“Over priced and the food is BAD!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 183 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Organic, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Features an expansive deck overlooking Portsmouth Harbor, lounge with one of a kind 360 degree bar, and a diverse menu appealing to all palates.
Budapest, Hungary
“Over priced and the food is BAD!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I live in Portsmouth nh and eat out a lot! Although this restaurant is in a great location the chef needs to be replaced. To put it simply I'd rather have a burger at MickyD's at least it would be hot and a reasonably good value. I have tried three times, the last with a gift card, I wish I had gotten a gift card to a good restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Get Away and Dinner Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited Martingale Wharf during the early fall and found the location and river view to be wonderful and the atmosphere to be really nice for a late afternoon beverage. We were in Portsmouth right after Christmas and wanted to try it for dinner. The main dining room has the bar in the middle of the room. Granted a cool bar for a social time. However, rather than seating us near the window with a view of the river, we were seated along the back wall of the room. The tables near the windows were set for 4 or 6, and it was just my husband and I. There was a group of 4 loud guys sitting at the bar right in front of our table which was unfortunate. Also since the bar is the focal point, they have large screen TV's in view of nearly everywhere in the room - which doesn't fit with a nice quiet dinner - but you don't realize it until it is too late!
The service was excellent - our server was appropriately attentive and pleasant - her style of service fit with an upscale dining experience. The food was mixed - I had the Grilled Rare Tuna which was excellent. It had lobster, parsnips, and baby brussels sprouts with it. I am not so sure it really was lobster though. My husband had Pork Saltimbocca. It was fair, prepared like cutlets so not really as expected though he did not ask ahead of time how it was prepared.

All in all it was a good experience and we would give it another try but having different expectations. If our server had not been as professional as she was I probably would have given it a lower rating. On a crowded night it would be a lively place if that is the type of experience you wanted. They only take reservations for 6 or more. We would try it again for a casual dinner not a "fine dining" type of experience. The river views are a plus and it has great deck for warmer weather.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kensington, N.H.
“Dinner by the television, really?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We were told that the Martingale Wharf was one of the newest restaurants in Portsmouth, and well worth the visit. It has a wonderful location, with a dining area flanked by large windows looking up the Piscataqua River.
However, the dining room is centered by a bar, with the obligatory large screen TV's tuned to sports channels. Other dining areas are available, but they too feature TV's prominently. I did not expect to be greeted by that sort of ambience in a restaurant where entrees are in the $25 to $40 range!
The room itself has an odd decor, reminding my dining partner of a cruise ship. Our meals were acceptable, but not outstanding, and the staff, in their black shirts but allowed to wear their choice of jeans was a mismatched lot.
Not a place that I would consider for a memorable meal!

durham, nh
“Great evening out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had drinks and appetizers at Martingale recently, and found it a wonderful experience! Found a quiet area off the main seating/bar area that held about 20 people. We had nice arm-chairs surrounding a low table for our party of 6 and ended up getting a selection of drinks and excellent appetizers. Bargain on the otherwise expensive menu was the muscles with fries (it really is a great combo!) at just $10 for a huge kettle-full. The bar area is very noisy, but an energetic atmosphere. Nice that they have some quieter lounge areas removed from the crowd scene.

Visited December 2012
Dover, New Hampshire, United States
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

If all your looking for is a glass of wine with a beautiful view I would recommend, but that's all!! Service was horrible,food was worse! We we're at our table for at least 15 min without a single person acknowledging. I got up and asked the hostess if we could get some service.If I at least have a cocktail I'm happy! She said she'd send someone over. Another 15mins nothing! Finally had to ask to speak to the manager. He finally sent over the bartender to take our drink order.Shaky start I was hoping it would get better, it did not! The food was cold, tasteless, and the portions small!! I got the braised short ribs, no flavor what so ever! The scollop dish had 3 scollops, the swordfish was suppose to have a pomegranate sauce which was nonexistent and cold! Not a good experience at all! My hope is they do get better.Maybe they can workout the kinks before summer so we can enjoy the view and the food!!

• Visited October 2012