“Best Walk-in Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Brazo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Street
Description: What if Portsmouth had a fling with a Latin lover? What if mojo filled the streets, steaming with the heat of Cuban, Spanish and, Latin music. What if you could drink a caipirinha on a Tuesday night? Or salsa with someone you'd never met? Welcome to Brazo where the flavors of Latin and South America are completely at home in northern reaches. Its everything an exotic journey should be right in downtown Portsmouth. Viva Brazo!
Istanbul, Turkey
“Best Walk-in Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

During our one night-stay in Portsmouth, NH, we were recommended a few fish restaurants but we wanted to venture instead. During a stroll on the restaurant area we came accross Brazo which seemed inviting from outside, and boy were we in for a culinary surprise. For the dinner specials we paid $25 for a thre course-meal and the appetizers and entrees were out-of-this world. The Tuna Taco is possibly one of thebest appetizers I have ever eaten anywhere in the world, and the steak was really rare even with American standards. The sauces, the desserts, the service, the ambience... overall a great experience: do go there!

Visited April 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Just not that good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I booked this restaurant because it had been ranked #1 a few months back. Tapas were just not that good (although the fish tacos were good). The mojito and coffee drink I had were not very good either. It wasn't terrible, just not didn't have the "wow factor" I expected the best restaurant in Portsmouth to have.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
UnitedStates
“Enjoyed dinner but not wowed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

After reading great reviews, my husband and I decided to dine at Brazo during our visit to Portsmouth. I expected something better but the food turned out to be just fine. While I have no complaints, I was not wowed by it. I won't be in a rush to come back again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Always great food, but that's it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've always enjoyed the food at Brazo, but there is always a missing element - it's never a perfect evening. Sometimes I leave feeling that the prices were too high. One time my credit card was charged twice. Most recently I met friends for apps and drinks. We sat at the bar and the bartender was not friendly. Our first round of apps came out and sat on the back of the bar -- when we asked for them the bartender said she wished she had more than two hands and then proceeded to make a couple of drinks before turning around and handing the apps to us. Why the attitude? There are too many restaurants in Portsmouth that provide the full experience; who needs to feel mistreated?

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States
“Bravo, Brazo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently, my husband and I had dinner at Brazo. We started with a beet, goat cheese and arugula salad that was fresh and tasty. Our server, Ryan, highly recommended the halibut special. We both ordered it, as it sounded delicious. Normally we would not order the same entree, but we were so glad we did. The halibut was moist, tender and flaky and the delicious sauce enhanced the flavor. It was accompanied by roasted fingerling potatoes and tiny, tender asparagus. The whole meal was fantastic. One reason we go to Brazo is because they have a gluten-free menu (I'm allergic). Ryan, our charming server, has been working at the restaurant since it's opening, and he offers just the right level of service. He is knowledgeable and attentive. I hesitate to publicize this restaurant, because it's not easy to get a reservation as it is now. But it is definitely on our "list" and you may want to put it on your rotation. We have also had fun eating at the bar (when we have gotten there early enough). Even though we had reservations, we had to wait about 15 minutes--a small price to pay for a fantastic meal. We were seated at a nice table for two in the first room near the front entrance. There is another room near the bar and we have only been seated at a table there once. Maybe you have to make reservations far in advance to score a seat in that room? Anyways, we'll be back as Brazo is doing everything right.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere