“As cute and lovely as its name suggests” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugar Hill
Sugar Hill Inn
You added Sugar Hill Inn to your Saves list
116 Route 117, Sugar Hill, NH 03586   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“As cute and lovely as its name suggests”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Highly recommended. The inn is just beautiful and the owners are lovely. Dinner was full when we stayed but the breakfast was just delicious as was the homebaked cookies on departure, lovely touch. Relatively expensive but worth every penny for a romantic escape to the stunning, snowy White Mountains

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at SHI for a two night stay over Thanksgiving weekend. We decided to stay in one of the higher end rooms (Richardson Suite) located off the library. We also included the dining package so that we could try the highly acclaimed restaurant for dinner.

As mentioned in the the title, the stay overall was very good. The room was spacious with a private porch and view out towards the pool. The king size bed was extremely comfortable as was the plush carpeting. The food at both breakfast and dinner was also most enjoyable.

On the other hand, there were also several points that fell below our expectations. When staying at a Select Registry property and paying top dollar for the room (posted rate of over $300 per night), I expect my expectations to at the very least be met if not exceeded. On this regard, it is my view that the Inn came up short on several points.

It appeared that only part of the bathroom had been upgraded otherwise how else to explain the small white plastic shower stall with outdated showerhead. In addition, the caulking around the tub needed to be redone (as mentioned in a previous review) and a big piece of paint chipped off the upper right hand corner above the shower.

While showing us to our room, we were told that the fireplace in the library would be turned down. We were also told to feel free to turn it up if we decided to spend time there but also to turn it down when we left. The same thing was told to us when we entered our room concerning the heat. Both the library and our room were quite cold when we entered each room. When we spent time in the library before dinner, we had to turn up the heat given how cold the room was at the time. I realize heating is expensive these days but I am not sure if the owners were being "green" or simply frugal.

With regard to frugal, we were also surprised that the amuse bouche at dinner (type of duck pate) was again served the following afternoon as the afternoon snack in the bar area. Was this simply a coincidence or leftovers from the night before?

When I made the reservation, I advised them that my wife and I would be celebrating our wedding anniversary. I made further mention of it in a follow up e-mail regarding another matter. We did notice that mention was made of our anniversary in the dinner reservation log located just outside the dining room. That being said, the innkeepers made no other mention of our anniversary during our entire stay. At the very least, I would have expected "we see you are celebrating an occasion...happy anniversary!" at check in.

In our folder in our room, information was provided regarding recommended sites and restaurants. The folder also made mention of "suggested" tipping. We have stayed at several high end bed and breakfasts and this was the first time we were advised to consider tipping both the server at breakfast and the person who cleaned our room. What we found especially odd was the suggestion that the tip for the person who cleaned our room should be commensurate with the size of the room.

This last point most probably has something to do with the age of the Inn and therefore nothing most probably can be done about it. That being said, it is my view that people who plan to stay in this room should be made aware of it. The issue I am referring to is the noise coming from the upstairs plumbing. Our room was located on the first floor and every time someone either took a shower or flushed the toilet upstairs, it was extremely obvious to us. Usually, hearing other guests use the facilities does not bother us but in this case it was extremely obvious when they were being used given the extent of the noise and therefore somewhat annoying.

Despite these issues, my wife and I still had a nice time during our brief getaway. Hopefully, the issues that I made mention of will be addressed by the innkeepers to make future stays even more pleasant for guests

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you so much for celebrating your anniversary with us. On any given weekend about 80% of our guests are celebrating a special occasion. Anniversaries, birthdays, engagements etc. are our specialty. At the Sugar Hill Inn we have everything needed to make an anniversary very special. The guest rooms at the Inn are designed with romance in mind. Many have fireplaces, whirlpool tubs for two, cozy love seats, Bose® cd players and great views. All of our rooms have soft sexy robes and chocolates.

The candle light dinner at the inn is perfect for romance and celebration. Our leisurely dinner, comfortable surroundings and great wine sets the perfect stage for those intimate conversations we so value.

Several romance packages can be selected to enhance your good time with flowers, champagne, chocolate truffles or cheese and fruit. Many partners call ahead with special instructions. We can also help you plan sleigh rides in winter and picnics in summer. You bring the spark we have the kindling.

Karen and I are very sensitive to the needs of our guests. Some are very social and want to engage us in conversation. That is great, we love the interaction. Others are here for a very private time together and we respect their privacy. Every night I am in the Tavern not just to make drinks and seat folks in the dining room but to be there for our guests. In the mornings, Karen can always be found either in the dining room or at the front desk. We are sorry if we did not correctly read this couples needs.

