“Fun family day - be prepared for crowds if the sun is shining” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 28 attractions in Portsmouth
Type: Water Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: No one packs more fun into a water park than Water Country! We’ve got over 26 acres of your kind of fun for the whole family. Then again, we are New England's Largest, Cleanest, Safest, and Friendliest Waterpark! With cabanas and picnic areas, Water Country is the perfect place for your next birthday, party, family reunion, or group outing. Attractions like the all new Dr. Von Dark’s Tunnel Of Terror, Adventure River, and the Tahiti Tree House for children, ensure everyone has a good time at Water Country!
Medway, Massachusetts
“Fun family day - be prepared for crowds if the sun is shining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Water Country is always a good time, though I prefer it on overcast days when it's not as busy. While ticket prices are a bit high, you can offset it now by bringing your own lunch & drinks now that they allow coolers in. Make sure you ecure a picnic table well before lunchtime as they go quickly. Park staff are very friendly & helpful.

Visited September 2012

Topsfield, Massachusetts
11 attraction reviews
“A Fun Day for All”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I and two granddaughters, 8 and 11, visited on the last Thursday before Labor Day. Weather was beautiful: sunny and not too hot. After buying out tickets on line I read the most recent reviews so went with some fear. We arrived before it opened and had just a short wait to get in. They have separate lines for those with advance purchases/summer passes and those who needed to purchase their admissions. Saw lots of chairs and chaise lounges and had no problem finding 4 together near the wave pool. Wave pool was clean (unlike some reported) and there were plenty of lifeguards. By noon the lines were only about a 20-30 minute wait to get to the start of a water slide and we had no really long waits at all the whole time. No need to rent tubes for the slides as each one has its own supply, but some slides could have had more tubes as sometimes the line to get a tube was longer than the line for the slide. One set of "big" slides has a conveyor belt which brings family/4-person tubes right to the top, a nice arrangement. The staff at each slide were not very engaging/friendly, just doing their job w/o conversation. Overall, tho, the loadup routine was caefully handled. Some slides did not have a minimum height sign at the bottom, causing some kids and parents to have to walk back down, a hassle on the narrow steps. We bought lunch at one of the snack bars; prices were a bit high and quality was so-so. Many familes brought their own and ate at the many picnic tables under trees. Saw lots of kids having a great time w/o much horsing around, line jumping or otherwise behaiving rudely or badly. Saw lost of adults also behaving well. The grounds appeared well-kept and clean; lots of trash barrels everywhere. All in all, a fun day for all of us!

3 attraction reviews
“Fun for little kids; long waits for slides”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have visited Water Country 4 times. It’s fun for little kids, but I tire of the very long lines and waits to take a 30-second slide. The newest slide, Dr. Von Dark’s Tunnel of Terror, is a letdown. I had heard that it was like a funhouse with flashing lights and scary stuff as you slid through, but I saw none of that– it’s just a slide in the dark. It spits out a tube every 25-30 seconds, so if you’re 50th in line, your wait will be 25 minutes.

The Lazy River is a looping canal; you pick up an inner tube and float along in it for as many loops as you like. It’s pleasant, but I feel the park has abdicated managing this attraction– there is a riot (and not a laugh-riot) where one enters and exits the loop, with people jostling and competing for tubes and blocking the canal. It is less and less fun and more anarchic.

Again, the little kids loved it. But I'll be glad when they are teenagers and I can turn them loose while I find some shade.

Portland, Maine
3 attraction reviews
“Bit of a let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

After visiting southern water parks in recent years that are overflowing with greenery and well laid out, I was dissappointed by this park. The layout didn't flow and it was like they kept slapping together parts and pieces. The waits were too long and with no clocks or entertainment to keep you occupied it led to frustrated customers. It's pretty bad when you hear kids in line at a water park say they can't wait to get back to the hotel. Also, the "lazy river" was anything but. It was more like a water assault. Who wants to be bombarded by buckets of water dumping on them at every turn and having cannons of water aimed at their heads? On a final note, there is so much they can do to improve the ambiance of the park. While standing in line, after waiting an hour for a water slide you look down over what can only be described as a junk yard. Nice. While I understand it would be impossible to maintain palm trees in New England, the pavement filled grounds just make you feel like you are in a parking lot. While I will probably visit again, my expectations are definately lowered.

Wrentham, Massachusetts, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Overall it was a good day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Before going I read a lot of really terrible review about this place which for the most part seemed to say "don't go on a weekend". So we went on a Tuesday, which lucky for us, poured rain at about 7:30 am, which I think kept the crowds down.
It was clean. Staff was friendly. Waits ran about 20 min at the most crowded.
If you want a lounge chair/picnic table you really have to arrive at opening or shortly thereafter or you will be out of luck.
It's pricy. We brought a cooler and I went to AAA and received a decent discount which saved me about $30 on 4 tix.
Kids had a blast. Crashed for the car ride home. I sat in the sun and enjoyed the wave pool and lazy river. If I had my choice I would have rated it in between good and very good but Overall it was a good day so gave them the benefit of the doubt.