.

In regard to your judgmental comments regarding other guests, I feel that it is poor form and unnecessary.

We are constantly striving to improve our performance and appreciate all feedback.

Managing Director

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!