“like a dormitory” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Thornhill
“like a dormitory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Very basic room, It felt like a dorm room my daughter stayed in. Nothing fancy about it. Very hard to get in to and out of with a car. Boulevard the whole way down the centre of the road. Drove the GPS crazy. Not too far from the downtown area and we found free parking and a free shuttle...weekends only. Took a harbour cruise...well worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Alexandria, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Brief Review: It sounds like a good deal, but don't take it. It's not worth it. Stay some place else and enjoy yourself.

The Full Review: We arrived at the Motel 6 on August 1 not expecting anything glamorous, but expecting a clean and respectable motel. I started to have my doubts when I found a large group of twenty-somethings arriving with their coolers, all of them talking and laughing just outside the motel or in the tiny lobby. It had the look of a party motel.

One of the maids was upset at the front desk because someone had used hair dye and it was all over the floor of one of the rooms and they had to close the room down even though it had been cleared as OK to check in to. This seemed to cause some sort of chain reaction because the next woman who came to check in was told she could have either a smoking room or a non-smoking room with a broken air conditioner. The woman was upset having reserved a non-smoking room and was told "we can't guarantee you'll get the room you want, just that you'll get a room.' I've traveled a lot and never had to take anything other than what I'd reserved.

My friend and I took our keys and headed up to our room only to find it was open and hadn't been cleaned. Back downstairs. The clerk was frustrated as the maids had cleared that room as ready. My friend and I sat down and listened as person after person came in and was offered the smoking room (the rooms don't smell too bad, but the halls really stink one of the clerks told them) or the broken air conditioner room. Some poor soul took the broken air conditioner room though it was quite warm and muggy.

After about ten minutes our room was ready, and I was skeptical. It didn't seem enough time to clean but we went up and passed a shirtless twenty-something filling his cooler full of beers with ice and returning to the room next to ours. This didn't look good. We opened our room. The room was made up, but I found a hair on my pillow and my friend discovered the bathtub was filthy with grimy streaks. We didn't continue our inspection. My friend called downstairs to complain and the head maid came in and agreed the room was filthy. I whipped out my phone and searched for a hotel nearby and found the Hampton Inn around the corner. We got the last room and were very grateful.

We went downstairs where my friend worked for twenty minutes to get a refund. At first they only gave her half, but after a call to management, she was given a full refund.

Nothing is included at the Motel 6, so you get what you pay for. You have to pay for Wi-fi, there is no free breakfast, no shuttle service. We arrived at the Hampton Inn and happily paid more money for these services. The breakfast was delicious and the free shuttle service (took us anywhere in a five mile radius) was worth the extra fee alone.

Do not stay at the Motel 6, despite the lure of the make-over and cheap price. The shuttle driver for the Hampton Inn is a local and says Motel 6 has always been a party spot because of its cheap prices. A bunch of kids rent a room and party all weekend. He did it himself when younger.

If you're twenty-one and looking for a good, cheap party spot, pick this place. If not, stay far away.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Webster, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We arrived at the Motel 6 at two and was advised our room would not be ready until 3. Luckily there is a strip mall across the street that has a Trader Joes. When we back around 3 our room was ready. Apparently the rooms had been refurbished (?) and the decor was fun with an attractive contemporary theme. The room was clean and I'm liking these rooms with no carpet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Duxbury, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Had a reservation for a non smoking handicap accessible room. When I got there, the first thing I noticed was the stench of smoke in the tiny lobby. I was told they really don't take reservations but just hold a room but all they had was a smoking room or one with no air conditioning. Room was disgusting smell of smoke, no ac, black specks around the toilet, no bureaus, closets or table. Never again!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Middlesex, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We tried to check in at 2:45pm they told us they do not actually have an actual check in time. our room was not available. We would need to come back later. Don't leave the light on Tom we will not be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The room was what I was expecting, clean and basic. Seemed recently renovated, with fresh paint and flooring. Staff was friendly. The only downsides are the noise from the other rooms' doors closing, and a strong urine smell in one of the stairways. I would definitely stay there again, but use the elevator only.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

For the price they are charging this motel it's not worth it. We paid $197 for 2 nights .
Pros- rooms were renovated and no carpet on floors which is good. Rooms we're clean. Beds were comfy- I had much better tho but I also had really bad so this was ok.
Cons- no shampoo, no conditioner no hair dryer in the room. Walls are paper thin I heard people talk upstairs to me. No mini fridge in room. We had to pay $2.99 per night for wi if which is ridiculous. The motel is located on a main highway where it isn't accessible from across the street so we always had to do a u-turn to get to the motel. Very complicated to get to some places like Walmart from there. I won't be returning to this place - no thanks.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Portsmouth? Share your experiences!