“excellent service, cheap and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Portsmouth
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3 Gosling Road, Portsmouth, NH 03801   |
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Brossard, Canada
“excellent service, cheap and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

i first reserved a smoking room with 2 doubles beds for 2 nights for 200$ CAD but finally arrived at place, i asked if there was any non smoking room available. the receptionnist found us a 125$ CAD rate for two night in a non smoking room. she even apologizes because there were no A/C in our room but this was our last concern. we just needed a clean room to stay for two nights. she was really kind with us and professionnal.

only the mattress aren't so comfortable, but i guess with a sleeping bag it would be way better.
also, our non smoking room smelled cigarette because the odour came out of the trap in the bathroom, but we don't care for 60$ a night.

in general, i would recommand this motel if you just need a place to stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Au Sable Forks, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I chose Motel 6 because it was cheaper than all of the surrounding motels--and that was appropriate. I was hassled because I needed to check in early (normal check-in is 3; I'd been told on the phone there would be no problem checking in early) but finally got a tiny but OK room. It smelled of disinfectant and smoke--the 3rd floor is a smoking floor and I was on the 4th floor. I didn't know you could have a swimming pool that small & still call it a pool. It was fine, just not something you'd want to repeat much.

Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I made my reservation 2 months in advance and was specific about needing rooms on the first floor with fridge and microwave. I had stayed here previously and only once had an issue with a reservation that was resolved on the spot. This time was different. They could not give me my room b/c the air conditioning was broken and wouldn't be fixed anytime soon, and they did not have the second room listed as first floor or w a fridge. They did not have any rooms left on first floor or w a fridge so they put us on the second floor (which was ok but hard bc elder person with us has vertigo and feet problems). I did ask that they find a fridge for us and the front desk staff did bring up a fridge and microwave (which was unusable b/c it was missing the turntable). One of the rooms had pubic hairs in the tub and a squished dead spider on the wall by the bed when we first arrived. Not a great way to start your vacation. The cleaning staff was much better while we were there and the front desk staff was great but management was conveniently absent during our stay. Also, you should know that the secured side door was never secure as it didn't close properly unless you slammed it. We always found it open when we returned no matter what time of day or night. This was a disconcerting. There were noticeable urine stains on the carpeting on the first and second floors and a noticeable pet odor on the first floor. The beds in one of the rooms was hard b/c it lacked support so we often had to play musical beds so we could get a good night's sleep. I guess you get what you pay for. I must say that the staff was wonderful and did everything they could to help our stay and this made our stay bearable. When Motel 6 asked us for a satisfaction survey, I was honest about everything. They did respond with their apologies and said they would look into it. That's nice and maybe they will but it doesn't give us back the aggravation and discomfort. So I will probably just put more money away for next year's trip and find another hotel chain that values and respects its consumers a little more. This place is the least expensive option around but not worth the added frustrations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portsmouth, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Michelle J - Thank you for submitting your review and for recognizing the friendly service you received from our staff. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the cleanliness, bed comfort and room availability issues you encountered. These issues are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we appreciate your taking the time to respond to our guest relations survey so we can address the issues you encountered.
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for $100/night on a recent busy summer weekend in Portsmouth when all other hotels were priced at over $260 for a Saturday night, if there was even availability. The motel is about a 10 minute drive away from the downtown area, but too far to walk. Lobby was neat and check in was quick and courteous. Hallways were well- maintained.

Our non-smoking room looked as though it had been recently refurbished. Bedroom had newer carpet and was of a good size with quiet, efficient AC. Bathroom (and bedroom) looked to have been recently painted and bathroom had a new shower/ bathtub combo with a rainhead shower (yay!) and a shower curtain rod that curved outward so that the curtain doesn't constantly stick to
you when you shower. Water pressure was good. Shower curtain, towels and bed sheets were
clean, although the towels were a bit on the small side. Bathroom could have used a fan as it got a bit steamy in there after we all took hot showers. TV was old style but had a good channel selection. No fridge in the room, although one would be nice if we had a longer stay there.

There was an outdoor pool in the back that looked clean and inviting. No breakfast in the morning, but they do put out coffee and there are a few vending machines in the lobby. There are several chain restaurants in the immediate area and a mall across the street with a Trader Joe's. Plenty of parking in the hotel lot. Hotel was very quiet at night even though it was fully booked and we had no problem sleeping. This was a great economical yet comfortable choice for a budget weekend getaway.

This

Provincetown, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had a reservation at this Motel 6 for August 10, 2013 to attend my 40th High School reunion being held in Portsmouth, H.H.

I Drove from Boston, MA. which took 3 hours due to heavy weekend traffic.

I arrived at the motel and entered the lobby to check in. The desk clerk was counting and sorting money in a section / area beside the front desk and told me she would be with me in a few minutes. I replied, no problem. Ten minutes later she comes to the front desk and asks me if I have a reservation, I replied, yes. She "pulls up" my reservation on the computer and confirms my reservation. I arrived at the motel at 2:00 - 2:15 pm . . .

BUT . . . . She tells me that my room would not be ready / available till 4:00 - 6:00 pm ! I replied, what ? She continues to inform me that they are sold out and very busy. I calmly asked her if my room would be ready closer to 4:00 pm or closer to 6:00 pm. She replies . . . "I have no clue" !

I am not familiar with the Portsmouth, N.H. area and the 1st. reunion scheduled activity was to begin at 3:00 pm. I wanted to shower and get dressed to attend my reunion. It was clear that this wasn't going to happen, not at this Motel 6 !

She actually told me that Motel 6 does not guarantee a specific check in time, Only a check out time. What ? ? ? She proceeds to ask me if I booked my reservation through "Price Line" . . I replied , Yes. She said to me that Price Line has no clue what their doing.

Not wanting to over react . . . And not wanting to "settle" for being held captive to this motel, I asked if there was a "financial penalty" if I cancelled my reservation. She replied , no. I decided to cancel my room . I returned to my vehicle and drove back to Boston !

I have years of experience in "public service". I have been a waiter, a bartender, 33 years as a hairstylist and owning my own Ice cream store.

It takes a lot to "stun me" . . . I was beyond stunned by this motel's apathy, unprofessional attitude of "who cares", "not my problem".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portsmouth, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear hawkeye10k - Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the level of service you received as you attempted to check in. The service you described is certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we are very sorry that you decided not to stay with us as a result. We kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
New Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Love this motal and its location. Stay here often en route to Maine. Easy highway access, staff always helpful and friendly, room is spotless and comfortable, and the location is great. Longhorn Steak House across the street, and IHOP around the corner. Plus every chain store one could want to check out, yet location is quiet and peaceful. What more could one want for about $60 a night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Will not come back to motel 6.. no clock in room. No.shampoo. not kid friendly... Front desk called to ask if we had kids running around,, we were watching tv... Can't believe what they charge for what you get.. would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't go to motel 6