“Great Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 160 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Golden Egg has been serving fresh, homemade breakfast and lunch since 1983! Everything is homemade. Our menu includes eggs, omelettes, pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs benedict (many different varieties), muffins, fruit, homemade granola, etc. We have specials that change based on available ingredients. The result is the freshest breakfast with outstanding variety for a great dining experience.
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was up early and drove along the Seacoast to Portsmouth and was working my way back down toward Rye and Hampton Beach when I saw the "OPEN" sign on at the Golden Egg. I pulled in to find a bunch of locals and some very friendly servers. I ordered the Eggs Sagamore (Eggs Benedict with lobster meat) and was very impressed. It cost about $13 but was the most expensive item on the breakfast menu. The Homefries were also excellent and I honestly wished there was more Bearnaise Sauce to get on each bite.

Visited June 2013

Vermont
“Good experience overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Based on the reviews on TripAdvisor, I had expected a GREAT breakfast. I ordered the banana pancakes (which had received rave reviews) and concluded they were good but not inspiring. What I found was a cozy, low key place, that makes its own baked goods, is filled with local "flavor" where you see friends and acquaintances, and the waitstaff are friendly and efficient. I have a feeling this place grows on you so you could get emotionally attached to it. The tables are closely packed together since it's a small place and it's popular. But a warning to anyone with walking disabilities. It could be difficult to move around there and the one bathroom I saw was one of the smallest I've seen. (Perhaps they have another one ...) I did see homemade baked goods that looked appealing. I would be glad to try this place again, as it's nice to find a friendly, local spot to get the day started.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Erie, Pennsylvania
“I'll give it another try”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I went here on a busy weekend morning for the first time- there was a little wait but we expected that. I had heard such good things that we were expecting a delicious breakfast. I ordered sausage gravy n biscuits and it was cold - I was later told that their best food is in the specials menu. Maybe they shouldn't have such a large menu if not all of it is good?

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Delicious Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Golden Egg was the perfect "small town" New England breakfast experience. Delicious, homemade food, friendly staff and virtually no wait even on busy weekend mornings. Everything was great but especially try the pancakes and make sure to order dessert to take home for later! Delicious!!

Visited May 2013
Northern Virginia
“A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Easy to see why this place is full early in the morning. Folks that live in the Portsmouth area know where to go for a good breakfast, including some imaginative dishes as well as the standards, served by people that make you feel like you're the most important customer they've ever had. We're from out of state and went there (on a local's recommendation) at lunchtime. Both breakfast and lunch menus were available.

• Visited May 2013