“Definitely will go back.. great meal and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Definitely will go back.. great meal and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

My husband hasn't been here since he was a kid.. However very nice atmosphere, comfortable. Great Service... A word to the wise, the buffalo wings have some serious punch.. eat slowly ! The prime rib was fantastic- seasoned perfectly and tender.. my husband had the Captain's platter which he said was very good as well.. Comparable pricing.. We will definitely be back

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul K, Owner at Dinnerhorn Bratskellar, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
We're so happy you and your husband came back to visit since he hasn't been here in so many years! It sounds like you had a great time, from the service to the ambiance.

It's really great that you loved the food, too. You're right: Those buffalo wings are spicy; thanks for letting other TA users know. The prime rib is definitely one of my favorites, so I'm really happy you enjoyed it. We hope you two will come back very soon!

Take care,

Greenland, New Hampshire
“Always the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The Dinnerhorn-Bratskellar is one of those rare local gems that remains just that. Great food, great service, and great people. Whether it is pizza, seafood or steak, there is always something on the menu to make you happy. No wonder we've been going there for nearly forty-odd years now.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul K, Owner at Dinnerhorn Bratskellar, responded to this review, November 2, 2014
Wow, John! Thanks for being such a loyal customer. Regulars like you are what make our jobs so much fun. It's great that you appreciate the variety of choices our menu offers, as well as the great service. We hope to see you again very soon!

Take care,
Alabama
“You can't go wrong with the scallops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

After a long day of flight delays, missed connections and cancelled flights we arrived in Portsmouth about 5 hours later than anticipated. We were exhausted and hungry and it was past time for supper for my elderly parents. While checking into our hotel we asked the desk clerk about good local seafood. He recommended the Dinnerhorn without hesitation. One of our group had the salmon, one the fried seafood platter and two of us ordered the scallops. He got the baked and I got the pan-seared. Some of the best I have ever eaten. Our server was friendly and the food fast, fresh and good. Made our bad day a little better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul K, Owner at Dinnerhorn Bratskellar, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
We're so happy we could provide you some happy relief after your stressful trip! It's so great that your whole group loved all the food so much. Some of the best you've ever eaten? What a compliment! Providing you all with good service is really our pleasure. We hope you come eat with us again if you're ever in the area (hopefully after a smoother journey).

Best wishes,
Dover, New Hampshire
1,124 helpful votes 1,124 helpful votes
“FRESH SEAFOOD & GOOD SERVICE AGAIN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I went with friends to this Seacoast NH dining institution known for quality seafood.

Three of us ordered from the Lunch Menu. Friend #1 ordered the Fried Clams with salad and rice at $13.50. Friend #2 ordered Baked Haddock with Crumb Topping and sides of French fries and coleslaw at $11.95. I ordered my favorite here ---- the Baked Scallops with Crumb Topping and sides of spinach and rice pilaf at $12.95. Friend #3 ordered the Shrimp Scampi with salad at $19.95 from the Seafood section of the Dinner Menu.

As with my October 2013 and previous visits, the seafood was fresh and well-prepared, and service was good. As expected, there were no complaints from anyone. And, that’s because the Dinnerhorn maintains a certain level of quality and trains its staff well.

This restaurant has been in business since 1960 and is under the ownership/management of the second generation of the Kamakas family.

My circle of friends highly recommends the Dinnerhorn for fresh seafood in Portsmouth.

I have eaten here a number of times in 20+ years, and I have always had positive dining experiences. I’ve never had a bad or even a mediocre meal here.

No wonder the Dinnerhorn / Bratskellar has a 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence!

If you found this review helpful, kindly click YES below.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paul K, Owner at Dinnerhorn Bratskellar, responded to this review, November 8, 2014
Wow -- thanks for being such a loyal customer, Maurene! It's always great to hear from our customers who've been enjoying our food for so many years.

I'm so happy that you and all your friends enjoyed your most recent meal as much as any other you've had in the past 20 years. I'm sure your detailed review will be helpful to Portsmouth's newcomers who are looking for some good seafood and a friendly atmosphere!

Sorry it took me so long to check in -- I'm sort of new to the site. Next time you're in, let us know what we could do to give you a five-star experience! Hope to see you and your friends again soon!

Much appreciated,
New Hampshire
“Fair choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We always loved the pizza and returned after moving away. It wasn't quite so good this time around. Not enough sauce, cheese, or toppings and the bottom wasn't cooked quite enough. The Dinnerhorn restaurant has a varied menu, including seafood. The food quality is fine, just not great.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I'm sorry to hear that you wouldn't call our food "great." We really want everything to exceed our customers' expectations! It sounds like we've got some improvements to make to our pizza, and we're going to get on that right away. Looks like it's been a while since you moved back -- we hope you'll give us another shot soon!

Best wishes,