“Hockey Tourney” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
“Hockey Tourney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Everything you need for weekend hockey tourney stay. Pool was cool. Two floor condo on the fifth floor is perfect for knee hockey upstairs, parents downstairs. Tvs could be updated. Haven't seen a Murphy bed since the 3 stooges but worked out great.

• Stayed February 2013
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I'm glad to hear that we could meet all your needs. Thank you for your feedback regarding the TVs. We are in the process of continued upgrades and TVs are at the top of the list. I always get a kick out of the Murphy beds too. They're throwback in concept but really comfortable and fun.

We hope you see here up here again soon. Please let me know if we can assist you in the future.

Matt Hesser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Duxbury, Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Fantastic, Friendly service. Comfortable, Clean and Courteous. Great for young teen and pre-teens. We arrived mid week and the desk was very accommodating. Use to dealing with lots of kids. Fireplace was warm and inviting. Lots of extra sitting space outside of your room to sit, relax and read or chat with family and friends. Fully serviced kitchen with dishwasher, made feeding the 7 children I had with me a snap! Great for traveling on a budget. Rooms were not fancy but comfortable and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I'm thrilled to hear everyone had such a great time and that we were able to meet so many of your needs. We love having families at the Black Bear Lodge. It's a great place to unwind and have fun.

I hope we soon again soon. Summer is also an amazing time to get out and play up here in the Valley!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The indoor outdoor pool was fantastic, it kept my teenagers as well as my young kids entertained. The staff was more than accommodating when the hockey team met in the lobby for a meeting, I highly recommend it to anyone with or without kids. Ill be sure to be back! :)

• Stayed February 2013
I'm so glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your experience at the Black Bear Lodge and that the kids had fun. Waterville Valley as a whole is a great family destination. We'll look forward to your return!

Waterford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Let me fist start by saying that I much prefer staying in chain hotels where I know that there is a certain quality standard. However, there a very few chain hotels near ski resorts, so we had to go out of our comfort zone and stay in a non chain hotel in order to be close to waterville valley ski resort. We stayed in a deluxe room, which is a condo-like room with 1 bedroom, and a separate living, kitchen space. In the bedroom was 1 queen bed(we were told king) and 1 twin bed, with a twin trundle (so two twin beds.) there was an accordion room divider (which was broken) between the queen bed and the twin beds. When the trundle is open, the bathroom door is blocked and cannot be accessed from the bedroom, you have to go around through the living room. The living room is spacious, but the furniture is uncomfortable. the couches have hard wooden sides, so definitely not a couch to lay and lounge on, or sleep on. The kitchen had the essentials if you we're planning to dine in, but we did not really use the kitchen except to make coffee ( and you'll need to, because the coffee in the lobby is worse than any gas station coffee you may have had.) They do have a kuerig machine in the lobby and you can buy kcups. The hot tub was broken, we did not use the pool which was small, or the sauna. We did spot a small workout room, but did not use that either. There was a girls hockey tournament nearby, so the hotel was loaded with teenage girls that ran the halls until midnight one night, which was a drag. No daily housekeeping except for a bag of clean towels that is left at your door daily.

Now for the bright side....it is close to the ski resort; within a very short walk to town square which has shopping, restaurants and the skating rink. The price was very reasonable and included free shuttle transportation to the ski resort, and admission to the ice rink. The staff were very friendly. There were ski lockers downstairs to store your stuff, and plenty of storage in the room. The kitchen is small, but the ding table is large enough for 4-6 people to enjoy a meal, play a game or hold all your gear. It was clean.
Friends of ours were staying at a nearby chain hotel and we had a chance to see compare rooms. I have to say, their accommodations were nicer, and less expensive. However, they were not within walking distance of anything and did not have free shuttle service, and they only had double beds.

I don't think I would stay there again, unless I was bringing my kids hockey team. Not horrible, but not wonderful. It's a good place to crash if your not looking for too many creature comforts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am truly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. I'm so sorry that you did not receive a room with a king bed as you requested. I have looked into why you did not receive the room you originally requested and have remedied they system. Thank you so much for letting us know. It sounds like unfortunately you stayed in a room which had not been updated yet. I understand your appeal to chain hotels and their consistancy. With our new updates we are working strongly to address those guest concerns. You're review also spurred me to up the priorty of changing our coffee and have recently partnered with a local coffee roaster which should be in place soon. We do offer daily housekeeping service to all units. The only time that we leave a bag of clean towels is if we see a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. We are also in the process of adapting that system too to be more attentive to guest needs. Again, I apologize for your experience here at the Black Bear Lodge and would love the opportunity to discuss it with you further if you wouldn't mind calling me sometime. I would love the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Billerica, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our second stay at BBL. We brought my mother-in-law up from FL for her 90th birthday the first week of October. She loves the mountains and never gets to see the fall foliage, and Black Bear Lodge was the perfect place to for a quiet getaway. We rented a condo for a week and "Charlie" made sure we had a great view for the special occasion. The lodge is nestled between the mountains, just far enough away from the heart of the resort for peace and quiet, but close enough to the convenience to walk or take the free shuttle. The resort has dining that ranges from take out to white table linens. There is shopping, a spa, and a small lake for kayaking or canoeing and swimming. We spent a rainy day just relaxing in the condo and cooking meals together. The lodge has an indoor/outdoor pool and we used the workout facility. There is no restaurant in the building, but the kitchen is fully equipped, and there is a general store in the resort.
We have already recommended Black Bear Lodge to others. Next visit, we hope to see a moose!

Room Tip: The best views are in the back (north) side, facing the mountains. The higher the floor, the better...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Susanne,
Thank you so much choosing the Black Bear Lodge for your special weekend and for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our lodge as well as all that Waterville Valley has to offer. It really is a special place.

We'll look forward to your next visit. Be sure to ask for me so I can assist you with a moose adventure next time. They truly are a spectacular site.

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just came back from a wonderful trip to the valley. The Black Bear Lodge was friendly, the room was clean and spacious. I have 3 children under 10 but our 2 bedroom condo had more than enough space for everyone to relax after skiing. The condo owner was well stocked with children's games. My oldest son was thrilled to find the owners had the entire series of Star Wars movies. The pool was great fun. The only thing that could have made it any better is if the dog could have come too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Jenn,
Thank you for sharing your experience in the Valley with us. I'm so glad to hear your family enjoyed the Black Bear Lodge so much and that your condo met all your needs. I'm sorry we are unable to accommodate pets. Thank you for understanding. We'll look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if we can be of further service for your next trip.

Hyannis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We enjoyed staying at Black Bear Lodge. The room was very spacious and cozy. The lodge is located right next to waterville valley town square. They offer a discount on lift tickets with an option to also use the sports complex. Perfect for a quiet calm weekend away.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Heather,
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Black Bear Lodge. It sounds like you were able to get out and enjoy many of the services in Waterville Valley. I hope you are able to come visit us again soon. Please don't hesitate to let us know how we can be of further service to you in the coming future.

Matt Hesser

Been to Black Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!