“Disappointing Menu and Service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Disappointing Menu and Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend and I have driven past this restaurant over 100 times and finally decided to stop today. I assumed, based on the name, that they would have an interesting selection of food, possibly some German themed dishes. Boy, was I wrong. Nothing German on the menu. Even the beers on tap weren't specialized and were just standard fare. The place was also extremely hot. I think the clientele is older so they keep the heat high but it made eating somewhat uncomfortable. Our waiter was okay, not very personable and I didn't like how long he took to get us drinks. He didn't even come over once our food was served to ask how it was and actually leaned over me from behind to plop the bill onto the table. Kind of rude. The food was just okay. My friend got baked scallops with rice and absolutely delicious winter squash. In fact, that was our favorite part of the meal. He also ordered a Kona beer which was okay while I attempted to stick with water but it tasted like it had a chemical after taste so I ended up getting a toasted almond from the bar which was very nice. I ordered one of their specials. A chicken sandwich with arugula and on foccaccia bread. The chicken was way over done. I don't like chunks of black on the bottom of my meat ever. Yuck. At least it was inexpensive compared to the scallops. Seafood seemed to be on the higher side on the menu. Would we return? Nope. And we probably would warn friends against going. Very disappointing eating experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Halifax, Canada
“Great Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

A family restaurant specializing in seafood. We had the Blackened Salmon with rice and lemon spinach and the Haddock with mashed potato and butter squash. Both were very well prepared and presented. Portions were large and unfortunately left no room for desert. Good selection of wines.

Visited March 2013
Rye, New Hampshire
“Prime Rib!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you are looking for great seafood and the best prime rib in the seacoast, you must visit the Dinnerhorn. Awesome service, friendly, helpful wait staff.

Visited August 2012
New Hampshire
“Great pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been going there for 20 years. It used to be nearby but we moved an hour away and still go there when we are in the area. If you like handmade crispy pizza, this is the place for you. We usual sit in the Bratskellar pub, but the restaurant is good (3-4 stars). Large booths and tables for families. Have taken young grandchildren. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kittery Point, Maine
“Bratskellar is pretty plain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Bratskellar is a pub-like section in the back of the Dinnerhorn. The Kellar is not much of a German Bratskellar. Having eating there, I still don't know what this pub is about. They served only one German item- Bratwurst, beers are few and rest of the menu is very scattered - Pizza's, Greek, Seafood's, American ? ? Prices seem cheaper than at the front (Dinnerhorn).

We ordered Greek Salad and supreme pizza and both were pretty tasteless; pizza served without cheese or much cheese. Overall disappointing.

• Visited November 2012