Our family spent 5 days over New Years at MVG. We especially enjoyed the indoor pool, the movie theater, and the breakfast buffet in the morning. We found most of the staff friendly and accommodating. Jessica was particularly nice when checking in, even though she was busy. Both Tom and Troy spent extra time talking with our son and us about the area.
Our room had a good view (although the windows were too frosted to see much most of the time). The beds were firm (perhaps too firm for some). The housekeeping was inconsistent (nonexistent one day). The turndown service was lack-luster. Perhaps the cleaning staff was overworked due to the high occupancy.
In the mornings they offered complimentary coffee, cocoa, and cookies until 11 AM. Their coffee is excellent. The workout facility was clean, had great equipment, and wonderful views.
There was no snow the weekend we were there. The hotel did not add additional activities to compensate. It would have been nice to have extended campfire hours and bigger campfires with natural wood (vs. pre-treated lumber and waste wood).
The theme night was fun for the family. The buffet dinner was nothing special, but we appreciated having a dining option that was kid friendly.
The candy canes at the front desk were a nice touch for the kids. The kids especially enjoyed the game room and the movie theater.
Overall, we would recommend the hotel, assuming the service level improves at lower occupancy rates.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Founded in 1865 and set on 1,700 acres with sweeping views of the White Mountains, Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa is New England's premier historic mountain resort. It was the only resort or hotel in the state to earn AAA Four Diamond awards in both Lodging and Dining for since 2008. With stellar dining choices from the gourmet selections in the wine cellar to casual meals in the Tavern or spectacular views at the seasonal Club House and Veranda, guests find a style and price to fit their mood. With a full-time Activities Department and complimentary children's programs, guests enjoy hiking, kayaking, biking, indoor and outdoor pools, a health and wellness center, golf on the resort's historic course, and four Classic Clay tennis courts. In winter, it's time for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snow tubing, ice skating, snowmobiling, and dog sled adventures. Mountain View also provides the opportunity to choose from over 500 movie selections in the in-house movie theater. Mountain View Farm features friendly animals at the Big Red Barn. Evening activities include marshmallow toasting over an open campfire. Conde Nast Traveler named Mountain View one of North America's top five resort spas for 2008. There are great views high in the landmark Tower Spa, with an infinity-edge Sok tub and side-by-side massages a specialty. The Presidential Suite has spectacular vistas, a private wet bar, fireplace, flat-screen TVs, hand-painted furniture, and a lovely dining area with French doors. The elegant master bedroom has a king-size bed and cozy window nook while the master bath features a luxury whirlpool. Business meetings are served in 20,000 square feet of flexible conference space with built-in AV equipment and reliable internet and cell phone service. Mountain View specializes in storybook weddings in the domed Crystal Ballroom with its famed hand-painted ceiling or the century-old gazebo on Grand Fountain Terrace. Mountain View Grand is 100% wind-powered and has been recognized as an Environmental Champion by the NH Lodging & Restaurant Association. The resort is a proud member of Historic Hotels of America. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain View Grand Resort And Spa
- Mountain View Grand Hotel Whitefield
- Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa White Mountains, NH - Whitefield