“Wonderful Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Alabama
“Wonderful Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We ate here twice during our stay in Portsmouth, after it being highly recommended by the front desk at the Ale House Inn. We were very pleased with the food and service both times and would be glad to go back.

Visited December 2012
Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hi Lawbooks

Thank you so much for the nice review, I appreciate it very much. I have also extended a Thank You to the Ale House Inn staff and I look forward to you dining with us next time you are in town. Deb :-)

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The owner is always on hand and greets new customers and old friends alike. Food is excellent. You have to try if visiting Portsmouth

Visited August 2012
Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to let viewers know about The Green Monkey and that they should give us a try. It is much appreciated. Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing you again. Deb :-)
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Our second time dining at The Green Monkey, was just a good, if not even better than the first go around. That's really saying something, considering our first foray was aces.

I callled the day before for a reservation. Very atypical for me as I always try to book at least one week in advance. The owner, Deb, was extremely accomodating and was able to fit us in. Quite a surprise.

Upon arrival, Deb greeted us as if we were regular customers. We've met Deb only once before and she remembered both me and my wife. We were seated at a great table and ordered drinks from Jamie, our waitress, who by the way was superb.

A fantastic short rib and salmon were enjoyed by me and my wife, respectively. Meals were prepared to perfection and presented beautifully. Deb stopped by, on several occasions just to be sure we were enjoying oiur evening and Jamie was personable and attentive without being intrusive. She was on her game all evening.

For dessert, we split a Smokey Pistachio, which consisted of chocolate ice cream, candied pistachios and salted caramel. Wow!! This really topped off the evening.

Being from Boston does not provide us the ability to frequent The Green Monkey as often as we would like, but we will be sure to come here whenever we are in town.

Thank you Deb, for a wonderful evening.

• Visited December 2012
Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hi Joe

Thank you for your wonderful review, the comment Ace's makes me very happy. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing you both next time you are in town.

Deb :-)
Clarksburg, Canada
“Warm Welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

As mentioned in previous reviews, the owner Deb gave us a very warm welcome when we arrived at the restaurant. I was dining with my son and his room-mates from UNH and I try to take them somewhere they wouldn't go on their own. The atmosphere was very warm and welcoming, the service was very attentive and the food was delicious, not to mention the generous portions which was good for the boys. I also chose this restaurant because of the gluten-free options as one of the boys is celiac. It was restaurant weekend and it was very busy but the restaurant handled it very well. This was our first time at the Green Monkey but it is definitely not our last. This is an annual visit for me and up until now we just tried a different place each year. Another great feature is the complimentary valet parking as it is a very busy area. Thanks Deb for a wonderful evening. See you next year, or maybe sooner.

• Visited November 2012
Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Hi Darice,
I apologize for not responding sooner. It was my pleasure meeting you and the boys, I am glad that you enjoyed the food, atmosphere and valet. Please extend my hello to the boys( Matt, Chris, Ernest and Brian?, how close was I with the names ?) and that we look forward to seeing them next year. Happy Holidays.
Deb :-)
Maine
“Excellent service, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a $30 limelight deal we had purchased for The Green Monkey and decided to use for my birthday last night. It was a Monday night (we were advised to have a reservation-we were the only table there however as it was a quiet night). The food was impeccable and the service was awesome (I apologize I cannot remember the server's name but she was the only server there along with the hostess (November 5, 2012). We started off with what the server call spoons as an appetizer which consisted of steak with a bourbon marmalade and a salmon mousse! Both phenomenal. For my entree, I had the strip steak with brussels sprouts hash and fingerling fries (both out of this world)! The steak was a little tough but still had good flavor. My husband had the meatloaf (meatloaf, you say! but it was not just meatloaf!) It was wrapped with smoked bacon and had a whiskey glaze served with garlic mashed potatoes and the spinach was to die for! Dessert was an espresso creme brulee which my husband raved about and for me an apple caramel cobbler which was good but not extraordinary. All in all, we would go back as it was fine dining and food at it's best. The server (I wish I could tell you her name) was an angel and a peach! She was modest in her own right by offering suggestions (other than what we had ordered for after-dinner drinks). I would highly recommend!! Do not expect to pay what you would at Applebee's or some of the other chains but then again, do not expect the mediocre food we have all become designed to think we love! The Green Monkey is a treasure and a pleasant find!

• Visited November 2012
Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dlduson, Thank you so much , one for purchasing the limelight deal and two for the great review. By the way Happy Birthday :-), Your servers name was Karen and I will show her your post and extend your kind words and thank you. I am glad you and your husband enjoyed and that my staff and I could be part of your birthday celebration. We look forward to seeing you again.
Regards, Deb