The Richardson Suite does not have a small plastic shower. Let me describe the room. The room is large (12’x7’) with attractive ceramic tiles. An oval whirlpool for two sits under a double window. We provide candles for those long soaks. Across from the tub is a standard size fiberglass shower that complements the whirlpool.

Our library with interesting books, games and travel information has a gas fireplace and we encourages guests to set the thermostat to their personal comfort level. While some might call me frugal because I lower the thermostat when the room is empty, most people see our generous side. We love giving out homemade cookies for the ride home, having out fresh fruit for the taking and having complementary bottled water, chocolates and coffee & espresso in our rooms. Don’t forget to come for “Small Bites” at 4pm. Many packages include a free happy hour cocktail. We are currently giving out free lift tickets.

While at any hospitality property noise between rooms may be an occasional problem, as I study our 135 Tripadvisor reviews and guest comment cards, this does not seem to be an issue for guests.

Maintenance is a continuous activity at the Sugar Hill Inn. We have our own maintenance person on staff. The two minor issues that were raised were fixed immediately upon their departure and before the writing of this review.

Thank you for your review and Merry Christmas.
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We recently had a girls' weekend in New Hampshire/Vermont and we picked the perfect place to stay. Clean, cozy, well decorated and charming. Great wine list. I cannot wait go back! Steve, the owner was very friendly and made the inn that much more inviting. It is the best B and B I have stayed at to date. There is so much beauty and things to do in the area and the inn fits right in. Great food and staff make it a memorable and trip worthy experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We found the inn very cozy and inviting. Our room was very clean, bed very comfortable. We were let down that there was not a TV, however, the CDs provided gave us a nice break away from the TV. A wonderful selection of teas and coffees were provided in the room. The staff was very helpful in offering dinner suggestions in the area and the dinner we had at the inn was delicious. The front desk was also very helpful in helping us plan out excursions.
The waiting dog on the back porch from the kitchen was so welcoming as we came through the back door. She ran to our room door to greet us upon our return. Beautiful fall setting.

Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed the Garden Cottage. That room was completely renovated in the spring of 2012. Everyone loves those Bose CD players.

Having a TV in your room is as easy as selecting a room with a TV. Traditionally romantic inns such as ours did not have in room TVs. Generally other activates are on the addenda and TV is a distraction. Most of our competitors do not have in room TV. We have taken a different approach. Half of our rooms have TV and half don’t. We have people who thank us for having rooms without TV. Even people who arrive concerned about TV tell us at checkout how relaxing it is with all of the electronics turned off. It’s your choice. The following rooms have TV; Dream, Richardson, Peckett, Moses, Bickford, Perennial and Wildflower. Our website clearly indicates whether a room has television.
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at Sugar Hill Inn in October 2012 as our base for exploring the White Mountains. After our previous very disppointing two night stay in Vermont, Sugar Hill Inn was a breath of fresh air. The welcome was warm, the bedroom (Rose) was beautifully decorated and furnished, and the food, wine and service were all impeccable. Everyone working at Sugar Hill Inn, owners and staff, seemed happy and could not do enough for their guests. If we ever return to New England (from Old England), Sugar Hill Inn will be the first reservation we make.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in the Peckett Suite. The original part of the inn is the best part, full of New England character. Our room was very nice and modern. I would like to have been able to watch TV from the bed. The two tv chairs need to be renovated or replaced. They have been enjoyed by many. Otherwise, the room was great.
The food in the restaurant was superior as was the service. Karen and Steve are very personable hosts, and make guests feel welcome and comfortable. We would stay here again, but I would choose a room in the old part of the inn to add to the ambience.

Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us. The Peckett Suite was one of the first rooms we renovated after buying the inn in 2006. We replaced the carpet earlier this year and agree that it is time to update the room’s sitting area. We are currently in the planning stage for that update.
West Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Sugar Hill Inn. When we arrived It was pretty cool that we got a little tour and learned some of the history about the Inn.

We stayed in the Richardson suite and it was a beautiful room. We were very happy with our room. At the same time this was our first time staying at an Inn so I was not used to being so close to everyone. I'm a very private person so it took me a little time to get used to it. We were very close to the kitchen and other cotteges, I assumed it would of been a little more private but over all we did enjoy the stay and the beautiful room. I also wish we weren't so close to the main road but obviously nobody can change that.

The night we stayed it was raining and a little warm and muggy.. Being pregnant I am always hot so I tried to work the AC but just couldn't figure it out. We tried all different settings and none of them cooled it down so we opened all the windows over night. It cooled the room down nice but we heard the cars and trucks riding by all night and early morning. If there was a room above us the people who stayed there had their tv on very loud from 5am on and I couldn't get back to sleep. I realize that's not the Inn's fault and there isn't much you can do about it. Our TV for some reason came in with alot of static in some of the channels, It wasn't a big deal because we weren't going to spend the trip watching tv anyway.

