“Exceptional food, service and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Demeters is a spirited celebration of the classic American steakhouse experience in a comfortable, modern atmosphere. We offer a selection of USDA prime steaks, fresh local seafood and housemade pastas, along with a casual grill menu with burgers, sandwiches and shared appetizers. Our bar features handcrafted speciality cocktails and a world-class selection of more than 250 bottled wines. And with spacious private rooms and patio dining, we are Portsmouth's ideal place for any special occasion.
Stratham, New Hampshire, United States
“Exceptional food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I looked forward to my first outing at Demeter's Steakhouse, and everything far exceeded my expectations. The menu was enticing with a variety of entrees to satisfy any personal taste. I ordered steak; it was tender, boasting a perfect blend of seasoning. My chosen side dishes complimented my entrée, leaving me comfortably satisfied. The wait staff attended our every need. They were knowledgeable, friendly and very willing to do anything extra. Lastly, the atmosphere was calming. Even though they were very busy the night I was there, we were treated as though we were the only people in the restaurant. I am looking forward to a return trip this summer.

• Visited February 2013

North Hampton, NH
“Consistent & Elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Frequent travel kept me away from dining locally for most of 2012. My first evening out was, of course, to Demeters. I was glad I returned.
Dining out alone I sat at the bar and was immediately greeted warmly by Nunzio. His service is beyond exceptional; familiar, engaging conversation without being intrusive. Nunzio's timing and personality are indicative of a true professional.
The food - NY Strip (rare) and a side of sauteed spinach - was cooked to perfection and delivered with flawless timing. The portions are huge and presented in a manner consistent with the worlds best establishments.
The wine list satisfies without qualification. Plenty of glasses available; bottles include the best from France (my favorites); all poured generously.
I'd recommend for couples, singles and those who desire a grand night out each week without the pretense that typically accompanies this caliber of restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
nh
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We enjoyed our meal very much. The service was great. Had the owner located downtown, he would be slamming busy, but not a great location for a good steakhouse. It is in a remodeled Toyota building.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Demeters is worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have visited Demeters a few times, and have never been disappointed. I LOVE a good steak, and I can honestly say that I have never had a better steak than at Demeters. Whether I request the prime rib medium rare, or the porterhouse well done, they are always right on. My husband doesn't eat red meat, which has never been a problem since he can choose from the lobster ravioli, a chicken dish, or we can split the surf and turf. I've also had a burger at the bar with my sister, and again, it was superb. The staff is well trained, professional, and make you feel right at home. They are also knowledgable and attentive. I know some people think they're prices are high, but they are comparable to any Portsmouth restaurant. They may not be downtown, but they are well worth the trip!

NH
“Extraordinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been to this restaurant on a few occasions and each time my expectations have been exceeded. The level of personalized service coupled with an exceptional, yet relaxed, dining experience has been un-seen in other area restaurants. I do not have a negative thing to say about the quality of the steaks served. My meal has always been a well portioned, and cooked to my specifications. My experience exceeded the expectations associated with the price of my meals.

These experiences let me to host a recent corporate event in their event space. My clients were very impressed with level of service from the attentive and knowledgeable staff. I plan to visit this establishment often as possible, and host future events.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere