We chose the Homewood Suites based on the positive reviews on Trip Advisor, and it certainly lived up to its reputation. In spite of its large size, the property feels homey and cozy, with a very appealing lobby area that makes you want to sit and relax by the fireplace. (In fact, we did exactly that on a very snowy Sunday.) The inviting atmosphere of the hotel is matched by the extremely friendly attitude of the staff members. Every single person with whom we dealt at the hotel was warm and helpful, which really made us feel welcome. The customer service orientation of the staff is evident in everything they do.
The room itself was pretty amazing for the price. We chose the "open concept" studio, which was enormous and well-laid out, with two large windows that provided a nice view and plenty of light. It even includes a full-sized dishwasher! We liked the fact that the bathroom vanity was separate from the tub and toilet. The bed is wonderfully comfortable, with soft and inviting high-end linens. Since this is a new property, everything felt clean and modern.
The breakfast buffet has a limited range of standard breakfast fare, but everything was very fresh and well-prepared (the bacon was particularly good!). The laundry was a very welcome bonus after we had been on the road for a while (although $2 per washer and dryer cycle is a bit steep).
The heating/cooling units made a great deal of noise when they were operating, which was annoying. Even though it was very cold during our stay, we kept the room at a fairly low temperature during the night so that the heat would not come on and off and wake us up.
Where the hotel falls short (and the reason I'm not giving it five stars) is the housekeeping (or lack thereof). After our room had been made up, we could barely tell that it had been cleaned. The bed was not really made properly, and it seemed as though the sheets had simply been pulled up. It looked really sloppy, and the sheets came untucked as soon as we got into bed. It was pretty clear that the room had not been vacuumed, and there was no evidence that the tables and counters had been wiped down thoroughly. The bathroom did seem reasonably clean, but not up to the standard I would expect of a Hilton property. The low housekeeping standard didn't ruin our stay, because we really enjoyed every other aspect of the hotel--but it was really a disappointment.
The location of the Homewood Suites is a bit odd (in the middle of a business park), but it was very close to shopping and dining and accessible to both Portsmouth and other towns in the region. Since it is a bit out of town, parking was plentiful and easy, and the location turned out to be ideal for us.
We will likely stay here again based on the location, value, service and overall quality of the property, but I hope the hotel will try harder with its housekeeping services.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brand new all suite property. Free internet access. Flat screen televisions in every room. Complimentary breakfast all week. Complimentary light dinner Monday-Thursday. Swimming pool and fitness area. 625 foot meeting room. Business center. 2 minute drive to downtown Portsmouth. 5 minute drive to Pease Tradeport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Portsmouth Hotel Portsmouth
- Homewood Suites Portsmouth
- Homewood Portsmouth
- Hilton Portsmouth
- Portsmouth Hilton
- Portsmouth Homewood Suites