I have to point out that the rug in the suite was amazing! It was so soft and plush under my feet. The bed, pillows and bedding were very comfortable. Everything was very neat and clean the only thing I found was a tiny hair in the shower sitting at the top where the shower meets the wall but I wasn't going to make a big deal about that. I'm not used to well water at all so I didn't care much for that.. It just has a smell.. It wasn't bad and I still showered, bathed and brushed my teeth anyway. The whirlpool tub was very nice and relaxing but I noticed some faint cracks in it and the white caulking was coming away. One of my favorite parts of the stay was a few moments after we arrived in our room we had a very friendly and pretty doggie came up to visit us as we walked out onto our deck area. We are huge animal lovers so this was awesome. I went back out there a few times even though it was kind of rainy to see her because she was too cute. I love our mugs and truffles we got with the romantic escape package. We even went to visit Chutter's :)

Dinner was awesome! We were a little nervous at first because this was our first fine dining expierence but we enjoyed ourselves very much. I loved our waiter, He was very friendly, informative and attentive. My boyfriend likes Moscato wine because it's sweet and he recommended a delicious wine for him and because I'm pregnant he told me about the sparkling water and fruit "soda's" He even double checked that there was no caffine in them for me :) When the waiter brought the bread and butter out I was amazed.. it was so warm and yummy & the butter was sweet! Just fabulous! The trio of soups were great! And I am still thinking about how delicious my dinner was. I don't remember the exact name but it was steak and it was cooked perfect! So tender and juicy. The sauce on the side was delicious and made it all the better. The potato croquet was awesome, the little carrots and even the onion were sweet.. everything was beyond delicious. Dessert was amazing as well.. It was the chocolate mocha torte with pumpkin spice ice cream.

However, My boyfriend had the Salmon and he loved it so much, he kept talking about how delicious it was but the next morning he woke up sick and nauseous. (He never gets sick) He couldn't even enjoy his breakfast and he had to drive 3 and a half hours home sick and throwing up ect.. I know it's very easy to get sick from seafood but he loves seafood and eats it all the time and this has never happened. It must have been a bad piece or just undercooked but for some reason it didn't agree with him.

I thought it was very nice that the chef came out to bring our main course, It was warm in the dining room at first but I was glad someone came out and turned on the AC. We sat in the little couches near the big window and it was so nice and cozy. Another thing is I'm scared of bugs and I kept seeing a few on the inside of the windows. It's not something I would complain about though being out in a country inn in the mountains.

Breakfast was good.. I expected the french toast to be a little better.. but it was still good. I loved the bacon it was cooked perfectly. The only thing that happened during breakfast is they forgot to come take our order.

When we checked out there was a bill for the glass of wine and soda from dinner which we had paid for at dinner. Karen was nice enough to cancel that. I'm not sure how it got mixed up but I think the two drinks were $17 with tax and we left $25 to pay for the 2 drinks and tip only on the drinks. I think our Romantic Escape package said the gratuity for dinner was included. I hope that wasn't a mistake on our part. We also left a tip and a note for the house keeper to let her know the room was wonderful. We weren't sure about breakfast, we saw all the other's not leaving anything. I was going to leave the $3 that was recommended in the book but nobody else was so we left as well.
It was so nice that we got cookies for the drive home as we checked out.
I wish we had nicer weather so we could of done some sight seeing but hopefully next time!

I hope this review helps.. hopefully we will be able to come back and have our honeymoon in the dream cottege once we get married :)

Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you to everyone that took the time in 2012 to write us a review. We are overwhelmed by the large number of excellent reviews and your warm and supportive comments. As I read over the reviews I remember our many enjoyable conversations. Besides all that we do, it our fascinating guest from around the world that makes the inn so special.

There were a couple of points in this current review that I wish to comment on. I am sorry that your boyfriend was not feeling well. We serve only the freshest fish. The salmon is my favorite and I eat it all the time. No one else was ill so it was not the dinner.

For those use to city water that has been chlorinated and treated with fluoride our fresh natural well water with healthy mineral might seem different. We have an expensive filtration system that removes most of the mineralogy; however some people may still detect hints of these minerals. Our water is tested 4 times a year by the state to insure its quality.

I understand that this was your first trip to a country inn and I am glad that you are planning a return for your Honeymoon. In general the Sugar Hill Inn offers more privacy then most B&Bs and Inns. No hallway has more than 3 guest rooms and the Peckett and Richardson Suites are not near any other rooms. Five of our rooms are in the Cottages away from the main inn.

Thank you for staying with us.

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!