“A budget hotel with some nice upgrades” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Salem
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Red Roof Lane, Salem, NH 03079   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Salem
Bangkok, Thailand
“A budget hotel with some nice upgrades”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was looking for an inexpensive, budget hotel to stay at while in Salem and this Red Roof Inn is just what I expected. My room had a terrible musty smell that took days to air out to a level that was bearable. It was so strong, I had to hang out, every evening, at one of the many Dunkin Donuts shops with my laptop until it was late enabling me to fall quickly asleep when I re-entered my room. Next, large food crumbs remained under my bed evidently left behind by previous guests. However, it was very clear that effort was placed in upgrading the room. The bathroom had new flooring, paint, and shower insert. The room had a nice 32" flatscreen which was a nice touch. The vanity had a new granite counter top...along with the obligatory cigarette burn on the surface. (This suppose to be a non-smoking room.) The bed and bedding was low end but surprising comfortable. The pictures and mirrors were definitely upgrades. I really believe the owners are working to upgrade this property but, for me, it still missed the mark. Despite upgrades, I couldn't get past the odor. I couldn't wait to leave!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
szagzoug, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Salem, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I want to first apoligize for these issues here at Salem Red Roof Inn. We have an upcoming renovations that will address all these issues. The Salem Red Roof Inn will also be 100% non-smoking. We will work very hard to correct any and all issue between now and then. Thanks you once again for letting us know about your stay.

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Salem NH. As well as the property and the room to be well kept and clean I found that the staff is the reason for a return visit. During my stay at the hotel my 2 year old daughter became sick . The employees Doris, Keira and Samantha went above and beyond to accommodate my daughter and myself. They made what was a bad experience to a very pleasant comfortable stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
szagzoug, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Salem, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your daughter was not feeling well and that we we able to help as much as we could. I will let Doris, Kiera and Samantha know about how helpful they were to make your stay more comfortable for you and your daughter. I am very glad to have the staff who go above and beyond for the guests. We will be renovating soon and will be more than happy if you come by the next time that you are in Salem, NH and see the improvements that we have done. We have our RediCard program that you may be interested in. You can sign up for online or at any Red Roof and start earning free nights when you stay at any Red Roof. Once again, I want to thank you for your comments and I am glad that the staff was able to improve your experience with us.
Leicester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel was very nice. We were nervous because we were checking in at 10:30pm but we had no problems. Everything was very clean and very quiet. The staff were all very helpful and pleasant especially Amy and Doris. We would definetly stay again. Great hotel great price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
szagzoug, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Salem, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. I will let Amy and Doris see your review they both take a lot of pride in giving great service! Just so you know we will be renovated soon so that we can better serve you when traveling to the Salem area. Check on line and sign up for our Redi-Card program and start earning free night at any Red Roof Inn. Thanks again for your kind words.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. Salem is located only about 45 minutes north of Boston, so if you're looking to save money while visiting the city or just passing through, I suggest staying here. Breakfast is not included at this particular hotel, so keep this in mind if that is something that is important.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are conveniently located less than an hour away from Boston and right off of the highway. Making it a perfect location where you are close enough to any of the major cities but far enough away that you do not have the city prices. We are very close drive to a couple of great breakfast restaurants. If you were not able to visit any of them, I do hope that you give them a try the next time that you are in the area. We are having our rooms renovated this winter and would love for you to come by the next time that you are in the area and see our new rooms. Our RediCard program is another great plus if you are interested and you can start earning points immediately towards free nights. You can sign up and learn more about the program and what it has to offer online or at any Red Roof. Thank you again and I am pleased to hear about your stay with us.
Flin Flon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was a very nice Red Roof Inn. It was very modern. Our room had a very nice new flat screen TV; was clean and spacious. The front desk staff was very friendly. If you are on a budget I cannot imagine a better place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
szagzoug, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Salem, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will be going through room renovations soon and the rooms will be updated even more than they alread are. I do hope that the next time that you are in the area, you will come by and see the changes that are done to the rooms. All of the staff members take great pride in their work. I will share your comments with them.

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you again!
Spencerport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had made 5 reservations, for 15 people and two dogs, months in advance, trying to confirm on-line using the confirmation numbers did not work. I had arrived ahead of the party and the desk clerk on duty, Amy, worked through the computer being down found all 5 reservations in the system and had everyone at ease. Thank You Amy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LILLE, MAINE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This property continues to be my favorite place to stay when going to Boston. It was last reviewed on Nov. 27, 2009. I have yet to be disappointed after staying here over a dozen times in the past couple years. The rooms are always clean and comfortable and the staff will go out of their way to making my stay here stress-free. The addition of WiFi access in the rooms is greatly appreciated. This is the place to stay if you want an affordable room within an easy drive to Boston.

Room Tip: Rooms with a refrigerator and microwave command a slightly higher rate. A bus terminal abutting the...