“If your kids are all about the pool, then this is definitely the place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moose Hillock Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warren
Moose Hillock Campground
You added Moose Hillock Campground to your Saves list
96 Batchelder Park Road, Warren, NH 03279   |
Middleton, Massachusetts
“If your kids are all about the pool, then this is definitely the place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I was prepared to be disappointed because website pics are usually over-exaggerated. But this pool is truly amazing. It it huge, and the temp is perfect. The 2 slides kept the kids, (ages 4 and 7), busy for hours and hours, literally. We camped over Labor Day weekend which is the busiest time, and the pool never seemed crowded because it's so large. We were planning on a daytrip and hiking, but the kids never wanted to leave the pool. There are ample lounge chairs around the pool, and you feel like you're in a resort. The playground is also really nice with plenty of things to climb on, and a lot of kids to meet and make friends. There is a small river running around the camp that has nice rocks and natural pools to explore. Again, the kids loved it. I cannot vouch for how teenagers would like the place, given that there is NO cell service on any carrier for approximately 6 miles! No texting, no calls. You can get wifi by the snack bar to check emails and go online. Payphone only people! But it only cost 50 cents to make a call to Massachusetts. As with any campground, some sites are well located, and others are not. We happened to get the best/largest/most secluded one, but all the sites are bigger than any other campground we've visited. The Saturday night show was fabulous, but again, it's good clean family entertainment. (They handed us a pamphlet upon checkin with the map, etc, and it was a Christian pamphlet, but that's the only sign of it being a Christian campsite. The people staying here are just regular people, not religious zealots of any kind, so don't worry about it.) Campground bathrooms always skeeve me out no matter where I stay, and these were no exception. Dated, and smelly, but they're all that way to me. However, they do spend a lot of time cleaning them throughout the day. If you have young kids, this is definitely the place to stay, and we all agreed on the way home that we'll camp here again next year. Buy firewood on your way in, people are selling it in their yards all along the way, because it's $2 a bundle, versus $5 at the site. There are no grocery stores, so make sure you're supplied before you get there. There are small convenience stores about 10 minutes away if you need to run out.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lowell, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This campground should advertise that they only want religous non drinkers here. The owner is extremley mean and will throw you out if you make any noise after 10:00pm I am almost 50 years old and I find this to be ridicoulus for the $$$$$$ I spent to stay there.Like I said if you want religion shoved down your face and you don't like to have a couple cocktails this is the place for you.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

2nd year back, stayed 3 nights in a tent this year. Family had a great time. Campground was clean and well maintained. Just a great place for family camping and "unplugging" from daily life. We will be back again next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Groveland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

ALL of the sites are good. Pool/slide was excellent. We did not leave the campground for the whole five days. Everything is here. Staff and owners were very nice and helpful. The Chapel service was excellent. Very quiet place. Our boys (5 and 8) had so much fun. Cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: all sites are good
Derry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have to say that the review by KKrantz is way out of line. Sounds to me that you need to be in a hotel/motel and not camping when on vacation.
This is our favorite campground and go year after year. If you want to be in the "real" world this is no place for you. Campground is totally isolated which is what we like best. In the middle of now where to get away from it all. If you want a lot of lighting, go to the city.
Camp sites are huge and private. You are not packed in like sardines! We just vacationed here back in July and are going again in a week for 4 nights. Our boys are 7 & 8 and find plenty to do there without having to text or make phone calls. We're camping as a family. Moosehillock is the best campground in New England!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Central Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My family (me, my husband, our seven-year old daughter) stayed here for five nights in August 2011. Overall, we had an okay experience. Not sure if we would return or not.

The Good:

The sites were EXCELLENT. Virtually every site was HUGE, level, and secluded - this is definitely not one of those RV parks where you're crammed in like sardines. Plenty of space to spread out.

The pool was fantastic. We all enjoyed the pool and slides, and appreciated the fact that there were so many lounge chairs available, and lots of space to spread out.

Playground equipment was very nice.

