“We really liked Sunapee but found the Burkehaven Lodge to be a disappointment for the price.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Burkehaven Lodge

179 Burkehaven Hill Road, Sunapee, NH 03782   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sunapee
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

While the room at the Burkehaven was comfortable, we found the breakfast to be a disappointment, particularly for the price and what we expected at a small motel. The owner provided some useful information on hiking and the public beach but was not at all friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

All I can say is that I wish I had read these reviews before booking our staff at this poor excuse for a hotel. The owners are the most miserable human beings I have ever met. Every poor review here is true and then some. We were there only a few hours when the owner came barging into our room claiming we were over the capacity of the room, although our group had rented out 3 of their rooms. Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. The situation was beyond belief - we packed up left.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

This may very well be a fine place to stay, despite the creepy photos on the web, but I didn't even get here b/c the owner and his family were not only incredibly rude, but rampantly incompetent with running a customer service oriented business. A booking mistake on their end led to them being exasperated with my negotiating, and canceling my entire reservation and hanging up on me! I am actually glad I did not need to subject any of my guests, for whom I was booking rooms, to their rude and exceedingly unprofessional behavior. There are plenty of other reasonable B&Bs in Sunapee with friendly management that deserve tourist business more that this place.

Stayed September 2008
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

This place should be avoided. They have no onsite help. The owner is rude. There is no Cove 300 feet away as they advertise. There are no fresh baked breads for their complimentary breakfast.
There is a jar with frozen English muffins filled with moisture and possibly mold for you to eat and a loaf of thawing store bought bread. This place is one misrepresentation after another.
It is dirty, outdated and overpriced!

Holden, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at the Burkehaven and I have to stay it more than met my expectations. We had to attend a wedding for the entire weekend at a nearby inn,and we found the hotel both convenient in location and possessing all of the necessary amenities:
1. Clean bathroom (small)
2. Large comfotable KIng sized bed
3. Large room with a nice cross breeze at night- 2 windows-
3. Adequate continental breakfast - juice, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, cereal
4.Extremely QUIET!! - which we really appreciated
5. Lovely in-ground pool

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

- The Pauls from Massachusetts

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — no tub
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Napa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

First of all, I have never met ruder owners of ANY establishment in my life. Wretched, horrible, miserable people. To give just one example: They wrongfully accused us of smoking in the room. The owners left a note on the door when we returned which read "Do not smoke in the rooms, we could smell smoke and you will be fined $100. If it happens again then we will call the Police." My wife and I are both lung doctors and have never smoked in our lives.

Second of all, and very importantly, the "lodge" is a cheap motel WITH NO A/C and it is not even close to Lake Sunapee. The aerial photograph makes it look close, but you cannot access the water. It's about a mile from the water's edge in reality. Houses are hidden by the picture angle.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — rude owners
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ma.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I am only writing to warn all you folks out there not to stay in this "lodge". the owner was out right rude and what I would call abusive. he did not allow our families to gather in the suite after we rented two other rooms to accommodate all of our families. He treated us like he was paying us for staying there not the other way around. I have never seen such a belligerent man running a business . Save yourself the heartache go elsewhere.
We loved Sunapee, it is such a shame that he is what we will remember most about our trip,

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — the owner
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Burkehaven Lodge? Share your experiences!