“THIS HOTEL RUINED OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY!” 1 of 5 stars

Steele Hill Resorts
516 Steele Hill Road, Sanbornton, NH 03269   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Sanbornton
Pascoag, Rhode Island
“THIS HOTEL RUINED OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our one year wedding anniversary. We called 3 months in advance and asked for a special suite for our first anniversary and were told that they were all booked already (?!?) but we would be on a waiting list if any opened up. We were also told that if we did end up getting just a standard room, the staff would make sure our stay was special. We arrived at around 6:00 at night in the dark and was given a very small difficult to read map to try and find our room. Once we got to our room, it was out-dated. The windows had so much condensation between the glass that we could hardly see out them, which didn't matter because our view was of a dumpster. Glad we stayed in the lakes region to stare at a dumpster. It was also over 80 degrees in our room even though the thermostat said the heat was off. We had to sleep with the noisy air conditioner on when it was 40 degrees outside! The next morning, we took the time to put all of our wet towels in the middle of the bathroom floor and pile up all the bedding in the middle of the bed for the maid service to clean up and re-make the bed before we went out for the day. We got back to our hotel room at 5:30pm with dinner reservations at 6:00pm, so we were in a rush. Whe we walked into our room, IT WAS EXACTLY HOW WE HAD LEFT IT! NO ONE CAME TO CLEAN OUR ROOM! We tried to call the front desk to see why this could have happened but no one answered the phone. We hurried to our dinner reservations and went straight to the front desk ourselves when we returned, which we had to drive to because it is so far away from our room. When we got there, the desk attendant seemed concerned that no one came to clean our room and was said he would make a note in our file for when we checked out. We asked for clean towels since we were given none that day, and he sais someone would bring them up right away. An hour later, at 10:00 at night, after having to make our own bed on the night on our anniversary, no one had arrived with towels yet and we were waiting up for them. We called the front desk to find out when the towels were coming and the attendant said he got caught up in other things and he would call someone right away. Twenty minutes later, a maintenance man in a dirty work jacket showed up at our room with our clean white towels pressed against his jacket. After dropping them off, this maintenance man noticed that th elock on our door was broken, which we hadn't even noticed when we arrived. He at first questioned if we broke it! He then said he was going to get his tools and fix it, AT 10:00 AT NIGHT! We thanked him but sent him away. The next morning, when we checked out, the female desk attendant asked how we enjoyed our stay. We explained all of the mis-haps and her first response was, "Why didn't you call the front desk?" We explained that we tried to call but there was no answer and that we ended up having to make our own bed and get our own towels. Her response was, "Well the maid service doesn't make you bed anyway, so other than that, how was you stay?" WHAT?!? HAVE YOU EVER STAYED AT A HOTEL THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR BED!?! We never EVER got an apology nevermind offered a discount or a coupon or anything! THIS HOTEL RUINED OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
I am sorry to hear about this negative experience at Steele Hill. Unfortunately I was off property during the dates, but I have subsequently reviewed the details with my managers. Our front desk manager was able to follow up with this guest and comp their stay. They have also been offered a return visit in our newest suites.

Speaking to the lack of availability expressed by our reservation staff, Steele Hill has experienced extremely high demand over the course of the recent year and we have cases where days will book solid, particularly weekends, well in advance. I am glad the staff followed up accordingly with the waiting list.

In terms of the view, we did have a construction dumpster set near the amenities building during the dates of this stay. We just completed a major renovation that includes a completely new roof and major sections of glass replacement in the west pool atrium. This specific room was able to see the area of the dumpster to the peripheral, but it did not obstruct any lines of sight to the view. Despite this clarification, I do understand the concern. This was scheduled to be removed prior to the stay, but unfortunately due to weather, the schedule was pushed back several days. I will take this as a lesson and ensure that our management team is fully prepared to communicate any future scheduling conflicts and offer room moves, reschedule dates or offer refunds prior to a visit if at all possible.

My biggest point of concern was the lack of maid service. I can absolutely assure you that our maid service does include fully making the bed. I will personally sit down with the desk staff that were scheduled during this visit to correct this communication error and determine why it happened in the first place. There is no excuse to miscommunicate with a guest in this manner. Today I reviewed the specifics with our Housekeeping Manager. He explained that a housekeeper went to the room for a maid service around 1PM the day in question and was told it would not be required by the guest. It is my opinion that this communication was actually with the guest staying in the other half of the lock out unit. We sincerely apologize for this mistake. I will sit down with the management team to review this specific scenario and come up with a solution to prevent it from happening again in the future.

Overall, I am sorry to hear we failed to deliver. I can assure you that we will thoroughly review each issue that was raised and seek to improve our services going forward. I do sincerely hope that you take us up on the offer for a return visit in our south suite. The entire team would love the opportunity to change your perception of the resort. If you would like to discuss further details feel free to contact me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216.

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Hanover, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We bought a groupon deal and stayed in a west 1 bedroom suite. The entrance was a little confusing, we had to go up stairs to enter the building and then we had to go down stairs to our suite. The suite, especially the kitchen, was very suite. The furniture and bathroom was definitely dated. No complaints about the room other than the bed was very uncomfortable and the bedding could have definitely been updated. We also had a loud family above us and could hear their footsteps late into the night. One huge plus is that every suite has a large balcony with a beautiful view. The kitchen was very neat and had all the basic necessities you would need.

As for the resort, it was large and had a great indoor pool facility. We definitely enjoyed it. We also had dinner at the restaurant. It was an okay atmosphere. My french onion soup was a bit salty but the butternut squash and the lobster mac and cheese were great. Everyone we dealth with at the resort was nice. This place is a great place for a family with the outdoor pools and hiking available. There are major site seeing places to visit about an hour away. Very pretty area in the fall.

