“The best breakfast I've had in a while. You must try the home fries!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colby's Breakfast & Lunch

Colby's Breakfast & Lunch
105 Daniel St, Portsmouth, NH 03801
(603) 436-3033
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 183 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
South Berwick, Maine
“The best breakfast I've had in a while. You must try the home fries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to Colby's yesterday (6/30) because we were both too warm to cook!

I decided to go with a daily special, the smoked salmon eggs benedict and a side of hash. The eggs were poached perfectly and the hollandaise sauce appeared to be homemade. I liked that the spinach wasn't sautéed, rather it was still crunchy and gave the dish some texture as well as great flavor. My lovely partner went with scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. He loved how the eggs were scrambled in the bacon fat and was nice enough to give me a piece of bacon to try. It was by far some of the most delicious I've had.

However, the best part of our breakfasts were the home fries. They are generous wedges of red bliss potatoes - not fried - but rather dressed in some kind of oil. They were so tender I
could cut them with my fork. We both tried to guess what kind of oil they used because the flavor profile was impeccable.

What I also enjoy about Colby's, outside of the food, is the no cell phone policy. How nice is it to enjoy a meal with your friends, family or partner without everyone being on their phones?

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boulder, Colorado
“Cute restaurant - Good food, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I ate here for lunch, which allowed me to walk in with no wait and choose a table. I was also lucky that I found parking right out front, which is a big accomplishment in Portsmouth (add some time to your lunch break). The lobster roll was on the special, so I got that and a bloody mary. There was a wait for the drink, but I could hear the server mixing it up fresh - it was well worth the wait, he made it just right. The food came out quickly and was very fresh. The lobster roll was really tasty and had a lot of meat. As far as value, the sandwich was a great value - $11 for a hearty meal, the bloody mary was pretty expensive $7. I was very satisfied with the food, the staff, the location, and the quaint restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“PANCAKES”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stopped here on our trip up to Maine and it was WELL worth the stop! This is a very small diner but enough room at the tables inside. I had the pancakes- these were the best pancakes I have ever had- they were light and fluffy but crisp around the edges as well. My husband got the lobster omelet special and he basically licked his plate clean! Great place to have breakfast and super fast service!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food and quite affordable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The food here was great and affordable for a family breakfast outing. The blueberry pancakes were large but not too thick! The thick French toast seems to be a signature item, and it was delicious! What a great local food find!

Rye, New Hampshire
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

You'll most likely have to wait for a seat but trust me it's worth it. Probably the best breakfast place in Portsmouth - nothing fancy but good, consistent food. Two words... Huevos Rancheros !

• Visited May 2014