“Awesome Stay for the Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Shopping Package
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Westport, Connecticut
“Awesome Stay for the Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My family visited for the weekend for business and pleasure. Although the hotel was full to capacity with hockey teams and bus tour groups, the hotel was incredibly quiet and efficient. Front desk service was prompt and gracious. Breakfast buffet was generous and assistance was lovely. Happy hour offerings were an unexpected bonus. Rooms were impeccable and the decor throughout was elegant and refined. Beautiful local historic photographs of Portsmouth filled the rooms, lounge and elevator waiting areas. I was honestly very impressed with this hotel. The staff do go out of their way to accommodate guests, which included my elderly father.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
MSchlaeger,
We appreciate you choosing Hampton Inn Portsmouth for your travels, and we thank you for writing a review about your experience. It's wonderful to hear you and your family enjoyed a quiet stay and found our accommodations, amenities, and friendly service to exceed your expectations. We hope to extend our hospitality to you again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

Cathi Tingley, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we discovered complimentary beer, wine, egg rolls and more served in the late afternoon for no cost. Difficult to drive from hotel to restaurants or town without getting lost (we don't have GPS). We relied on the shuttle instead. The downside of that is that it takes much longer to use the shuttle than to drive one's own car.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
lr_sheen,
Thank you for writing a review from your stay with us at Hampton Inn Portsmouth. I'm delighted to hear our manager's reception exceeded your expectations and added a pleasant and unexpected value to your stay. We're glad you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service, and apologize for any extended wait times that you may have experienced. We value you as our guest, and do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Princeton, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn, Portsmouth, NH for two nights. Worst hotel experience I have ever had. Larry at the front desk was rude during check in. Took about a half hour until we were given a room, even though we had a reservation. Our room was not clean. On the headboard was a sticky note saying that the sheets and duvet cover are changed for each guest. Seemed very strange to me to find that sticky note. The sink did not drain, and we found hair on the floor of the bathroom. We went down for breakfast around 8 am in the morning and all the tables were dirty. We had to clean them ourselves so we could sit down to have our coffee. On our second morning there, I couldn't wait to leave and start our long drive home. I went downstairs to load the car just before 6 am and couldn't get back into the hotel. Apparently, they keep the doors locked and there was no one at the front desk who could let me in. I knocked on the door several times, but it took about 15 minutes until someone showed up to open the door. Oh, and in the parking lot, most of the spots close to the front door were reserved for Elite guests only. Those spots were empty the whole time we were at the hotel. I've never stayed at a hotel that had reserved spots for Elite customers across the whole front of the hotel. We ended up having to park in the back of the hotel each time we came back. Oh, and we also asked them for a cart for our luggage on check in since we had been traveling for two weeks. They had to look for one since there were none in the lobby, but never brought it to us. After we carried everything from our car parked in the back of the hotel, we saw the cart sitting in the lobby. I will never stay at that hotel again, and did in fact report them to HHonors.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Queensbury, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed one night this past weekend and were less then impressed with this property.
When I originally made the reservation over a month ago I had booked two nights, but two weeks before arrival I had called to cancel one of the nights. A few days before our trip I checked my reservation online to find out that both nights were still on my reservation. I called again to request the cancellation of one as well as a confirmation which I was given. Needless to say I would have been upset if they charged me for two nights after I had called and cancelled.

Positives about our stay-
Hotel was convenient, had a free shuttle, and was clean and modern
Negatives about our stay-
Hotel was LOUD, I have personally never experienced such loud noise in any hotel.
I could hear word for word conversations in the room next to ours. We were located on the second floor above the lobby entrance and we literally heard people talking all night as they stood outside to smoke. Another negative was the sound of the pluming. We thought they were using a jackhammer somewhere at 6:30am when really it was the sound of the plumbing in the walls.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a higher floor?
Rachy817,
We appreciate your feedback from your stay. It's unfortunate to hear about the areas where we fell short of meeting your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the noise disturbances you experienced during your stay and any inconveniences that resulted. On a positive note, I'm glad you found our convenient location, complimentary shuttle and clean hotel well suited for your travels. We thank you for your feedback and hope to have an opportunity to provide a more positive experience in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Oakton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting my son at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH. The hotel is in a convenient location to restaurants, shopping and a movie theatre. The selection for breakfast was fine, I enjoyed the fruit. It is nice to just take the elevator down to get coffee and not have to get in your car and drive some place. The lady working at the front desk was very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ruth F,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Hampton Inn Portsmouth. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while visiting your son at the University of New Hampshire. I'm delighted to hear our convenient location, friendly service, and value added amenities made for an enjoyable stay. We hope to welcome you back as our guest for all your future visits. Thank you again for writing.

West Lafayette IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is an older Hampton that has been remodeled and is a step below the top-tier Hamptons, but we had a good stay. Our room was clean, quiet, and large. The free breakfast had a smaller selection than some Hamptons, but it was fine. The Manager's reception included beer, wine, popcorn, and egg rolls. It isn't walking distance to downtown, but as others have mentioned, there is a shuttle to downtown. Also, if you have a car, parking in the garage at Hanover and Market was easy and very inexpensive.

Make note of the address or directions on the hotel's website because it is tucked behind a retail area and isn't easy to find.

azogal,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your visit with us at Hampton Inn Portsmouth. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we're glad you enjoyed a quiet stay in our clean and spacious accommodations. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

Madison, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was our 50th wedding anniversary and we couldn't had pick a better place to stay. From the time I made reservation with the young lady, very pleasant, very respectful, very helpful, meeting the management staff as we walked in, the clean room, the indoor swimming pool, the breakfast(great), shuttle service and the staff, who were great. It was a great choice by my wife and I and we would stay there again. We have bragging to our family and friends. Also a lot of stores for the wives to go shopping. And not far from I95. A great value for a great place.

JOHN S,
Happy 50th wedding anniversary! We appreciate you sharing such a special occasion with us at Hampton Inn Portsmouth, and for writing a review about your experience. It's wonderful to hear that our staff's excellence in service made for a fantastic stay and memorable anniversary celebration. I look forward to sharing your complimentary feedback with our team. Please come back and visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing and sharing your recommendations of our great hotel to friends and family.

Cathi Tingley, General Manager

Been to Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central? Share your experiences!