“Left wondering what we missed when choosing a place to stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Half Moon Motel & Cottages

You added Half Moon Motel & Cottages to your Saves list
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   28 Tower St, PO Box 5183, Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH 03247   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Weirs Beach
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Left wondering what we missed when choosing a place to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The particular cottage we stayed in was outdated. Carpet seemed as if was cut with a box cutter along the cottages flooring perimeter. The thing that completely turned us off and made our skin crawl was that my wife found an insect under a bed pillow that she quickly killed. My mother at the point wanted to sleep out of the front "screened" porch. The front screen door had such a big tear in it along the border that anything could've gone through it. I would suggest that the owners do some major updating to the cottage. The early 80's brown a/c unit made me even reluctant to turn it on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
tower28, Owner at Half Moon Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
We tried and tried but were unable to please this customer. We completely changed the entire bedding, promptly repaired the screen door, and offered to move the customer to a more recently renovated cottage, but were declined.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

There is a 1950s feel to this property which is probably when it had its last major refurb. The room was a little cramped, especially the bathroom, and while a little dowdy by modern standards it was clean. The view from the shared balcony over the lake is superb and the lake itself is really beautiful. My wife would have liked a hairdryer in the room. I would have liked doors that felt a little more secure when locked. While we didn't get to swim in the pool it looked nice. A basic, functional base for a stay in Weirs Beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Motel rooms, which were designed and built in the 1960's, retain a retro feel, but they have been recently renovated with new furniture, carpeting and fixtures.

Hairdryers are available by request, by asking our housekeeping staff or at the office.
Middletown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I stay every summer at the Half Moon Motel & Cottages. The small cabin is perfect for two, and you cannot beat he view of the lake! The cleaning crew is quick and thorough and always willing to give extra towels. The location is excellent and you can WALK to restaurants, Cumberland Farms, restaurants, Pizza, Ice Cream, bars, arcades, a few shops, the BEACH and boat cruises.

The Hotel Clerk, Beverly, is a down-home gal that treats you like family! The pool is a good size, and you cannot beat the location, Location, LOCATION!

Room Tip: We like the small cabins!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Casco, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

This isn't my first time staying here. Over the years we have probably stayed here a dozen times. But this time was our last visit for a long time.
We were staying in a cabin. The cabin was a basic cabin. Bed was comfortable. Kitchenette was great for basic food prep. But, what my 8 year old found under the bed was so upsetting--a pill and a lighter. Thank God she knew to give it to us and thank God it wasn't my 3 year old who found it. The next morning she found another pill! ;(. We thought we had found everything. I did tell the manager/owner immediately and in her defense she offered to go up and have the room recleaned and told me she would have a serious conversation with the cleaning personnel and I am sure it won't happen again. For me, it was a too upsetting experience. The pool is great for kids and adults who can already swim. Toddlers and young children might need life jacket. The view is amazing. I have been coming to the Weirs Beach area since the early 80's and have fond--very fond memories. But this year we felt really out of place. It doesn't seem like the boardwalk (after dark) really caters to families anymore--even with their arcades. There was a very different vibe. We felt so uncomfortable we went home before it got too late. We will come back to ride the Mt. Washington and go to the beach. We love that beach!!! It looks like Half Moon has done some remodeling. We heard people talking about the awesome hotel rooms. Other people seemed to be happy. So if our daughter hadn't found that stuff, we would have had a basic, but good experience at the hotel. I would just pre-check my accommodations!

• Stayed July 2012
Easton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed on the first floor of the Motel. What a view. The motel is pretty basic, but the beds are comfortable. The a/c worked and the cleaning crew did an awesome job. I don't get the people who are complaining about this place. The money that I paid was well worth it. The pool is awesome and the location is one of the best on the strip. You can get to most places in less than 5 minutes WALKING!!! I would stay here again and I can't wait to book again. OH yea one other thing, the Naswa is a rip off. My buddy's stayed there and the Place is a rip off. What they paid for a 2 bedroom For one night is what I paid for the 3 nights that I stayed at the Half Moon.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I've visited Weirs Beach almost every summer since I was a child. The Half Moon Motel and Cottages are the only place we stay. The location is convenient, the cottages and motel rooms and clean and spacious, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Plus the view is amazing! Truly a restful and enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: Request a cottage behind the motel - the view is spectacular!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We went to the Weirs on June 9th and decided to stay the night instead of driving home after a few beers. This place charged us $250 for ONE NIGHT for an OLD RUNDOWN room! The carpets, furniture, bathroom....oh heck everything was so old and not very clean. We won't ever ever ever go there again!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Half Moon Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
This couple stayed on a Saturday night during bike week. This is one of the busiest nights of our entire season and special rates were in effect.

Our Motel rooms have been recently renovated with new carpets and furniture. We're sorry this customer was not happy with their room, but we were not informed of this until after their departure. We wish customers would let us know right away when they are not satisfied, for perhaps a different room would have suited them better. We always try our best to accommodate our customer's wishes.

Been to Half Moon Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!