“BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER” 5 of 5 stars

Spring Special
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Everything was excellent at the hotel. Something for everyone. We stayed 4 nights. We are a family with 3 children aged 21,19,14.Noone wanted to leave after 4 nights, which is unusual. Highlights were spectacular views, nice golf course, Miss Baker and Ax throwing were so fun, the fitness center is very nice, playing checkers on the Veranda in the afternoon sipping a nice cool drink..... Very welcoming and down to earth, friendly staff. Free morning coffee and complimentary newspaper. Clean and charming. I can't say enough.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Helen L,

Thank you for the review! The Mountain View Grand is the perfect place for families and it was great that you and your family were able to enjoy your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
wantagh ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

All members of our family of five loved our visit last week to the MVG resort. The historic hotel is well run, beautifully maintained and we found all of the staff to be very helpful and attentive. Our 10 & 14 year old boys enjoyed the outdoor chess set & looked forward to spending time playing ping pong, foosball, or any of the board games each night.They had no interest in playing with their electronics while staying at the hotel, which says a lot to me! Wish the indoor pool was open later, we are more of a night crowd, but worked out ok by swimming after dinner & then going to the game room later. My littlest one took an interest in learning chess since there were plenty of boards to play with in the game room. We all enjoyed farm tour, & watched the axe throwing for a bit. Would love to go back again for another family trip. Wish we had more time to spend in NH but glad we went for 4 nights. One suggestion for hotel would be a small place to grab a quick coffee/tea in afternoon/evening. Loved the hotel & location; mountain view(plus porch telescope for viewing) on the never ending porch was always a stopping point for all of us each day. Classic hotel in beautiful surrounding area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear tarajoan,

It's great that you and your family enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking the time to review and share your experience with us. Your review is appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Valley Stream, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is our second time visiting the resort and we enjoyed it even more this time!

One night at the resort, we ate dinner in the main dining area. My son had a toy pumpkin with him - our waitress, Melissa, made conversation with him about pumpkins and offered him a pumpkin from her very own garden. Of course, my son said that he would love a pumpkin. Sure enough, true to her word, she brought him a huge pumpkin the very next day. You should have seen the look on his face! He was so excited! We were so touched by Melissa's kindness and willingness to go above and beyond to make a little kid smile. Thank you sooooooo much!!

I feel like the whole staff at the resort is always so kind and helpful.

We thank you so much :)))

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear CDavis112,

Thank you for your review. Our staff strives to make sure our guest's have an enjoyable and unique experience, and we're glad this was the case for your family. Your kind words about Melissa and the rest of the staff are appreciated and have been shared. We hope to welcome you back in the future for your third visit.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

the view from the large porch is to die for and the setting that offers a better than 180 degree view of the mountains quite breathtaking. It was a lovely day and we stopped to relax and have beer, wine and the best ginger beer (3 of us) after enjoying a stroll around the property and visiting the barn with the llamas, sheep, alpacas and angora bunnies.

It was day to remember and can only imagine what it might be like to actually overnight there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Marion W,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We're glad you enjoyed the day you spent with us and we hope to welcome you back as an overnight guest in the future.

New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had a great time at the Mountain View Grand Resort and Spa this August for a week long doctoral residency! The entire atmosphere of the resort was perfect. The views were incredible. A highlight for sure was ax throwing with Ms. Baker. Great Fun!! We laughed so hard. I will definitely be back for a personal visit.

Room Tip: The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear memorykeeper,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about Ms. Baker. Your comments are appreciated and have been shared. We look forward to welcoming you in the future for a personal visit!

natick, ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I certainly agree that the overall property and views are stunning. This is a great place for rest and relaxation. The front porch is the hotel's greatest asset, but also the great hiking/walking trails, outdoor pool, and mountain setting. The other assets have been documented, so I'm going to focus on areas for improvement.

My number one concern about this property is customer service, or lack thereof. On our first evening at the hotel, we took our 11-month-old daughter to the playground and put her on the baby swing. The swing broke while she was swinging. She fell to the ground, face was bleeding, she was screaming. Fortunately, we got some help from another hotel guest, since the hotel staff did very little for us. Considering this could be a HUGE liability for them, I was surprised that we didn't even get an apology for their defunct equipment. When I told the manager on duty about it at the front desk, she just stood there and looked at me and said, "well, I guess we should fill out an accident report." After filling out the accident report, there was no follow-up by the hotel staff until my wife went to them 24 hours later and asked what was going on. Then, several hours later, we finally got a call saying that the hotel's insurance had been notified, in case we needed to go to the doctor. And that was it.

