“First impressions don't last long” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Bellevue
“First impressions don't last long”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

When you walk into The Friendly Toast, you are immediately transformed into a neat nostalgic framework, what with all the antiques of by gone decades adorning the walls, cool lamps hanging from ceilings, and the 50's table decor. The "please seat yourself and take menus" sign gives one a carefree impression, which is also cool. And then there's the menu so chock full of interesting options that it feels difficult to make a choice. The server is helpful (immediately bringing water to the table), offering more information of those items of interest. We follow the server's advice, and then things start to go downhill.....

The ordered meals come out quickly enough, and first bites are tasty. I ordered the Georgia Reuben sandwich, with sweet potato fries. I love spicy food, and can tolerate it well, but this sandwich was WAY too spicy, so much so that it detracted from all of the good tastes. My spouse had Eggs Benedict served with home fries, which were also spicy, just not nearly as hot as the Reuben. She liked the eggs preparation, however. So, we needed more water because our tongues and throats were a bit agitated, but there was no server to be found. They were all huddled together near the kitchen talking to one another for about 5 minutes. Bad news.

When we completed lunch, I started looking around and noticed how dirty the floor was from various dropped small food pieces of previous diners. The servers hadn't bothered to sweep the floors on a regular basis. It was kind of gross, especially when the next group of diners were seated. Yuck! Then I visited the restroom only to find it in mild disarray as well.

I quickly paid the bill of $33 (tax/tip included) and we left knowing that besides cool appearances and a diverse interesting menu, we won't be back.

Visited July 2013

West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great Food, LOTS to look at”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had breakfast here with my family this past holiday weekend (4th if July) and was pleasantly surprised with the quality, portions and selection of food here. Does get packed but we had a baby carriage and party of 4 and were accommodated with in 15 minutes comfortably. Definetly worth checking out!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berlin, Connecticut
“A step back in time,very nostalgic-interesting restaurant to eat at.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and my two children who are 11 and 13 ate here on July 6, 2013. We went for breakfast. When we got there, there was a waiting line of about 15 people. The hostess told us it would be about 20 minutes which it actually was. The place was filled and a little warm even though there are ceiling fans, but it was a hot day also. We sat down, waitress came over to bring us water and spilled the water all over table. Oooops!! it happens, no one got soaked! My kids had king cakes- which we had them put into a smaller order ( I suggest you do this, since they are expensive and you get a lot of pancakes which they will never finish) there is an option on menu to have order cut down to smaller size) I had the carribean waffle which was amazing!!! My husband had blueberry pancakes which one was the size of his plate! huge!!!! he also had homefries which were good but spicy!! the food was very tasty. The service was a little slow but all in all it was an interesting restaurant to visit with all the wild 50's décor on the walls.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible service. Great waffles.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Our food was pretty good, especially the waffles! However, our waitress was awful. She was rude and acted irritated whenever she stopped by our table, which wasn't very often. We asked for condiments which never arrived. Hands down one of the worst experiences in a restaurant we've ever had.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Gluten Free Pancakes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Went with a group of six, two gluten free. We all had great meals to start our day of sightseeing. The GF pancakes were awesome and I'd go back just for them. The service was welcoming and positive and the waitress was nice to our kids.

In addition to the pancakes, I recommend a smoothie.

• Visited June 2013