“Convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Portsmouth
Rome, NY, United States
“Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hotel is acceptable … nothing spectacular, but certainly acceptable. Restaurant isn’t much, but there are plenty of good places nearby to eat. If you are looking for seafood Warren’s is the place. Lounge is large and probably the best feature the hotel has. Do not …. Let me repeat that … DO NOT take a room on the 6th floor. The elevator only goes to the 5th floor! I know it sounds odd (and it is odd … very odd) but it’s true.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Robert A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our lounge.

However, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience our elevator has caused you. Nevertheless, I am pleased that you had a satisfying stay with us and our service and amenities somewhat met your expectations.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here Friday and Sat night. It was a special occasion and I had flowers sent to my room prior to my arrival. They were placed beautifully in my room and another package was held for me at the desk. Everything went smooth. I recieved nice help getting a taxi to go to Dinner Saturday night.. Entire stay was great. I ate Dinner in the Lounce area on Friday. They re started the fire place for us. Food was good and reasonably priced. I suggest the Peanut butter pie for dessert.

We had a nice king bed room. Plenty of space. Internet worked fine. Chair was comforatable.

The pool was not what I expected, but everything else was outsanding. It starts with the staff and it shows they care.

The hotel is close enough to walk to downtown and we did so, and saw some of Market Square day.

Very good experieince.

Bob

Room Tip: 3rd and 5th floors have ice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
North Haverhill, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here at a great price for $40 less than normal rates overnight this past week. The location was convenient to most everything. The desk staff was very helpful and courteous and had the room available before noon for check-in. Although it seems I got the cut rate room due to location next to the stairwell, it was very quiet and comfortable. The rooms had been refurbished it seems with flat screen tv, plush bedding, new carpeting and upgraded bathrooms to a point. Nice pool although I didn't use it or the restaurant since choices in the area were a plenty. Would recommend it at the price I paid. Yes, they have free wifi too.

Room Tip: Even number rooms are on back side of hotel and quieter. Ask if the room is near an elevator or sta...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Pace, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Big kudos for Holiday Inn in Portsmouth, NH. Made me right at home the first night of my stay and with very friendly front desk. Shannon and Cash always had to chat to make small talk and give pointers where you could get dinner always from the hotel, but you can a great meal in the in house restaurant. I recommend the fish and chips, which served hot and almost more then I could eat, but I finish all it, which I had it served in the bar where I could watch the games. I had a King Room which was very clean and comfortable. I had only few nights stay, but I will stay there again on my way home after I finish my assignment.

Room Tip: All rooms are non-smoking, if you are a smoker, just ask to be next to elevator it makes easy to go...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Beverly MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We happened to book the Holiday Inn when we went onto a site that boasts,"Get a 3 star hotel for a 2 star price". The lobby is new and attractive and the entire hotel seemed to be clean and updated. We were quite happy when we arrived at our room on the quiet even numbered side of the building. It was clean but the sheer curtain on the large window was torn. We unpacked and decided to go to the pool which is reached by going through the lowest level of the building. The pool water was cloudy -and very uninviting,so we decided we would just sit a while. Was the filter working? The furniture in this area was okay-not perfect-but okay. The floor around the pool was dirty,with what appeared to be dead brown bugs(or somekind of leaves?) here and there. We expected a good pool at a Holiday Inn and were very unhappy and told the desk clerk the next day when we checked out. She promised to get housekeeping to attend to the ripped curtain but made no mention of cleaning the pool area. The staff that we encountered ,in the lounge and around the hotel in general were all cordial, gracious and knowledgeable.. Lots of care has been put into maintaining the main hotel with an attractive lounge and restaurant area ,as well the guest rooms and corridors. The cheap ,dirty and unattractive pool area looked like it was totally out of place at this hotel and was a big disappointment!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Hicocamp,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the compliments on our clean hotels. However, we do apologize the experience you had with the cleanliness of the pool was less than satisfactory. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope that the next time you come through, you give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and you get 2 free drink coupons when you check in, to use at the bar! It's a bit of a hike to downtown, but a cheap cab ride. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Bradford, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went to the holiday inn for a 2 night stay with 2 other couples. All of us had nice rooms and comfy beds. The rates of this hotel were so reasonable and our rooms were very clean. No sign of bed bugs as mentioned in another review from around the same time as we stayed. Staff was also very nice and helpful, and because we have stayed there before and have a rewards card we received 4 free drink cards to use in the lounge. Lounge was nice although the bartender was not as friendly as I would of liked. Only thing that was kind of a bummer was that both of the couples we traveled with had a microwave and fridge in their rooms and we did not. So if that's important to you, ask when checking in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth? Share your experiences!