Proximity to White Mountains attractions.

The Bad:

This is a family owned campground, and while overall it was kept up nicely, the one main problem we had was their insistence upon pushing their religious beliefs on their customers. Upon check-in, campers are handed a pamphlet about finding God. The campground also aggressively touts its worship service. And their religious beliefs also extend to teetotalism: quoting verbatim from their rules, which are posted online: "4) ALCOHOL AND DRUGS: If you must consume an alcoholic beverage, it has to be done AT YOUR CAMPSITE... Anyone found with alcohol anywhere in the campground except their campsite, will immediately be removed from the campground with a police escort! NO EXCEPTIONS!" I find this to be excessive, and ridiculous. Not to mention, I bristle when anyone tries to shove their religious beliefs down my throat!!!

They do not have any recycling facilities available (which appears to be at odds with their religious fundamentalism - I would think that God wants us to save the Earth, right?). So, we were stuck hauling a bag of recyclables home to Vermont with us, as the thought of throwing away plastic bottles makes this tree-hugger very queasy!

Their WiFi is extremely spotty, and available ONLY in a small radius around the camp store. NO cell signal for miles around the campground (this isn't their fault, but they could/should improve the WiFi access).

While we used the shower in our camper, so this didn't bother us personally, we did note that their showers were coin operated. I find that to be exceedingly cheap - if people are paying upwards of $50/night for a campsite, I would think a hot shower could be included in that fee. The restroom facilities also were very dated and dingy.

Entertainment was non-existent during our stay - with the exception of a LAME "Bruce the Moose Dance Party" on Wednesday night. Truly sad that such a large campground does not provide more frequent entertainment options for its guests.

The visitor fee is absolutely outrageous - $10/person/day. We learned this the hard way when my stepbrother and his wife and three kids, came up to have dinner with us - it cost them $50. Yes the kids cooled off in the pool for a bit before dinner and played in the arcade for a while after dinner - not sure how that is worth a $50 cost. Not a very good policy to attract future campers in any event!!

I would not really recommend this campground. While it's not the worst in the world it is really not worth the money they charge. We were disappointed, we expected more.

Bethlehem, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I feel sorry for anyone for decides to bring there family to this campground. It would be nice for someone who loves to completely escape from the world for sure, because modern ammenities are nowhere to be found. I do not understand how the other travelers on this website could give it such high views. The campground itself provided no activities or entertainment for myself or my little brother. Whereas other campsites provide hourly events, this place prided itself on the "tropical swimming pool". While I must admit the pirate ship waterslides were fun, I did not want to spend my entire vacation in the pool. There were those days when I only wanted to go on the internet and talk to my friends back home. However this was nearly impossible, because the only wireless connection was found by the pool, and on certain days you could hardly get on at all. Not to mention, even if I wanted to use my cell phone to contact them, for I had no cell service for atleast a 10 mile radius from the campground. Many of the other reviews on this site say that the facilities are overall clean. This is no longer true. I made a trip to community bathroom house number 4. However, im not sure which aspect skeeved me out the worst. It was probably the large black stain on the floor in front of the toilet, but if not that it was the overall disgusting odor upon entering. I could not have been more disgusted by the campground. Then came the food. The first night staying here, we decided to order from the snack bar by the pool. The food was incredibly overpriced and most of it didnt even taste good. The pizza was overspiced and we ended up throwing it away. Not to mention, there is an incredible lack of safety on the part of the camprgound. They close the pool at dark to try and avoid the situation, however there is absolutely no lighting over there, or by the pavailion area. You are placed at a campsite in the middle of nowhere. The only way to find your campsite coming back in the dark, is hoping that you brought a flashlight with you in the first place. It is incredibly unsafe for pedestrians walking home in the dark. I would never recommend this campground to any of my friends. Most likely, I would discourage anyone from ever staying here again. It has been officially the worst vacation of my summer, and after only my first day I had decided if there was any way for me to go home, I would have left.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Moose Hillock Campground? Share your experiences!