There were several smaller issues having to do with the dining experience. I also mentioned this to the front desk - as did several other guests - and, again, we received no apology. Just blank looks and then one of the employees said "Yes, we hear that a lot." So, what are you going to do about it? Again, no apology. Apologies go a long way.

The food is tired and bland but, moreover, the service is incredibly slow. If you ask for a condiment or extra napkin, be prepared to wait for a very long time. Also, there needs to be some more informal dining options for families, or even just a place to grab a coffee in the afternoon, or a quick snack, without having to sit down and be waited on (since it takes so long!)

There is also really poor communication among the staff. They overcharged us for something on our room service bill. We called to have it removed and were assured this would be done; however, when I checked out on our final day, the charge was still there. Another example is that I asked if we could check out 30 minutes late (at 11:30), since our baby was napping. The front desk said this was no problem, however, at 11 am, a cleaning person was in our room asking why we were still there, since she didn't have us down for a late check-out.

The staff would all benefit from some significant customer service training. I feel if you solved this issue - and upgraded the food quality and variety - this place would be a homerun.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
With all due respect, this situation has not been accurately described and warrants further clarification.

I am very sorry the child was injured during a recent stay. The safety of our guests and employees is our first priority.

The resort playground is located directly adjacent to the children’s activity center. The playground and center are the hub of all family activities. The center is staffed from 7:00AM to 8:00PM. A safety inspection of the playground is conducted and documented daily. Guests use the playground at their own discretion.

The swing set has three swings each a different type – an infant swing with a solid plastic seat and a “T” in the front to prevent small children from falling out, a toddler swing with a strap and clip and a regular flexible plastic swing. The guest placed the 11-month old child in the toddler swing.

At 4:55PM on August 12th, the guest came into the activities center with their small child crying. Joe Cassidy, James Alexander and Matt Cook, our activities counselors, tended to the child’s needs by providing first aid with an ice pack, sterilizing cream and band-aids. The guest claimed that the swing had malfunctioned. Joe Cassidy inspected the swing and found it to be working properly. The connections to the swing were secure, the belt in place and the belt clip working properly. As a safety precaution, he removed the swing until his immediate supervisor inspected it. Later that evening the counselors met the guests and child at our nightly campfire. They inquired how the child was doing. The guest responded by saying the child was doing well and thanked them for their help. The following day the swing was inspected and found to be working properly. It was photographed and reinstalled on the swing set.

At approximately 5:30PM, the father of the child came to the Front Desk and spoke with Sue Valliere, our Guest Relations Manager. She was told of the incident and completed an accident report. She inquired if there was anything additional she could provide. The guest asked for children’s Tylenol. Ms. Valliere sent a staff member to the next town to purchase the medication at a drug store. The Tylenol was then delivered to their guest room.

The following morning, the mother of the child spoke with Shelby Stetson, our Assistant Guest Relations Manager. She asked what she should do if the child needed medical attention. Ms. Stetson told her to attend to the child’s needs and to keep us informed if any additional treatment was needed. The guest departed the resort on the 15th.

Given the guest’s apparent feelings reflected in their review, I wish they had brought it to our attention during their stay. I am sure we would have alleviated their concern.

Canton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visit the MVG every August on our anniversary. We were married at the MVG in 2009 and all total this is our 8th visit. No doubt we will be back again!!

Reservation Staff
This didn’t go as well as in the past. The lack of a concierge was also a challenge when trying to coordinate wine cellar dining. Despite these challenges, overall experience was EXCEPTIONAL.

Front Desk Staff
Check-in was great. They were awesome. My son was teething (1 year old) and they had advil for him. Amazing.

Bell Staff
We had Curt at check-in. He was the first person to ever offer to valet our car MVG. Great guy and awesome service. Checkout we had an absolutely amazing experience too. He was a younger kid that was bell hopping on 8/9/13. He had short dirty blonde hair. Great service. Great energy. Awesome employee!

Rooms Accommodations
The move from our favorite room was a tough switch but we loved the heritage suite - waterfall suite. The view wasn't as great as we are used to with our normal room but the suite was awesome size and the condition was great. We absolutely loved the size and it worked well for us.

Wine Cellar
This is where I will gush with praise. The food, the location and the service were all truly amazing. Despite the challenges with getting our prix fix menu, Keith and the Chef made our night absolutely amazing. I've raved about Keith in the past and yet again I will sing his praises. He is the type of person that will be successful in any role that you put him into and at any company/profession. Keith would be a loss if he wasn't interacting with customers but I'm sure MVG has big plans for him. The food was great, Keith's wine pairings were perfect and the experience was truly exceptional. I don't want to be too corny with my comments but I feel there is a need to describe how important Keith is to this experience and how great he is at what he does. Maybe something like the Wine Cellar without Keith is like a bunch of Rocks in Franconia Notch without the Old Man. Keith makes the experience go from good/great to exceptional/memorable. Okay, that's probably enough....but I can say more if you'd like.