West Warwick, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The good...
-The resort made everything right and issued a refund to us for what was a terrible stay. Therefore, I have a hard time going into detail about the experience. I will say this. Had they issued a refund and given us an additional stay, I would have declined the additional stay. The refund was great though.
-Staff is great (front desk/security/maintenance). However, they didn't seem trained on how to handle extreme situations.
-Manager is excellent.
-Having a full kitchen is awesome. Nice to be able to save some money on breakfast and dinner by cooking your own.

The bad...
-Badly dated
-Location is a nightmare. Don't use GPS. You'll be lost for hours.
-If staying here, make sure you reserve the 2 bedrooms. If you only reserve the one bedroom with the kitchen, you're literally downstairs with no way out. I actually was surprised that it passed inspection. I would have thought it would be against code.
-SPIDERS! I'm half kidding. I mean....you're in the mountains in New Hampshire. However, someone needs to take a power washer to this resort. Outside of all of the windows on the top floor were webs upon webs of GIANT spiders. I got a kick out of watching my 3 year old daughter freak out looking at them. I think they were wolf spiders. Like I said. Half kidding, but if you are afraid of spiders, you'll freak out.

Room Tip: Reserve both the upstairs and downstairs for both privacy and peace of mind.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. While we did refund your stay costs, our goal is to provide a positive hospitality experience and ensure our guests are satisfied. I appreciate your positive comments on the in-room kitchens. These are great features that many vacationers take full advantage of.

In terms of the negative points, I am sorry to hear you had an issue with your GPS device. We do include a disclaimer on our website and confirmation emails that direct guests to use the directions we provide. As of a year ago, Steele Hill has a brand new paved road that stretches all the way down to the main road through the Lakes Region. It is the newest, best maintained road in town and we do provide signage all along the road from route 3. Unfortunately, the town of Sanbornton does have a class 6, unmaintained road that some GPS devices will erroneously send drivers down. We have petitioned the mapping companies to remove this route from the coordinates several times. The general response is that as long as the state retains the class 6 designation, they will not remove it from their service. We will continue to address proper directions in our communication and petition the mapping companies to update their services.

I have to disagree with the comment that the property is overly dated. Steele Hill Resorts has the most aggressive renovation budgets in the entire Lakes Region. This year alone we plan on fully renovating over 50% of the rooms at Steele Hill West. This would include engineered hardwood floors, granite counter-tops throughout and all new furniture.

Thank you for originally choosing Steele Hill Resorts. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future to sample our continued improvements.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is our second time coming to Steele Hill during leaf peeping season. When booking this trip I informed staff of our last experience with a dirty hot tub and paper thin walls. It was suggested we try a remote room in west # 611. Sounded good so we booked it. The first time walking through the door we considered asking to change rooms as this one is a virtual fish bowl with numerous vertical blinds. We decided to stay but once it got dark I wished we had went with our first instinct. The two ground based flood lights shown through the vertical blinds all night. The next day this issue was addressed with staff while we went to dine at the resort. That was another experience. The manner in which my wife's meal was to be prepared was misrepresented and my steak tips came to the table still mooing. The manager did comp my wife's meal and providdd free desert. That was very nice. That night the outdoor lights were angled more towards the ground until a family of four checked into the room next to us. When I traveled down the hill earlier that day to get a sleep mask I should have also picked up ear plugs. While attempting to sleep kids werd running up and down stairs and later parents were arguing. Wish we had planned ahead and gone to a bed and breakfast like we usually do cause we don't have those issues in a B&B. Oh and to let maintenance staff know the shower head leaks as well.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear that there were some issues with your stay. Many guests do like room 611 particularly for its proximity to the main indoor pool area. However, it sounds like this unit was not an ideal fit for you. I will be sure to have the maintenance staff review all outdoor lighting around this room to see if we can detect and improve any issues.

It sounds like the Food and Beverage Manager was able rectify the issue with your meal and offer a free dessert for your troubles. I will be sure to review this with the manager. Overall I am glad they responded accordingly.

In general I am disappointed that your stay did not meet the standards we set. Our team truly cares about the guest experience and I know Steele Hill is a great property to visit and enjoy in the Lakes Region. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future to deliver a positive hospitality experience.

Mount Juliet, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The resort is very nice especially for families. The staff is available 24/7 and are friendly and helpful.
We went to enjoy fall and it was beautiful there! It was also a great base for day trips to Boston, MA and Portland Maine, etc. the on site restaurant was very good and the nearby Pancake House was a treat with delicious maple syrup from their own trees. Their farm was fun to see.
The hills were breathtaking. It was a very relaxing!

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had never visited this part of the states before and really enjoyed this resort in the middle of NH. This was an RCI exchange and we had to have a two bedroom condo as smaller units were not available. Our unit was VERY large and well-appointed. Wonderful jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom suite. Living room was also very good sized. It was nice and clean but felt a bit dated. That said, the numerous pools available (indoors and out) were delightful and NEVER crowded.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Have just returned from a week at Steele Hill Resort. We were in the west wing which is very old and dated. On first impressions of the room we thought we would have an awful week, when we got used to it we really enjoyed it. The bed was very comfortable, toiletries were provided, there was everything we needed in the room and a balcony overlooking the lakes and mountains which was perfect for sitting out on in the mornings as the weather was very hot, but we only had the sun until midday. The pool was lovely and there was a sauna and Jacuzzi, toilets and changing rooms all very handy. We didn't use the restaurant. The down side was it was miles from anywhere but we enjoyed travelling to the many shopping centres and restaurants. It was very quiet and some days we didn't see anyone, even though there were lots of cars in the parking lots. We would recommend this resort for a peaceful break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!