“Simply the BEST Water Park in New England” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 28 attractions in Portsmouth
Type: Water Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: No one packs more fun into a water park than Water Country! We’ve got over 26 acres of your kind of fun for the whole family. Then again, we are New England's Largest, Cleanest, Safest, and Friendliest Waterpark! With cabanas and picnic areas, Water Country is the perfect place for your next birthday, party, family reunion, or group outing. Attractions like the all new Dr. Von Dark’s Tunnel Of Terror, Adventure River, and the Tahiti Tree House for children, ensure everyone has a good time at Water Country!
Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
“Simply the BEST Water Park in New England”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We went to Water Country after having missed a year and it's so fantastic. My favorite rides are Geronimo, Dragon's Den, and the Super 8. The lines to the family rides were short, and the black family ride was SOOOO refreshing. Went with 2 teenagers and an 11 year old. What a great day.

Insider tip: Bring your own food. They have typical entertainment food, and the ice cream is great, but bringing your own makes for a more family affair. Bring a hammock too.

Visited July 2011

Dighton, Massachusetts
“Amazing place that I will always have fun at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

This place is absolutely amazing! It's the perfect place for younger kids, teens, and adults. Are you into exciting rides that gets your blood pumping? They have those. Are you the type of person who would rather relax and take it easy? The adventure river and the wave pool is perfect for you! Even if you have younger children who aren't into rides yet, the Pirate's Lagoon and The Tahiti Tree house are excellent choices for your kids. They let your kids have absolute fun and I even enjoy myself there when I'm a teenager. On top of that, even if you're not sure that a ride would be right for you, there are signs before the rides showing the thrill rate. Also, the people working there know what they are doing and if you're interested in a job there, then you can take a training course. Hungry when you're there? You can either choose to bring your own cooler with food / beverages or get some tasty food at the shops that they have inside. It;s overall a wonderful place for family and friends and I love going there.
~~Christina; age 13

Visited July 2011
concord,nh
“WHAT A RIP OFF STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

My kids went close to the last day they were open paid full price and was told that the rides were closed and would reopen later to go get on another ride. After waiting two hours they finally got on a ride. When they went back to the ride that they were told would reopen the two hours had passed and the ride was shut down again. I spoke to the manager Travis a young man who had no customer service at all and will probably never move up in his career. Would not give me even a partial refund or anything. Just had a very terrible attitude. So stay away and don't let them become rich on your money for terrible service,we all work to hard to have places like this rip us off.

New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
“Frustrating Experience on August 30, 2010...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

As another reviewer has observed, August 30, 2010 was a nightmarishly-crowded, 90+ degree day at Water Country, when most of their staff had returned to college, nearly all of the concessions were closed and seemingly at least half of Metro Boston decided to converge on Water Country. No discount was offered to reflect the lack of staff, but I suppose a $60 season pass is sort of a discount (relative to a $36 ticket, and assuming you want to go again). They were short on lifeguards, so they could not operate the lazy river and wave pool at the same time, and the lines for all of the major slides were ridiculously (reportedly over an hour) long - WAY too long for young kids' attention spans. I took my two kids, and we spent most of our day (noon to 5 pm) at the Tahiti Treehouse, Pirates Lagoon and Big Ollie, which my four-year-old enjoyed. My seven-year-old really enjoyed the triple giant slides without waiting too long (about 15 minutes), which worked because there is a pool at the bottom of the slide where we could wait for him. Other rides that we could have ridden, but for height requirements and the fear factor, were Warp 8, Black Hole, Shoot and Screamer. The wave pool and lazy river did not have any appeal - just a sea (or river) of humanity. The lines for the family raft rides (Thunder Falls and Wild Canyon) were ridiculous. We bought season passes on-line before we went, figuring that we could go back in 2011 and time our visit better, but after experiencing Whales Tale (see my review) today, we may not go back to Water Country again. Such a different experience. Given roughly equal drive times, I would highly recommend Whales Tale over Water Country, or recommend that you heed other reviewers (and a lifeguard's advice) and go on a cloudy or rainy day. Contrary to some other reviews, we found the park generally clean (aside from a band-aid floating in the water, which is to be expected, frankly) and most staff to be professional and courteous (if few and far between). The infrastructure itself seemed fine, from what we were able to experience, but the Tahiti Treehouse (reportedly new this year???) really showed some serious wear and tear, and was limited to guests under 54" tall (unlike similar features at other parks, all of which seem to have one of these installations). We saw a number of irate customers visiting Guest Services seeking refunds, which did not appear to be forthcoming, and it appeared that Water Country management was not terribly concerned about impressing its visitors during the last week of the summer season. Perhaps we just caught it on a bad day, but overall, we did not have a very good experience at Water Country. I probably would not have written this review, but for our vastly superior experience at Whales Tale.

Boston, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“Better not go in late August”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Despite the fact that they stagger the schedule of rides late in August so that not all of them are open all the time, Water Country still charges you full price if you visit them late in the summer. Further, the operating hours are reduced, but the price doesn't change. That said, this is America where capitalism is encouraged, and the demand was greater than the supply on Monday, August 30, 2010. It was a beautiful day, almost 90 degrees, so it made sense to go to the park. We bought our tickets for a reduced price through AAA. We knew going in that the park was going to close an hour earlier starting this day for the rest of the year.

When we got to the park we were advised that at no time during the day would the Adventure River or the Wave Pool be open at the same time. The park was packed and the lines were long. When we went to check out the Adventure River at 12:45 when it opened for the day, it was literally a tube-jam of people floating by at a lazy pace. This was probably because it was so hot people wanted to get into the water and the Wave Pool was closed. We went back to the River at 2:50 and it was closed and the Wave Pool was slated to open at 3. We joined the mass of humanity that was being funneled into the Wave Pool area through the small archway used to control the number of people going into this attraction. It was nice to get in the water, but I couldn't help but think how much better this would be if both the Wave Pool AND the River were open - maybe fewer people in each.

The first time (maybe first two) down Geronimo really is a heart stopper. Thunder Falls and Wild Canyon are OK, but are very slow.

At the end of the day after seeing a long line at the Dragon's Den all day we decided to brave the line and try the ride before the park closed. We waited 50 minutes to get a tube, then another 10 minutes to actually get on the ride. But it was well worth it as the ride lasted almost 50 seconds! (I wear a watch and had been timing trips) The ride really is cool, but there's no way I'm ever waiting an hour again for 50 seconds of fun.

Overall, the park seems to be a victim of its own success. Because so many rides are tube based, you have to wait longer because the person with the tube has to get on it, etc. The park rides are definitely not models of efficiency. And the rides have plenty of space for long lines, although many are shaded.

Water Country is the kind of place where I can only go every few years, because when I'm there and its packed I can't help but think that I spent $30 x 4 in the family to stand in long lines for rides that last less than a minute, and on Monday, August 30, 2010, all rides weren't even open at the same time to lessen the impact of the huge crowd. However, maybe on a rainy day in July there would be fewer people, but then again, there would probably be fewer rides open.

I would only recommend this to a friend with many strings attached.