“Great seafood in Portsmouth” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jay's has become an overnight institution among locals who appreciate exceptional seafood. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of a gourmet sauce or marinade. The standard menu offers a more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cake, Haddock Piccata and the popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open Seven nights a week.
Methuen, MA
“Great seafood in Portsmouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

We thought the seafood here was top notch, and the service was very attentive despite some of the reviews I have read to the contrary. One of the dishes we especially liked was the P.E.I. mussells. They were outstanding. My wife said her salmon was outstanding - obviously fresh and cooked to perfection. The halibut cheecks I had were also delicious. The atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but we went there because of the food.

My only gripe: I might not mind paying $10 or even $12 for a martini in an upscale restaurant, but the atmosphere at Jumpin' Jays doesn't warrant the ridiculous prices they charge for cocktails.

Love ya' Jay, but your booze prices are out of line -- sorry.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Southbury Ct
“Jumpin Jay's is both cool and delicious!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Tried Jumpin Jay's on our first of a recent two night stay in the bustling town of Portsmouth New Hampshire. We arrived about 6 on a Thursday night and by 6:30 the place was filled > I would highly recommend reservations whenever you go. To start they serve delicous bread along with sweet roasted garlic cloves, olives and butter. And they keep that bread basket filled for you as my husband went to town with the garlic and bread. What a nice treat! I had a bowl of seafood stew that was incredible. My husband went for the striped bass and a sampling of their sauces. The striped bass was superb.The sides were excellent. For our taste the lobster sauce would be just fine next time we go. The restaurant is rather bistro-ish and fun. The wait staff reallly hustle and we found them all to be very good at what they do. We chatted with neighboring tables. I noticed many people ordered the mussels. One lady said it is all she ever gets there and they are always sensational! Note to self : on return visit and there will be a return--get the mussels! We found the prices rather fair for the quality of the food. We considered returning the second night as well and then decided to try someplace else-to our regret! This is not a fancy place or very large but we found it good and lots of fun as well (we are old fogies in our sixties!) We think this restaurant is a find!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PENNSYLVANIA
“jumpin jays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

My daughter lives in Portsmouth - of all the meals we have had in our trips to the city the best by far was Jumpin Jays - 5 star all around and the price was more than accomodating! Fresh bar, scallops, and crab cakes all par excellente!

massachusetts
“Like McDonalds, only more expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

If you like the food presentation you get at McDonald's, then you'll like this place. Burnt fish comes with sauces in little cups - just like McD's! And you get to pay 10 times the price! The servers argue with you, just to make sure don't get the impression you're at a real restaurant. And the atmosphere is loud and drafty. The only things worth eating are the oysters. Enjoy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Fishy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

I live in Portsmouth and go to Jumpin Jays whenever I have the chance. My husband entertained a group of 12 colleagues here for a holiday dinner and it was a hit. Everyone loved the raw bar, the micro brew menu and commented on the superb service. And the service is equally superb when the two of us eat at the bar. Favorite dishes: linguine and clam sauce, tuna steak.