The restoraton of this place is great. It's nice to see a grand hotel from the past that got save from the wrecking ball. The place is very well staffed & they were very friendly & helpful. There are lots of things to do to keep the kids entertained. Pools & kid activities.The restaurants are the only area that needs some work. I'll go into detail on this. They do need to bus the tables more quickly in order to prevent waiting times. I know it's not always easy, but perhaps a few bus boys instead of the waitstaff doing it, could speed things up a bit. I'm a bit of a tradtionalist when it comes to these types of hotels..I like to dress up for dinner. The Mt. Washington relaxed their dresscodes recently to allow almost anything now. They now have "chef stations" Owning a catering company, this to me still means a buffet. We do this all the time, but hey, I like formality when fine dining. The Mountainview does have a small more formal dining room, along with the "WineCellar". No kids here,which is nice.The WineCellar was a very intimate dining experience. The food was very good, bordering on truly excellent. The only issue we had was the 3 hour plus dinner time. I like a fairly long formal dinner, but this was definately too long. Two hours would have been fine. Staying at the hotel, we dealt with it fine, but were eager to finally depart. I'd hate to be a couple who travelled some distance to the hotel for dinner. That being said, the Mountainview is a beautiful place to stay. Rooms were nice, especially the bathrooms. Really enjoyed the nightly "turndown" service with little chocolates, reminds me of our trips on Cunard cruiseline. Nice attention to detail here.The only downsides to the rooms, I like a FIRM bed. I'd love something not so soft in the future.You also need better curtains to block the early sun. The blinds really don't do the trick. All that being said I'd definately be willing to stay here again for it's ambience & charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Founded in 1865 and set on 1,700 acres with sweeping views of the White Mountains, Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa is New England's premier historic mountain resort. It was the only resort or hotel in the state to earn AAA Four Diamond awards in both Lodging and Dining for since 2008. With stellar dining choices from the gourmet selections in the wine cellar to casual meals in the Tavern or spectacular views at the seasonal Club House and Veranda, guests find a style and price to fit their mood. With a full-time Activities Department and complimentary children's programs, guests enjoy hiking, kayaking, biking, indoor and outdoor pools, a health and wellness center, golf on the resort's historic course, and four Classic Clay tennis courts. In winter, it's time for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snow tubing, ice skating, snowmobiling, and dog sled adventures. Mountain View also provides the opportunity to choose from over 500 movie selections in the in-house movie theater. Mountain View Farm features friendly animals at the Big Red Barn. Evening activities include marshmallow toasting over an open campfire. Conde Nast Traveler named Mountain View one of North America's top five resort spas for 2008. There are great views high in the landmark Tower Spa, with an infinity-edge Sok tub and side-by-side massages a specialty. The Presidential Suite has spectacular vistas, a private wet bar, fireplace, flat-screen TVs, hand-painted furniture, and a lovely dining area with French doors. The elegant master bedroom has a king-size bed and cozy window nook while the master bath features a luxury whirlpool. Business meetings are served in 20,000 square feet of flexible conference space with built-in AV equipment and reliable internet and cell phone service. Mountain View specializes in storybook weddings in the domed Crystal Ballroom with its famed hand-painted ceiling or the century-old gazebo on Grand Fountain Terrace. Mountain View Grand is 100% wind-powered and has been recognized as an Environmental Champion by the NH Lodging & Restaurant Association. The resort is a proud member of Historic Hotels of America. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain View Grand Resort And Spa
- Mountain View Grand Hotel Whitefield
- Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa White Mountains, NH - Whitefield