“You can get plenty for your money here” 4 of 5 stars

You added Snowy Owl Inn to your Saves list
Snowy Owl Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Village Road, Waterville Valley, NH 03215   |
New Hampshire, USA
“You can get plenty for your money here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We travel once a year to Waterville Valley and always check the Snowy Owl website first. By booking in advance and paying up front you can get some really great rates. The hotel rooms are comfortable but basic. As other reviewers have mentioned the TV's are old, the towels are a bit scratchy and the continental breakfast is minimal. But think of the great positives: comfy lounges with books to borrow and cupboards full of games and puzzles, location so close to Waterville town square that kids can walk back and forth independently at a fairly young age, fridges in every room. During my recent stay we had fun in the lounge watching the World Cup soccer matches with an international group of guests as the Inn staff brought out the daily wine and cheese snack - lots of spirit there!
A few acts of customer service stick out: my family was in a kitchenette and my parents, who were staying slightly different dates, were in a regular room. The staff worked hard to get us close together. One day by mistake we left out the "Do Not Disturb" sign instead of the "Make Up Room Now" sign. When we returned to the hotel the cleaning staff had left a note saying they had not entered our room but that they would come back to clean if we notified the front desk. They were true to their word. Finally, at one point I started a very large puzzle and later the hotel needed the table it was on for the wine and cheese. Rather than sweep my carefully laid out pieces into the box they painstakingly moved it to another table nearby. Overall I felt very well cared for during my stay.
Traveling tip: The Snowy Owl does have pet friendly rooms and it was fun to see the various dogs. All of them were cute and well behaved.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed in kitchenette suite, Check-in and check-out is easy, free wi-fi, conveniently located next to town square that is the only advantage. You carry your own vacuum cleaner, brushes to clean sink because they don't clean or vacuum, if u leave anything in kitchen sink other hotels house cleaning will clean everything, these guys forget kitchen didn't even clean bathroom sink, zero rating for house cleaning. spring mattress is worst than water bed, as it is place is outdated,dusty, dirty, mold in the windows, what not they have everything that is needed to turn away guests, in addition to that false fire alarm, and one more thing 20 inch tube TV, they need to get a real TV, But at least if they keep rooms clean and provide good house cleaning you can stay for 1 or 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have stayed at the Snowy Owl Inn many times and are always very pleased. This time we upgraded to a room with a king size bed and it was very comfortable, It is not luxury but that's not what we are looking for. We were only there for one night and the room worked fine. The surprise was the the big hot tub in the bathroom along with a separate shower. The only problem was there were not enough towels provided and the ones provided were old and outdated. The only other issue that needs to be addressed is the TV is very outdated and needs to be upgraded to high def. I'm sure they have heard this complaint many times. They do have a free continental breakfast but they also have a breakfast buffet that is $13.95 per person if you want more. Overall, the hotel is more than adequate for a short stay and worth the $170 dollars which included the tax.

Room Tip: Certain rooms have king beds and hot tubs if you like that kind of thing. Our room was $150 per nigh...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hancock, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here for a conference that was held in the same building. The rooms were comfortable, while small. I had a hard time finding coffee in the morning which was distressing but the cook in the kitchen gave me some. The conference was held downstairs and to be honest I felt it was really tight quarters. The noise in the common area was distracting when the conference was going on. The luncheon was very good. The service was good as well, but, I felt again that we were overstuffed in the luncheon room. Other than that I found it to be a nice Inn.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband, age 79 and I, 69, made reservations on Expedia for 2 nights in June to attend a family reunion in Tamworth. Expedia claimed the hotel was 12 miles from Tamworth. Policy stated reservations were non-refundable, but this didn't appear to be a problem, place looked good, and close enough that we wouldn't have to drive after dark, as night vision is not good for either of us. When I called my family member in Tamworth, she told me the inn was 45 miles, not 12. When I explained the problem to the inn, I was told it wasn't up to them; the decision was Expedia's whether to refund our reservation deposit. Expedia said it was up to the Snowy Owl. I have spoken to Gen. Mgr. Steve Hodges, who denied all responsibility and claimed not to know the contents of the Expedia site. He said I had entered into a contractual relationship with Expedia and there was nothing he could do. Didn't he enter into the same kind of relationship with Expedia when he agreed to list with them? At the least, He should be concerned that false information is being presented about his business. I feel like a victim of the old "bait and switch" tactic. I have sent him a certified letter and am awaiting his reply before I take the next step.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The Hotel website draws a great image of the hotel, however, reality is quite different. The hotel is outdated, service is quite low, reception personnel is bored, rooms are smelly, beds are uncomfortable and no window curtains (just flimsy and very cheap venitian "blinds" that are so thin that by 5 o'clock the room is very bright). When we checked in we had to pay for the whole stay upfront; It should have sounded an alarm. We asked the receptionist about activities in the area, she answered with a nice smile: go to the market place, the information desk will give you all the information you need. We went to the market place, we found it 80% closed and nobody at the information desk.
The hotel offers a limited continental breakfast, and limited it is "coffee, juice, donuts and muffins" and not necessarily fresh, picture attached. I understand that in hotels where there is a low occupancy spoilage is a major concern, there are solutions to this: I stayed also at a hotel in Stowe, Vermont where they offer a full breakfast included in the room rate and to reduce spoilage, they prepare eggs and other entrees to order. The AC unit as well as the tiny fridge in the room are very noisy.
The Waterville Valley area seems to be busy during the ski season, and quite deserted Summer time except weekends. Come Sunday evening, the area looks quite deserted and most restaurants close Sunday afternoon to Wednesday.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Blackstone, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I had an awful time finding a place to stay during this past motorcycle weekend at Laconia (June 2014). We were blessed to have found one of the best for a decent price. Some on this site have quoted that the look is dated - from the outside, that may be true. However, on the inside we were greeted by a décor that is expected in the White Mountains - a lot of bare wood (which was beautiful) and a friendly staff. The day we were there, the owner was also present and was very kind and helpful. We stayed in the executive suite (big round picture window in the front of the hotel). The room was clean, inviting and oh so comfortable. The room was near soundproof and sleep came easily. Standard continental breakfast - we opted for the pay version ($13 pp w/tax and tip included). We found the food to be fresh, delicious and the wait staff to be prompt and helpful. All in all an excellent stay to which my lovely wife stated that we must return to this retreat - SOON! Thank you Snowy Owl!

Room Tip: Executive suite was worth the extra $. Wonderful room. Quiet and comfortable!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Snowy Owl Inn? Share your experiences!