“Will be going back again and again” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   2 Keyser Street, PO Box 92, Sutton, NH 03260   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Sutton B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Will be going back again and again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I used to live in Buffalo, but have since moved to Boston. I have friends from Buffalo who called me up and suggested that my girlfriend and I meet them up in NH at this B&B for part of the weekend.

They have been going here for the past 10 years, and as my husband has just left the country on business for 6 months, I jumped at any plan to keep my mind off of being alone and missing him.

I have to say that I am not really sure why people would flood to the Cape when going North provides much less hassle, traffic, and tourists.

From the moment we pulled up I felt like we had arrived at a friend's house, not a completely strange place. We were last minute bookers for our rooms but Kathy and Dave were more than accomodating. It is such a quaint spot that's very secluded. It's not a busy area so it's really restful.

It's behind a church, and next door to a grave yard (which I really thought would creep me out, but it's a beautiful old graveyard with beautiful old headstones and it's a very nice place to walk in the morning) so it's quiet and with the lake a nice 3 mile or less walk, it's a little slice of heaven.

I love how there is no TV or clocks, so you do loose track of time in a good way, and you chat with the other people who are staying and just learn to relate to people again without the use of electronics.

One of the women who was there, was there with her two teenage boys and she told us that there was no one else around the night before and she was nervous that the boys would get bored, but she and the boys sat and talked the whole night and it was one of the best nights of her life.

That's what this place is about. Getting back in touch with humanity.

I love the quilts, and the beds are so comfortable. The breakfast was AMAZING!

When you go, you must ask Dave about his running with the bulls experiences.

I can't wait for my husband to come back so we can go together and meet up with our friends.

Thank you Kathy and Dave for a really great weekend!

Allison

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the inn during the end of April-begining of May. The owers made us feel real welcome. We were the only guests do the rain season. We were given a choice out of all of their lovely rooms to stay in. We took one on the top floor overlooking the lake. The inn and the area was picturesque. It reminded me of a place you would see in a romantic chic filck. The town is cute and filled with local people; so you are not in an overpriced tourist town. The home cooked breakfasts were wonderful. We spent alot of time talking to the owners at the bar. The stay was so nice we were sad to leave.
Their websight does not do the place justice. This is the perfect place for a quiet or romantic getaway.

• Liked — The location and service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

Had a wonderful 3 night stay at the Follansbee Inn in June 08. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes quiet, relaxing surroundings and with a warm welcome. We loved the historic building, the decor and the location right on the lakeside. We enjoyed use of canoes and tandam. Had some great conversations with inn keepers and other holiday makers. Lots of places to visit within easy driving. Lots of choices of restaurants. We went to the theatre in New London during our stay. Ignore any negative reviews. All the people we met there were very positive about their stay. Thinking back about our recent holiday its one of the locations I most think about - fantastic!

• Liked — Location and warmth of innkeepers.
  • Disliked — No air conditioning in our room.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My husband and I went to New Hampshire for a winter ski trip and stayed at the Follansbee Inn. Not only were the host and hostess the most fabulous, the accommodations were wonderful. Being there was magical........ besides skiing that was better than going out west.....we met some wonderful people, also staying at the Inn, that are going to be more than passing acquaintances. Our stay gave us a feeling of belonging.................

• Liked — The feeling of belonging
  • Disliked — There was nothing that was not pleasant.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

My boyfriend and I have visited the Inn many times, both in summer and winter and always look forward to it as a wonderful retreat. In winter, we ski nearby or hike in the state park next to the Inn and in the summer we use the lake, boats, and bikes, as well as hiking. We love Dave and Kathy's hospitality and spend lots of time in the common rooms and bar area enjoying the conversations they stir up and meeting other guests. Breakfast in the old-fashioned dining room overlooking the lake is always wonderful. In addition to Kathy's fantastic cooking, we love -- and look forward to -- the special granola Kathy and Dave make that is available before the hot breakfast comes out.

We usually pair a visit to the Follansbee with dinner at the Inn at Pleasant Lake nearby. The Inn at Pleasant Lake hosts a fantastic gourmet, five-course dinner several nights a week, prepared by the Inn-keeper. However, we stay at the Follansbee because of Dave and Kathy's hospitality and the comfortable charm of the Follansbee Inn.

• Liked — Great hospitaliity
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

We had stayed here with the previous owners in 1988 just for a night and always wanted to come back. I'm so glad we finally made it! Unlike many vacations where you have to spend a while settling in, at Follansbee you can get into a complete state of relaxation immediately. Drop your bags and the lake's right there. The hammock, which captured the nicest breeze I've ever felt, is right there. The dock, complete with kayaks and canoes, is right there. No need to rent anything or sign anything at all.
The Innkeepers sure look like they have the secret to enjoying life, even though they never seem to stop working. The rooms are cheery and pleasant, there are scads of old novels to read (and places indoors and out to read them) and the breakfasts are very tasty (though I wish they didn't plate them - too much waste since they give you some of everything.) Evenings are very sociable. The lake is the selling point though. Highly recommended.

• Liked — The lake with Kayaks
  • Disliked — I had to leave at the end of the vacation....
  • Tips/Secrets — Head straight to the lake
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

Just returned from my 4th stay at the Follansbee Inn in 3 years. As in the past, very much enjoyed my stay. I initially found the Follansbee 3 years ago, when searching for a B&B that was on a lake, offered a hot breakfast, within 1.5 hours from my MA home, and had private baths in guest rooms. Moreso, I want a place where I can get away from it all, disconnect from TV and the Internet, and just relax and enjoy. The Follansbee has all that and more. Innkeepers Cathy and Dave, now at the Follansbee for 7 years, go out of their way to be of service and advise you on sights to see and things to do in the area. In between my previous stay and my most recent stay, I've developed several food allergies. Cathy was extremely accommodating in cooking flavorful full breakfasts for me that I could eat. The lake is absolute heaven: beautiful, swim in it, kayak/canoe in it, meditate by it and/or walk around it. The ultimate peaceful get-away-from-it-all getaway, homey New England inn and surroundings, and fabulous hosts. I can't speak highly enough about it -- frequently recommend this inn to friends (who have gone and similarly enjoyed their stays) and am already planning a return trip for this fall. Will also note that every time I've been there, I meet fellow guests who've been coming to the Follansbee for generations, plus new 1st timers who swear they'll be back. The Follansbee does have quite a following!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Follansbee Inn? Share your experiences!