“good flavor” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
MA
“good flavor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Some good flavors here but the service was slow and it wasn't busy. We ordered a few apps to share and the calamari was the best. Mussels were also good but the steak skewers were very dry. The dipping sauce saved them. Casual atmosphere was nothing fabulous.

Visited August 2013

nh
“free gated parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

the blue mermaid is a happy place.the staff enjoys working there and goes out of their way to make you feel welcome.i usually order fish but last last night I had thai pai and my wife had scallops.it was delicious.i snuck a large scallop from my wife and almost ordered some for me.they are in the entertainment book.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overrated and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

It was right next to our hotel, so my husband and I and two of our boys, ages 5 and 7 decided to give it a try after seeing that it got a 4 rating on TripAdvisor. Really poor looking inside. No atmosphere. Children menu had literally no items that one would consider a meal. Rest of the items were all spicy. It took us long time to make a choice. Food was ok. Nothing special. Prices were too high for the food and atmosphere we were getting. The server was very friendly and nice but never checked on us after we got our drinks and appetizer. I had to ask someone else to refill our water after waiting for 15 mins with empty glasses. I asked her for a red sauce for calamari, she said ok, and never returned. We waited a long time to get our meal. Won't go there again. There are too many other places here to waste your evening and money "discovering" this place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Somersworth,NH
“A little island feeling in the heart of Portsmouth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

To start with I think it's a great thing that they have there own gated parking area as parking can be a real hassle in Portsmouth. Located on a quiet side street just a couple blocks from the hustle of Market Square this restaurant has a bright and cheery feel on the inside and the staff is very helpful and pleasant. The menu has some really interesting and delicious sounding choices. The food was fresh and hot when it arrived at our table and very tasty. I am a bit fussy about food temp and all the items on my plate were the correct temperature, no one thing cold and the other hot, great job there. I ordered the grilled mahi- mahi with a mango chutney and corn fritters with a coconut dipping sauce and island rice. The chutney was sweet and tangy, the perfect pairing for the fish, the rice was seasoned just right and the fritters were out of this world. My wife ordered the lobster quesadilla which was also very good. They also have a good drink menu and the painkiller is authentic island style. I will be back to try some of the other menu items for sure.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chappaqua, New York
“Reminds me of the Caribbean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Good thing we didn't follow the advise of a local to not have lunch at the Blue Mermaid! We opted to have lunch outside on the deck on a beautiful sunny day. The menu looks really interesting but we ordered the straight up grilled salmon. It was grilled perfectly and the 2 sauces that came with it were yummy! Salad was dressed just right and the grilled banana was delish! Only thing I'd improve on is the portion! Our meal was a little on the small side - the piece of salmon was only about 4 oz. oh yes! Also loved the chips and the dipping sauce. Service was also very good!

Will definitely come back if I'm in Portsmouth.

Visited July 2013