“Old world charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Sutton B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Old world charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2004

I am a woman who has traveled extensively all over the world and I am considered by many of my friends and family as some what of an "expert" regarding leisure travel. Clearly the people who have written some of the negative reviews on this site have not traveled far beyond a stay at a generic chain hotel. I recently stayed at the Follansbee Inn for four days, and had a wonderful time. The innkeepers, Dave & Cathy are pleasant, helpful people who have also traveled extensively and have very thoughtfully created a particular atmosphere at their inn. I had the advantage of being here during the week and was able to peek into several of the rooms when it was less busy than on a weekend. Every room has been redecorated in the last few years with beautiful quilts, and wonderful small touches that befit a country bedroom. My room was exceptionally clean, and was cleaned daily by their housekeeper. The common areas have decor that reflect an 1840's farmhouse, such as red and blue plaid sofas- almost all of it appeared new. The entire inn reminded me of my stays at bed & breakfasts in an old Tuscan farmhouse or the south of France. This is not Paris and Louis XVI furniture, but a country inn which has been preserved to reflect a more relaxing atmosphere. The food was great too--I really enjoyed the gingerbread waffles, the ham & cheese omelettes with potato pancakes and homemade applesauce as well as the buttermilk pancakes with a wild blueberry sauce (the blueberries were picked from the tiny island). The lake was spectacular and warm enough to swim in at any time of day.

My advice to the cranky people who have written less favorable reviews- If you want the antiseptic environment of a Sheraton Hotel go to one and soak up all free HBO you can handle. To the rest of you- If you want a country inn experience that will keep you visiting again and again try the Follansbee Inn. They have a great website at ------------. -Happy Travels!

• Stayed June 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

To those who read and trust the few negative reviews of the Follansbee Inn, you are making a huge mistake! I've stayed with Dave and Cathy on many occasions and consider the day I stumbled on this gem to be one of my luckiest! Yes, the lake and surrounding area is wonderful, but that's not why I go back. The lure of the Follansbee are the owners and thier wonderful Inn. Dave and Cathy are inviting to those who wish to laugh, share conversation or be left alone. The Inn is lovely, clean, quiet and very comfortable. As for the food, I love it and have heard other guest compliment Cathy and twist her arm for recipes. A previous reviewer complained about the lack of AC, but I can't remember a more relaxing night of sleep with the fresh summer air lofting through my window on the third floor. Give this Inn a try and you just might might find a home away from home as I have.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2004

I have to question the sanity of the people who have posted negative comments about this charming inn and its extraordinary innkeepers. Dave and Cathy create a welcoming, friendly atmosphere for all who come. And the Inn is simply marvelous. The rooms are beautifully appointed and comfortable and the setting is a perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life. I have never been more relaxed than when I stayed at the Follansbee Inn. I intend to return often to unwind and enjoy a beer by the fire with the most gracious innkeepers in New Hampshire.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2003

Add our names to the list of those who will not be coming back to this inn. Shabby and unappealing are the first words that come to mind. Yes, the outdoor surroundings (the lake) are lovely, but we're reviewing an inn here, not the locale. Our room didn't look especially clean, the bathroom "amenities" were negible, and the bath towels were awful (we use better ones to wash our car). As for breakfast, we've had better food at the local IHOP. Summing it all up...this "inn" is "out" with us.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2003

I would have to agree with the traveler from Westchester County, NY.
This inn is not at all inviting. The room was dusty. The sheets didn't fit properly and kept coming off the bed, making it a very uncomfortable night. There were no breakfast choices and what was served was not worth eating. Our hosts seemed disinterested in their guests. We will not return to the Follansbee and will miss the warm, cozy atmosphere that existed when it was run by the previous owners.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2003

We have just returned from a wonderful three days at this inn, and recommend it highly to others seeking a quiet, relaxed time in lovely, informal surroundings. The several dozen rooms are each unique and beautifully decorated. Ours was especially nice, on a corner with four windows overlooking the lake. The large common areas are furnished in a more informal style than the "sitting rooms" often found in B&B's, with comfortable couches, a piano, and a large selection of books and games.
Cathy and Dave Beard were accommodating and gracious hosts. We most loved the inn's private frontage on a gorgeous, peaceful small lake.
The inn provides free use of its kayaks, a canoe, and a paddleboat and offers a dock and float for swimming. We actually spent most of our daylight hours in and around the water, and loved that we didn't have to worry about renting boats or sharing the lake with hoards of other vacationers. We will definitely go back. One final note: We were puzzled by an earlier review which appeared to fault the current owners for the absence of air conditioning, since we believe that the inn has never had air conditioning. There were indeed lots of fans!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2003

As former guests of this inn a number of years ago when the Reinleins were the owners, we were dismayed to find how it had changed (and not for the better) under the present ownership. While the Beards were wonderfully caring and solicitous innkeepers, they couldn't make up for the fact that none of the rooms...not even the dining room or the common areas...were air conditioned. Ceiling fans and portable fans abounded during our brief stay on a humid day/night, and we were very uncomfortable with "blowing air" everywhere and no place to really cool off, even briefly. In addition, the furnishings of the common areas were very shabby and not well lit. Our room was dark with only two little lamps with low watt bulbs not doing much to brighten the drab furnishings. Breakfast was minimal and not too appealing. We left several days sooner than we had originally anticipated and decided we'd never go back there again.

Been to Follansbee Inn? Share your experiences!