Tavern/Bar
This was probably the only other area (see reservations comment) where I thought there could be improvements. I asked about the omelets and why it was removed from the buffet and he didn't have a great answer. See prior write-ups about how taking away the omelet station was a disappointment but you could still order with the buffet. This year they took away the omelet option with the buffet entirely.
The other disappointment, see prior raves, was the removal of the Kid's buffet at dinner. This was great and for under 5 year olds it was free. This isn't a huge expense saving but when you have two kids under 5 that eat like birds, it is great to not waste money buying something for 5-8 bucks each. The disappointment is magnified because it was such an amazing addition and was a previous RAVE. Easier to never give something to someone then to give them something they love and then take it away.

Country Club Dining
Service great. Food good. Scallops were awesome. Grilled Cheese wasn’t great. Overall though, the food was good, location amazing and service excellent.

Weddings
I will still give this 5 stars since it was an amazing wedding venue from 4 years ago.

Activities and Kids Club
OMG - we don't have kids that are age-ready for the Kids Camp yet....BUT we were still completely wowed by Ms. Baker and her staff. See my prior comments about Keith and how great he is and how he makes MVG great. Ms. Baker is side-by-side with Keith. I'm sure that Chris sees them as great employees that have great potential. As a customer, I see them as what makes MVG special and what causes people to absolutely RAVE about the MVG. Ms. Baker coordinated a carnival day while we were there. This was FREE. It included face painting, jumpy house, water slides, cotton candy and many other items. This was great. Ms Baker has the most amazing energy level you will ever encounter and she LOVES her job. Ms. Baker epitomizes job satisfaction. Her energy and service is second to none -- well maybe to Keith. We will call it a tie. I believe Ms. Baker, Keith, Ms. Diego and Rachel are the longest tenured employees of MVG. I commend Chris for his ability to retain the absolute stars of MVG and build talent and complementary team members around his core stars.

Farm
Ms. Diego and staff are great. Sad to see the horses gone but I understand and very happy they found nice homes.

Wrap Up
I want to thank Chris and team for their generous welcome gift and also the chocolate covered strawberries on our anniversary. It feels so nice to be welcomed and to feel like we are home again -- even if it is just for a few days each year. This place is home to one of our most special memories and each year you make even more great memories ---- and memories for our children. Sammie (3 year old daughter) sees the big yellow hotel and says "WE got married there."

If you want more information or for me to elaborate on anything just give me a shout. We loved our stay and look forward to returning next year with baby #3 to celebrate anniversary #5.

Pre-trip Review - Posted prior to trip and re-posted with updated trip review.

The annual trip is booked and we are scheduled to arrive next week. This will be our 8th visit overall and our fourth anniversary visit. We were married in here in August of 2009, visited for our anniversary in 2010 with our newborn, 2011 again, 2012 with two year old and newborn and now 2013 with three year old, one year old and baby on board (December 2013 arrival). Next year will be a full-house, figuratively and literally.

Reservations are completed and we had to make a switch to a suite due to the space constraints of two toddlers. Very disappointing to leave our favorite rooms with incredible balconies and views and somewhat anxious to see what the Heritage Suite has in store for us. We know there is no balcony and hope the views are somewhat comparable but regardless, we have no other choice but to move to a suite.

Dinner reservations are booked for our anniversary and once again we are in the wine cellar. Due to our delays with finalizing our plans we were unable to get the nook in the cellar (see prior comments about popularity of this dinner venue) but we are still excited nonetheless. Also, looking forward to talking with the Fine Dining Director to plan our Prix Fix meal which has always been AMAZING. And of course, very excited to have our favorite person Keith as our great waiter for the evening (see prior reviews about how awesome he is).

All and all, very excited about the trip and look forward to seeing the hotel which we love and seeing the changes that Chris D and team have made. Somewhat anxious bout the move to the suite from our favorite rooms but I'm sure that will be fine. Hoping that someday we actually bump into Chris and can say hi but we have had the pleasure of meeting his wife many times. She does an amazing job running the farm.

More updates to come but wanted to send along a preview of our upcoming trip!!

Paul

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for another considerate review! We are all happy to hear that your 8th stay with us was enjoyable for all and that you will be back again in the future. Thank you for all your kind remarks about the resort and its staff. Your comments have been shared. We look forward to welcoming you for your 9th visit.

Managing Director

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!