“Perfect weekend” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Hotel Portsmouth to your Saves list
The Hotel Portsmouth
40 Court Street, Historic Downtown - Tel 433-1200, Portsmouth, NH 03801   |
Special Rate
Fall rates start at $169!
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
“Perfect weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We went to Portsmouth for our anniversary weekend. I listed this in our reservation and we were surprised with a complimentary upgrade to the king suite.
The decor is so pretty and the bed was very comfy. They provide you with a iPad in the room with links to recommended restaurants and sites to visit.
Continental breakfast is light but it was enough for us.
The only teeny thing we didn't love was the shower set up. It's a glass door that does not slide over and there is no curtain, so half the shower is open. By far, not a deal breaker, but never got that nice warm shower feeling because it was very open. The room and bathroom were spotless.
We plan on visiting portsmouth again and would only want to stay here. Cannot wait to get back!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Portsmouth is our favorite New Hampshire town besides our home town of Holderness on Squam Lake. We discovered this hotel while walking around town. Very good location, lots of parking and that's hard to find in Portsmouth, breakfast is included, outdoor seating area, indoor seating area, large rooms, friendly staff, quiet neighborhood, and the hotel has a lot of character unlike the new very boring square hotels that add little to the charm of Portsmouth.
The price is appropriate for the value you get here.
Try it you'll like it, especially if you like walking around Portsmouth like we do.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
St. Johns, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I were in Portsmouth for nearly a week for his work in mid-September. After having a bad experience at another hotel in area, we reached out to the Hotel Portsmouth and from the initial arrangements over the phone (finding us just the perfect room of those available) through our entire time there we were delighted with the staff and service from the hotel. Additionally, I've stayed in numerous B&B and Inn's across the globe - as an inn-type hotel this provided a beautiful balance of amenities and quaint, truly special character... what a beautiful old property kept in awesome condition! Great location too for visiting the town/harbor. Would stay again and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: 4th Floor room was fantastic - 403 - plenty of room and very comfortable! Also, excellent bed and l...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We celebrated our anniversary in Portsmouth, like we usually do, though always at a chain hotel. We were "brave" this year and reserved The Hotel Portsmouth months ago, because Columbus Day weekend is usually quite busy! I was a little nervous that I wouldn't quite like this new place, that it'd be too different from what I'm used of. And it was quite different, but we loved it!! It was very beautiful and interesting just to look at, inside and out. It also felt very homey and was quiet and relaxing and more personal, unlike a chain hotel in these ways. I was also nervous that it would be too out of the way, as we like to travel by foot through Portsmouth. But that was not a problem at all. While it is on the outskirts of the historic downtown, it's not far at all from the action, and the small distance made it seem nice in the way that it was off the beaten path. We walked all over the downtown from the hotel. The breakfast was light, but yummy. The bed was comfy! The decor was top notch, except I think they could have had a little more in the way of wall hangings in our room. There was one picture on the wall and that's it. Nothing above the bed at all. Maybe they are working on it still? Also could have used some more lighting in the room, maybe a desk lamp.

It was a great weekend and I'm still sad it's over! I hope we can stay here again sometime.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a few nights on a trip to visit family in Maine. My husband and I love Portsmouth and wanted to spend some time without the kids shopping and eating. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly offering great info for places to see and try.

The hotel was clean and quiet and quite simply beautiful.

Room Tip: They have a room for folks traveling with pets.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The Hotel Portsmouth is such a lovely place that I sent a "thank you note" after we'd stayed last August/September. Not only are the amenities top notch, but the guests are treated with special care. Everyone on staff is helpful and attentive, much more so than anywhere else we've stayed. I felt comfortable going about, almost as if I had a new home. In fact, I told someone I could move in and be happy as a clam. I made use of the patio, which is a delight; other guests were friendly, some talkative, some reading, and I felt relaxed wherever I went. The sitting rooms are the same, altho most folks seemed to be outside due to the lovely weather. I can't say enough good about the place. Try it; you'll love it.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the lower level which has easy access to parking and to the patio. Since I smoke, I could...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Holliston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I really enjoyed my one night stay at the Hotel Portsmouth. My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer. Firstly it was so nice to be greeted with ample parking right in downtown Portsmouth. A short stroll and I was enjoying all the fine shops and restaurants. The very pleasant woman working at the desk suggested I look around as the hotel has recently undergone a major renovation. Between the cozy Nautical themed library and the front sitting room/parlor I knew I would love this place. My room was on the third floor and perfectly sized for a solo traveler or couple. I loved that it had a fully charged ipad mini, a beer/wine room service menu, and Malin and Goetz toiletries. The best part of my experience at The Hotel Portsmouth was the bed, loaded with a combination of soft and firm pillows, and one of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever encountered. The continental breakfast was a perfect way to start the day...They even have Noosa Yogurt! I am already planning my next visit.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Hotel Portsmouth? Share your experiences!