“Expensive rate for an average stay” 3 of 5 stars

Hampshire Inn Conference Center
20 Spur Rd (Rte 107), Seabrook, NH 03874   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Seabrook
Groton, Connecticut
“Expensive rate for an average stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a room here for a night, because one of our friends uses the conference center at the Hampshire Inn. We were given a discount due to our attending an event in the conference center, which was nice. The rates on their website advertised $121 per night, however the rate we were quoted when we reserved was $149 (before discount). I'm still unsure about that discrepancy.

We had a two room suite. The room was clean and neat when we arrived. There was a large room with a kitchenette, desk, office chair, 32" flat screen TV, and a queen bed. Adjoined to that was the bathroom, with the sink outside and the toilet and shower in a separate room. Through another door was another queen bed, a dresser, and a 19" flat screen TV. The accommodations were dates, but quite decent.

The one complaint we has was the air conditioning system in our room. There was only one thru-the-wall unit for the entire suite and it definitely did not suffice. This seems like a poor mistake for a hotel in a beach town.

Continental breakfast was average fare: coffee, orange juice, milk, make your own oatmeal, pastries, small bagels, muffins, yogurts, and cereal.

In summary, we found the hotel to be quite average for its price. The location was great, right in the midst of the bustling town and not too far from the beaches. The accommodations were decent, clean, and neat. I would stay again, but only if offered a lower rate.

• Stayed July 2013

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights in mid-June. We were a bit put off by the bad reviews but decided to risk it as it was close to where we needed to be and offered a room configuration where we could stay in the same room but still sleep in separate rooms (we snore too loudly and have different sleeping patterns to don't get much rest if we have to share) We got the 2 room suite without really knowing what to expect as there weren't many photos that show the configuration but it ended up being a room within a room. The door from the hallway opened into one of the bedrooms that had a small kitchen area with a bar size fridge, microwave & single sink. As mentioned in the previous reviews, there were no utensils or dishes so bring your own. This part of the room had a queen size bed, dresser, wall mounted TV and desk with office chair.

There was a separate bedroom with a door that closed with another queen sized bed, dresser, nightstands and a small wall mounted TV. The bathroom was off to one side and you didn't have to go through the private bedroom to access it. The sink is separate from the room with toilet and shower which was good for getting ready in the morning but not so good for middle of the night trips to the washroom as there's no door between the sink area and the person sleeping in the outer bedroom. If he or she is a light sleeper, having the sink area in the bedroom isn't ideal.

Overall, it was one of the more convenient layouts that we've found when travelling. We usually try to find a hotel with separate sleeping areas so we can stay in the same room but each have our own sleeping space.

We found the beds to be comfortable. The ones in our room had very springy mattresses/supports that bouce when you sit on them and tend to squeak loudly, lol. But for sleeping they were comfortable as I prefer a soft bed.

The room wasn't noticably dirty as some reviews mentioned but there was dust on the curtain tops and one day my bed wasn't made so I don't think managment/owners stress cleanliness of the rooms as being a high priority. We didn't find anything in our room that made us uncomfortable for our stay.

There were a few things missing from that room that I would expect at most hotels - nothing too major but it would have been nice to know about these things before our visit so we could pack accordingly. As mentioned by several reviewers, towels are scarce. Our room which should be able to sleep 4 people had 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 2 facecloths and a bath mat. Clocks were also scarce. The only clock in our room was the small display on the microwave oven. There were no alarm clocks in either bedroom. I tried turning on the weather network so there would be a clock in my room but the TV didn't display the channel correctly and so the bottom display with the time was cut off. I had to resort to sleeping with my watch or computer on so I'd know what time to get up. There was also only 1 chair (at the desk) in the suite. If my friend and I wanted to eat breakfast in our room, one of us had to eat in bed as there wasn't anywhere else to sit.

Breakfast was pretty much what we expected from the reviews: cold cereal with milk, bread & bagels for the toaster with a variety of toppings (jams, cream cheese, peanut butter) and muffins (blueberry or bran) Most of the time we were there it was served in a small side room near the desk but one morning it was on a shelf near the coffee & juice machines. Most guests seemed to take it back to their rooms on a tray rather than eat at one of the communal tabels in the breakfast room.

The front desk staff were pleasant but easily flustered. We wanted to pay for our stay by dividing the charges in half and paying on 2 separate credit cards. When it came time to check out the person manning the desk had some problems getting this processed and it ended up taking longer than we expected to get on the road. We never saw more than one staff person at any time so there were often times when we would go to the desk and no one would be there because the person on duty had to go to someone's room. This hotel is a bit large for there to be only one person at the desk in my opinion. Service could be improved if there was a 2nd person working during busier periods.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and plan to return next year when we are visiting the area again. Now that we know what is and isn't in the rooms we'll pack accordingly.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Poor choice of overnight stay. We used a coupon and it was easy on and off road access. This is the only good points of this stay. Rooms were dirty , mattress was at least 20 yrs old, pillows flat, fingerprints on the door, mold in bathroom . What can I say - sketchy and scary!

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these Seabrook hotels

Charlottetown, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My friend and I just stayed at this hotel for several nights. Our room layout was ideal for us..each person had their own bed in a separate room with the bathroom off of both rooms. The staff were pleasant to deal with, friendly and helpful. We did have a few little issues, one of the beds was forgotten by the room attendant so it remained unmade..the bathroom was not cleaned very well during our stay. Just a cursory tidy more than a good cleaning. The breakfast was ok..just cereal,muffins, toast,bagels coffee &juice. It is in two separate areas which is a little strange and could be easily missed by some guests. This was fine for me, nothing fancy but better than nothing at all. The beds were very comfortable ..the pillows were not..they need replacing.
For the price and the fab location this hotel was a good value and we will be back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My bf and I stayed here on a Wednesday night. Paid $89 for the night through Booking.com. The rooms were very large and looked recently renovated. Big flat-screen tvs. The paint, carpet and bathroom tile, bed, couch, and tables all looked new. The only older stuff was the sink/fridge area and the bathroom fixtures, which were old and grimy. They have a jacuzzi tub, but the towels are strangely small. I'm not a big person and they hardly covered me. They are definitely trying to improve the rooms, but they just need a little more work.
They said the had cookies and milk at night, but we didn't see them. The breakfast in the morning was packets of oatmeal and hot chocolate. They shouldn't advertise continental breakfast with such meager options.
The stay was better than I expected for the price and area but still needed some improvements. I would stay here again if they keep the cost down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampshire Inn Conference Center? Share your experiences!