“Worth stopping in” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Portland, Maine
“Worth stopping in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Had a very good lunch here before seeing a play at the Opera House. Lunch combo of half sandwich and soup or salad was reasonably priced and very tasty. Good ingredients and decent sized portions. Not a lot of drinks to choose from, but the basics. Would absolutely return the next time we are in town.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Franklin, New Hampshire, United States
“What a deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Typically when I eat out price is ALWAYS a factor. We have only been to Rochester twice to visit Jetpack Comics that is right around the corner from this shop. We asked the store owners where a good place to eat was and they directed us to the Portable Pantry. What a find this place is! And even better - they Cater!
The dining area is small but just enough room for everyone. The staff was friendly and upbeat and they helped you the whole step of the way if you are new. They have lunch deals and homemade delicious soups and homemade yummy desserts!
I am a person who dislikes certain cooked vegetables because the texture after it has been cooked is mushy and gross. So I ordered the Chicken pot pie soup knowing I would normally have to pick around the peas and carrots...well I ate the whole thing! Peas, carrots, yummy roasted chicken and in a gravy like no other!
I also ordered the Grilled cheese with bacon and ham and they had no problem changing the blue cheese to cheddar or provolone for me. The bacon and ham were so good it took the sandwich to a whole new level for me! I had a soda pop and for dessert I had a scrumptious toll house cream cheese bar! WOW! Out of this world!
My husband had the Hungarian beef soup and the Turkey dinner sandwich and a lemon square! He said this soup was the best he has had in a long time! The sandwich was tender and the relish was outstanding!
Now here is the big deal for me - price....I compared our meals against any simple fast food restaurant and our entire meal was only $5.62 more than you would get at a fast food restaurant! Now that is the kind of deal I am looking for! I would rather spend a little more knowing I am getting 99% if not 100% homemade from a small business than spend a little less at some regular fast food place where all the food is over processed!
Thank you Portable Pantry!
We will be back the next time we are in town!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Nothing fancy, but good fresh deli food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

stopped here for a quick lunch. service was fast and friendly; menu mostly sandwiches and salads. Simple food, but fresh ingredients and well prepared.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seacoast NH
“Best sandwiches in Rochester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been going to this place at least once a week since they opened. They are the best place for a sandwich in Rochester, hands down. Different specials every day, and the chef really cares about food being delicious and creative. I even had them make a dish for me to take to Thanksgiving, and people raved about it. (They are already asking about it for this year.) Great place for an early lunch meeting with 2 or 3 people. Get on their email list and you get the specials to your inbox every day, which I look forward to reading even if I can't get away from my desk! (Also, for those who worry about cleanliness, these folks are very sanitary in their food prep.)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ehhh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Have to say had an underwhelming experience for lunch, stale bread, good concepts but chef didn't execute...won't be back

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere